Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutmegxo_gw

UGLY refrigerator - searching for solutions

nutmegxo
13 years ago

We are in the process of making improvements to our kitchen...we painted our pickled "pink" cabinets a nice crisp linen white. We just ordered beautiful granite countertops. We painted the walls a rich dark red color (SW's Wild Current). And in the near future we will be tiling the backsplash and floor.

Last weekend our refrigerator conked out on us - so it was perfect timing to purchase a new one. We bought a GE Profile stainless steel french door (freezer on the bottom) refrigerator with interior LED lighting...it is perfect in every way.....well perfect in every way EXCEPT the sides of it are hideous! SO UGLY!!

We did not realize this in the store because all the refrigerators on display were right up against each other and it never occurred to us to look at the side of the cabinet. When the delivery guys were bringing the new refrigerator into our home, my husband and I gasped when we saw the ugly sides of it. They are a dark grey color supposedly to "blend in" with the stainless steel front. But in our opinion it is terrible looking. Only one side of it is visible because the left side is against a wall. But the right side is exposed and I am desperately trying to come up with "creative" ways to cover it up.

We asked the appliance store about this to see if we could order stainless panels to apply over the sides and they said they did not have such a thing. Apparently this is how most stainless french door refrigerators are manufactured nowadays so we have to deal with it as is.

Here is a stock photo of the refrigerator we purchased:

{{!gwi}}

I am thinking that others on this site have encountered the same problem. If anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear about it. I am thinking that it would be great to put up stainless panels to cover it up but then again the stainless might not match the front of it. Then I was thinking of getting a giant calendar and sticking it up there with a magnet. Children's artwork???? HELP!

Comments (43)

• oceanna
    13 years ago

Yeah, that's what I was thinking -- children's artwork. Or how about hanging some type of table runner over the top and down the sides?

I just bought a new fridge too, but it's not stainless so it's the same on the front and the sides.

One can paint a refrigerator, but I wouldn't advise it with a new one. Or you could decoupage it - lol - jk.

Or, can you make some type of panel that you can put on it yourself?

• suero
    13 years ago

Do you have enough room on the right side of the fridge for a plywood panel painted to match your cabinets?

• missmary - 6b/Central Maryland
    13 years ago

Uh... sorry to have to mention this --- (I have trouble dealing with this myself) ---- but you can't use magnets on a stainless steel refridge. No Magnetism!

I just sold my GE Profile S/S french door fridge yesterday on Craigslist. It was like yours but it was counter depth. Came with the house. V-e-r-y small freezer section. How big is yours (cubit feet, I mean)?

Everyone says/thinks I'm crazy! I bought a Kenmore Side by Side instead. 3 Cubic feet bigger than the GE Profile.

I do love the look of the GE Profile, and the reflective sheen of the stainless is beautiful!

Ok -- so, in answer to your question.... when I bought a new refridge for our last house, about 2 years ago, I insisted on the grey side, because the only alternative is a black side... and at the time the black was "standard". I see now that they've decided that the blending grey is better... which is what I thought all along. I guess it's how it shows in your kitchen, but I think the grey is better than a "two tone" black and stainless steel mixture on the fridge.

Miss Mary

• nutmegxo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the feedback so far! I have been searching online all evening and came across this product (link posted below). Seriously thinking about trying it out! It would only be $45.00 for the size roll I would need to cover the one side of the refrigerator.

As for the magetism - the side of the refrigerator is definitely magnetic. I am only looking to cover the sides - not the stainless steel front. (It is only the stainless front part that is not magnetic.)

Here is a link that might be useful: FAUX STEEL FILM

• folkvictorian
    13 years ago

There's something called faux steel (fauxsteel.com) that seems to be a thick imitation stainless steel sticky paper. Maybe you could try ordering some to see what you think. According to the website, it's made in Germany and it's for covering appliances, etc. I don't know sizes....a quick look at the website shows dishwasher fronts, so I don't know how large it's made. No spam and no experience with this stuff, but it may be worth a try!

• gwbr54
    13 years ago

Is there room to add a cabinet around the frig? I always prefer that look anyway.

• Happyladi
    13 years ago

Can you return it?

• oceanna
    13 years ago

This looks like an interesting solution:

Here is a link that might be useful: Got an Ugly Refrigerator? Got an Ugly Refrigerator?

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

What about getting a bulletin board the size to cover the side of the fridge and put it on with sticky sided velcro. You could post a calendar, artwork, shopping list, etc.

• homebodymom
    13 years ago

Great idea vampiressrn! I was about to suggest children's artwork too, but like your idea much better!

