Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chadd77

Portable generator

chadd77
11 years ago

Looking at purchasing a portable generator. On average we lose power twice a year for 24 hours. Nothing crazy but hoping a generator/transfer switch will make the outage more manageable. I�m looking to run my sump pump, fridge, standup freezer, water pump, furnace fan, and some lights. The 2 models I�m looking at are: Generac XG8000E and the DuroMax10000E. Both get decent reviews and both are around the same price. Looking for some feedback on both models. Thanks in advance!

Comments (13)

• kalining
    11 years ago

you will be looking at starting 5 electric motors. The
    GenerCrap 8000 is not a good idea. 10000 is bare minimum.
    If you can make sure all 5 don't start at the same time the
    10000 MIGHT work.

• countryboymo
    11 years ago

I doubt you will have all 5 start at once. For rare outages I would unplug the freezer during the day or the busy part of the day and leave it plugged in through the night. I would vote for spending the money for a interlock switch or transfer switch first and then look at the budget for the generator second. It don't matter how much money you spend on a generator if you accidently kill someone with it.

• chadd77
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I appreciate the feedback. I'm ok with dropping a little more cash on the Generac 10000 if that makes more sense. Didnt' realize there was a huge difference between the 8000 and the 10000 model.

Question on the transfer switch. Which switches do you guys recommend?

• obadran
    11 years ago

I've been looking at gens to. Make sure you read the specs. I almost got fooled by the model numbers indicating wattage.

For example, the DuroMax 10000, I think is 10KW surge, not continuous, while the Generac 8000 is 8000W continuous.

• petey_racer
    11 years ago

Saying a 10k "might work" is completely ABSURD!
    That load is NO different than any other smaller residential load. I know folks that run all that and more, easily and safely, on a Honda 4500.

Anything from a good quality 5000 up to a decent 8000 would be FINE.
    Keep in mind I am talking running watts. I ignore starting or "surge" watt claims.

• chadd77
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You guys no anything about this model? I can't find a lot of info about them but they look like solid generators. Any info would be appreciated. There is someone local in my area selling one. They bought it for the storm and did not need it and I'm able to get it at 1/2 the cost.

http://www.tahoepower.org/gas-generator.html

• elltwo
    11 years ago

Download the owner's manual and warranty and see if you think it's reliable.

• yosemitebill
    11 years ago

"There is someone local in my area selling one."

His name wouldn't be P.T. Barnum, would it?!!

Seriously, $4000 for one of those cheap Chinese made generators is unbelievable! And it's only 6.5kw.

You may want to Google "Tahoe Industries".

• chadd77
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I tried googling it but wasn't able to find much about the company or reviews on the products. The link I posted is the generator that they are selling. It's a 9000. The new price is 4,000 and I have them down to 2,000. It's brand new. They only started it to test it. But if it's Chinese junk I'll pass on it. Would love to hear your opinion on the company if you have used their products before.

• chadd77
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I tried googling it but wasn't able to find much about the company or reviews on the products. The link I posted is the generator that they are selling. It's a 9000. The new price is 4,000 and I have them down to 2,000. It's brand new. They only started it to test it. But if it's Chinese junk I'll pass on it. Would love to hear your opinion on the company if you have used their products before.

• yosemitebill
    11 years ago

The bottom of the Google search return page also offers related search terms which have been used by other people.

• petey_racer
    11 years ago

Ummm...not sure about this model, but most Generac is made in the USA.

• chadd77
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm very familiar with search engines and how they work. Again, I wasn't able to find much info about the company. I found articles where people were trying to sell generac generators with the Tahoe name on it.

If you have info on them I'd love to hear about it.