I have the same fridge, but in white. I have to say I LOVE it. It is huge, well lit, and holds an amazing amount of food. No searching around for anything. If you can work out the "ugly side issue", I think you will be happy with the fridge. Good luck!

• jakabedy
    13 years ago

There are fridges that are wrapped in stainless steel. I know Kitchen Aid makes them, because we considered getting one. I know you already have your fridge, but I just wanted to add this for anyone else who is still in the planning phase.

• User
    13 years ago

GE DOES make a stainles aftermarket panel that you can place on the side. It's part # PS26SPLSS and retails for about $350 each.

Personally, I much prefer the built in cabinet to more shiny stainless!

• daisymc
    13 years ago

Take it to the local body shop and have them paint it with car paint whatever color you want. It will hold up extremely well.
    Maybe you can even take that panel off to get it to the body shop instead of the whold frige.

• nutmegxo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the input. We are considering going with the FauxSteel solution. To answer some of your questions:

No, we cannot build a cabinet around it. There are cabinets above the fridge and a small section of cabinet to the right of it (with countertop on that section) so building cabinets around it would look ridiculous.

We did go to the appliance store where we purchased it and discovered that every single refrigerator in the store had the same gray side. I know there are certain ones made with the stainless look all the way around but they are a rarity. (I saw an Electrolux in Lowe's like that for example). We do love the functionality of the fridge we bought - it is very spacious and has LED lighting.

So at this point, we might go with the faux steel.com solution. I am also going to the local craft store (Michael's) to see if they have oversized picture frame magnets or something similar that I can apply to the side. I will post pics at some point!! Thanks everyone!

I am really excited because our new granite counters will be installed later this week...I will post pics!

• lyfia
    13 years ago

What they mean with build cabinets around it is to have a top cabinet that is counter depth and then add a side of 1/4" plywood next to the fridge to cover it and make it look built in. Or if you have an existing shallow cabinet above it. Move it out and add the plywood.

I have the same fridge in Black and love mine.

• Carol_from_ny
    13 years ago

why not use fabric on the sides? Hold in place with magnets. When it gets dirty or you get tired of it simply change it out. Over the fabric you could easily place art work or any thing else you wanted.

• cinnamonsworld
    13 years ago

GE divides its refrigerator site between built-in and freestanding fridges. It sounds like you likely bought one of the built-ins. I think that side panel they sell would be a good idea.

I looked at one of the freestanding fridges on their site, and on that one it said stainless doors and side panels.

I'll bet a lot of people end up buying built-ins when they intend to buy freestanding, due in part to a lack of comprehensive customer service at the store.

Here is a link that might be useful: GE fridges

• nutmegxo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I definitely do NOT have a built-in. I have a freestanding fridge. And I cannot build plywood around it. I have a small section of cabinet with counter on the right side of it. I was told that GE does not make stainless panels for this fridge.

• ghostlyvision
    13 years ago

How about a faux stained glass cover made out of clear Contact paper? This link below gives directions for making one for a window but I don't see why it wouldn't work on the side of your refrigerator. You wouldn't even have to do a stained glass effect, any design/color that coordinates with your kitchen would likely look a lot better than the grey side of the fridge.

Here is a link that might be useful: Faux stained glass cover

• jejvtr
    13 years ago

nutmeg

Sorry about your refrig dilemma

I think you may be not understanding the surround solution -
    It seems that the entire left side is exposed & part of the right side - a "cabinet" solution really is just adding a simple panel from the floor to the cabinet above refrig on the left side and same on right that would somehow go from counter to top of cabinet.

Out of all solutions that one seems like the best suited. I'm afraid that artwork, magnets, other applications are just going to bring more attention to an area that you want to recede.

If you post a pic, both here & on the Kitchens forum I think you may get some great ideas for solutions.

• lyfia
    13 years ago

Link is to a pic of my old kitchen where the plywood went down to the counter on one side.

Here is a link that might be useful: old kitchen

• avesmor
    13 years ago

Seeing the offending side, and the surrounding cabinets would really help generate solutions.

From your description, my brain is creating a long skinny chalkboard (you could make one with chalkboard paint) to cover the offensive protruding side. You could write a welcome message, or turn it into a calendar, or shopping list, or just put up a purposeless word like those vinyl wall cling things.

I have a little girl and treasure every piece of art she creates, but have never been inclined to post it on my fridge. Something about "chills my food" and "display for treasures" has never been terribly compatable to me.

Alternately, many offensive things become invisible with time. I had calico sample paint-splotched walls for so long that we would "forget" we had to eventually commit, and it took a surprisingly short time to stop seeing how horrible our walls looked.

• nutmegxo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I guess I do need to post a picture - I will try to do that this weekend. I love the idea of a wood surround but I don't think it would like right with the layout of my cabinets. I think if I posted a picture it would be easier for you all to see what I mean. The left side of the fridge is COMPLETELY concealed because there is a piece of wall there. The right side of the fridge is partially exposed - there is cabinet above (that does not come out the same depth as the fridge) and on that same right side that the fridge is exposed, there is a very small piece of cabinet with counter (that small section of cabinet and counter are a deeper depth than the cabinet above it.....this is why I am saying that a wood surround would not work because the upper cabinets are not the same depth as the lower cabinets. I will try to post a pic!! :)

• blubird
    13 years ago

I have 2 pictures posted on the kitchen forum of a fridge/cabinet situation just like this. If you'll look at the 2 pix of the redone kitchen you can see that I have a regular depth fridge (with the gray sides) with a surround. The cabs to the right (in the picture) are not as deep as the surround - the upper cab is not the same depth as the lower. I think it looks just fine.

However, my surround was put into place before the cabs were installed. Could you remove those cabs, install the surround and reinstall the cabs?

Helene

Here is a link that might be useful: pictures of new kitchen

• Stacey Collins
    13 years ago

Hmmm... I still think you can do the "surround" thing, and that it would look best.

My fridge is up against a wall on the left side. The right side abuts a section of upper and lower cabinets with countertop. I have a cherry (to match cabs) panel that covers the side of the fridge, and the whole "built-in" look is wonderful.

It seems to me that you would have to:
    1) remove the cabinet above the fridge, and re-install it further out to be flush with the front of the fridge (or simply buy a new, deeper, over-the fridge cabinet and paint it to match your other ones)
    2) add the plywood panel (with a paintable poplar edge cap, very easy to do) and paint to match cabinetry.

here's a picture before the additional trim was added above the fridge, toekicks, etc... My panel goes all the way down to the floor next to the lower cabinets, but if you don't have extra room for that it looks totally fine to end it right on the countertop (I had that in a previous house).

• Stacey Collins
    13 years ago

There's a really recent thread over on the kitchens forum with some GREAT photos of this (I even saw a link with how-to instructions!) You might want to check it out:http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0912441710999.html?3

Here is a link that might be useful: Fridge side panel

• nutmegxo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello everyone I am back!

StaceyNeil that is a really nice picture. Can I ask you where you purchased the hood for your stove? And what kind is it?

Anyway, I finally took pictures. Our granite was installed yesterday...we are very happy with it....it is Sienna Bordeaux. The tile backsplash will be installed next week so pardon the messy look in the pictures.

Here is a picture of the refrigerator and surrounding cabinetry. Right now I have magnetic calendars hanging on it to try to hide the ugly gray side.
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Just to give you a feel for the kitchen, here is our island and a close-up of the granite. We painted the cabinets Linen White. (They were formerly pickled oak that had that horrible pinkish tone to it).
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• les917
    13 years ago

I would have the fridge cabinet painted the same white as your kitchen cabinets. At least it would look like a part of the whole area.

But that would be my second choice. First would be to return the fridge and find one with stainless sides, if that is the look you like. Or, if you can�t find one in your budget that has the stainless sides, then buy a white one to blend in with the cabinetry.

• Stacey Collins
    13 years ago

nutmegxo,
    It's a Thermador hood we got on close-out at a local appliance store. I wanted something very simple!

Seeing your pics, I'd still do a "surround" if it were me.... Plywood with capped edge on the right, and pull the upper cabinet forward to the front of the fridge (or buy a new deeper one.) I think it would be a really nice, elegant way to finish that corner. PLus, it is soooo much easier to access that cabinet over the fridge when the doors are not so far back!

• nutmegxo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Stacey - I agree with you, it is next to impossible to access that cabinet right now. Luckily we have so much storage in the kitchen that we don't have anything in those cabinets...LOL.

les917 - We really do love the functionality of the fridge and don't want to return it. Another option that we are looking into is to purchase stainless side panels from Frigo. They claim to make panels to fit any fridge - the cost is around $300.00 or so.

• housefairy
    13 years ago

As stated by others one of the reasons it's bugging you is the cabinets needed to be sized to match the fridge. Right now if you pull out the top cabinets it will make the bottom one look undersized. And unfortunately there is no way to fix the granite countertop except cut a new piece.

Have you went to a place that makes graphics for autos and boats? They might have something that replicates stainless steel. Be aware that you might want to pay them to apply it to the side of your fridge. Think of contact paper with super sticky abilities. I bought letters for a boat and applied them myself. What a chore to get on straight and without bubbles. A piece that size would be a nightmare.

• CaroleOH
    13 years ago

Yes, I agree, that gray side isn't real attractive.

I think part of the issue is your top cabinet doesn't come out as much as most over the fridge cabinets do such as some of the other cabinet/panel fridges posted for you to see. For that reason, I don't think a panel would do much good because it would still leave quite a bit of gray showing.

Is the fridge pushed back as far as it will go? It seems to stick out more than the usual amount for a standard sized fridge.

I would go with the stainless steel panel that you posted. It seems to be the easiest solution that will appear the most natural.

• andee_gw
    13 years ago

The picture you posted really helps explain your problem. Put the extra $300 into the project and consider it well-spent. You will probably be very happy with the results. Good luck and let us see the after pictures (bigger please -- I'd like to see the new granite better).

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Yes, I agree, the panel will solve the problem asap. Sorry you have to spend extra $$.

Your thread called attention to something that I'll need to deal with too. Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Panels are out there!

• deegw
    13 years ago

Whatever you buy for the side of the fridge, make sure you can return it. The ugly gray side is what is bothering you right now but I think the real issue is the scale of the cabinets to the fridge. Even if you add the panel, the fridge is still going to stick out quite a bit.

Hopefully, the panel will work out for you. But you may want to decide if you want to spend $350 for a bandaid fix or wait a while and use the money towards rebuilding the cabinet area. You'll have to scrap that bit of granite on your lower cabinet but you could put some feet on the bottom of it and it would make a nice serving tray. The granite on the lower cabinet could be replaced with butcher block and then you wouldn't have to worry about finding another piece of granite.

• avesmor
    13 years ago

I had a similar situation, being a fridge that was way too deep for the place I wanted it. Fortunately we were constructing, not remodeling, so I could catch it before any damage was done. My solution was to recess the fridge wall (I recessed the entire wall, but you could do just the fridge portion of it) about 6", limiting the eggregious protrusion to about 3".

If you want to keep the fridge, and can't find an amicable solution to disguise the side, would that be an option?

• nutmegxo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think the depth of this free standing fridge is normal - it just looks so out of proportion in the pics I think.

Avesmor - on the other side of the wall behind the refrigerator is the dining room so recessing into the wall is not an option.

I am comfy with putting out the $300.00 for a stainless side panel - I do think that would look best. I have posed all of your suggestions to my hubby and he says that recrafting the cabinet above it would be "very involved" lol. Remember he just painted these cabinets over the summer so to go tearing things apart would not be the best thing. He also seems to think that the rest of the kitchen would look mismatched if we altered that one cabinet. It is hard to tell from the pics but this is a very open layout that I guess can be called a "Great Room" because it is all connected to the family room without any walls. Here are bigger sized pictures as requested!!! We are getting our tile backsplash installed this weekend so please excuse the ugly beige paint below the cabinets....that will all be covered with tile!

• susanterban_verizon_net
    13 years ago

Oh no!!! The same thing has happened to me. I love the GE Profile fridge but cannot live with the ugly gray sides!

Please let me know what you finally decided!!

• homemakermom
    12 years ago

The same fridge here, it's our secondary fridge in our mudroom and the whole one side is exposed... I liked somebody's sticky velcro idea. I'm thinking about attaching some cork tile with velcro. Then securing burlap fabric over it with upholstery tacks and using it as a message board.

• minty88
    9 years ago

What did you end out doing? Anyone ever think of having a cabinet maker make a panel that sits on the granite instead of being next to the granite? It would kind of slip over the fridge.

• minty88
    9 years ago

What did you end out doing? Anyone ever think of having a cabinet maker make a panel that sits on the granite instead of being next to the granite? It would kind of slip over the fridge.

• Barbara Parry
    8 years ago

I have a stainless steel fridge with horrible black sides.

One side is exposed to my off white dining area.

I purchased a folding screen in a distressed off white. The panels are a heavy fabric like canvas.

The screen came with 3 panels so one panel is folded in. It can also be removed.

I had to be sure and get a screen that is short enough to go under a wall cabinet that is over the fridge.

I'm going to attempt to send a couple of photos.

I like the way it turned out and it was inexpensive and no work or mess at all. No more black and the screen blends with my off white walls.