Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vineyard_gw

Stencil above fireplace mantel?

vineyard
15 years ago

I'm trying to decide where to place this stencil - should it go right above my fireplace mantel? Or should I leave room for decorating on the mantel and put the stencil above? Here is a pic of the fireplace (it's in our living room):

Here's option #1 (btw, the stencil will be painted to match the mantel; it's black simply because I copied it online):

Here's option #2 (I guess I can always decorate the ends only, so as not to cover the stencil):

Which would you choose? Would you do a stencil at all?

Aloha,

Leilani

Comments (29)

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

I think I'd go with the stencil above to keep the option to change my decor with ease on the mantle with mirror, art, candles, garland etc. That is going to be a beautiful grand focal point in your room! Looks like you will need visual decor to balance with the height of your ceiling?

• dainaadele
    15 years ago

My vote is for on the top. Bodica is right about the height issue. Looking back, I would also vote that you have it higher than in the mock up. So that the border on the sides match the border on the bottom. It is absolutely perfect for that fireplace. It will be gorgeous!

• User
    15 years ago

I like it in the lower section just above the fire place, it has a better balance there.

• nicole93089
    15 years ago

I like it in the lower section also. Maybe with one or two simple items on the mantle, or nothing at all. I think it will lose it's impact being high above and especially with an assortment of visuals on the mantle. Your eye won't know what to focus on.

• onedog3cats
    15 years ago

Ditto what nicole said.....

It looks great with that fireplace. Post pictures when you get it done.

• creekylis
    15 years ago

I like it higher, and I think that is a fabulous space!

• Pieonear
    15 years ago

I would not use the stencil because I'd want that beautiful mantle to be the focal point. I think it's enough.

• justgotabme
    15 years ago

I'm so loving the stencil and think it would work in either place. Personally I'd want it up high since, in my opinion, it fits that area better. Though I do like the idea of if on the lower section to just have two matching items on either side of the mantle and nothing else.
    I'd think about how the rest of the room will look before I'd make a final decision. But without any though to that in a bare room the height of the stencil (upper section) would look the best to me.
    ~Becky

• redbazel
    15 years ago

I like both the stencil and the mantel, but feel that they are too much together.

Red

• magothyrivergirl
    15 years ago

I think the stencil competes with the mantel, which is gorgeous. I suggest letting it shine. Decorate the the mantel shelf, then consider the stencil if you think the overall chimney still needs that something extra.

• nhb22
    15 years ago

I'd leave it off, or maybe come up with something else to put on the upper part of the fireplace. Your stencil competes with the mantle.

Have you thought of painting the fireplace (not the mantel) a shade of paint between the wall color and the mantel color, to set it off?

• justgotabme
    15 years ago

DOES EVERYONE REALIZE THAT SHE'LL PAINT THE STENCIL TO MATCH THE SURROUND?
    Sorry to "shout" that, but wanted to make sure other's saw it, because before I read what she wrote about the stencil being copied from a website I didn't like it either. I know many have missed things like that when I write between pictures.
    ~Becky

• vineyard
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh! I forgot to mention that the fireplace (not the mantel) will be faux finished to look like the mantel. The idea is to unify the mantel and the fireplace, which is why I went searching for an appropriate stencil. I think this one matches perfectly...

Thanks, Becky, for pointing that out (I don't like the stencil being black either!)

So many good points you all have brought up, thank you! It doesn't make this any easier...so...I think for now I will go ahead and faux finish the fireplace, install the mantel, decorate it, take more photos and post a more "finished" room scene to get your opinions at that point. I can always apply the stencil at that time, anyway.

Thanks so much for your responses!
    Leilani

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

The stencil is beautiful with the mantle or on the rise above. Personally, I feel it competes close to the mantle and would not want much else added, but to my eye, above, the stencil links the style of the rise to the mantle. I love to rearrange to suit my moods and seasons, so I would keep the mantle area free for decorating fun. The mantle is spectacular and of great interest but alone with the height of the wall and grand windows on the right, I would feel something's missing. We should have asked the room decor. With the windows and mantle I concluded you like details and interest, so from the middle of the room, as you slowly turn full circle, what are the levels your eye naturally follows? Make a paper stencil to size and move around with the treasures you want to display and see what feels balanced to you. Really looking forward to the pictures, this room is wonderful!

• magothyrivergirl
    15 years ago

For the record - I did realize the stencil would be painted the same color - I still think it would compete with the mantle, especially now that Leilani added that the chimney would be faux finished the same as the mantle. One of her options for opinions was not to stencil at all - still my vote. The entire fireplace has beautiful lines.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

I love everything and think the stencil is beautiful. I prefer it on the upper tier. I'd love to see everything when it's finished!

• johnatemp
    15 years ago

Gosh, that is a gorgeous surround!!
    I am thinking like selecting dinnerware for a table - let the ornate(the mantel) be the focal point. Your other components simple.....
    I think you are right in finishing the faux painting b/4 adding the stencil.

Can't wait to see pics.

Smiles:)

• vineyard
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bodica, magothyrivergirl, bumblebeez and johnatemp...thank you for your kind words! I've been a little under the weather, but SO want to complete this project - so I'm going to have DH put the scaffolding in the living room and I'll take some DayQuil, have some tea and get to work! :)

Hopefully, I'll be able to post updated pics within the next week or so...

• brutuses
    15 years ago

I love mirrors and fireplaces together. Have you thought about a mirror on the top portion? It would have to be quite tall of course. You absolutely need something up there to bring the eye up. I'm just not sure what it should be.

• dixiedo
    15 years ago

I vote for the stencil up high... it will look like beautiful art!!

• DLM2000-GW
    15 years ago

Leilani have you considered doing the stencil in a raised relief before you faux the fireplace? It would have the added benefit of true shadows, you'd faux it all at once, and the whole thing would look more integrated. Of course the downside is having to make a placement decision first!

Since the plan is to have it all be essentially tone on tone, I'd place it in the upper chimney area where the shadowing will be all the emphasis it needs. That leaves your mantle free for whatever you choose.

• punamytsike
    15 years ago

I like it lower, seems to blend in more with the surround. Higher up, the eye goes there and then there is a wierd cap fo r me in between. But I guess it is matter of taste after all :)

• allison0704
    15 years ago

I like it lower too. I would thin down the paints before stenciling to give it a washed look. A friend did something similar on a range hood. Very faint, soft colors and it looked really nice.

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

Oh my yes, dlm2000's relief suggestion would really be unique! Exactly what material is your stencil, transfer, waterproof cut out,thin or self supporting? How much patience are you known for and what other details have you planned for this room? If you like the relief idea, another option is to make molds of the fireplace surround details you can then transfer elsewhere in the room; examples on the sides of the rise, create sconces, between/under the windows, add on wood furniture, on picture frames, on and on, only your imagination to follow! Or, maybe where you found the surround has more,but it would be cost effective if you don't mind making the molds yourself, to always have for future ideas. OH What Fun!!!!! Wish you lived next door!!!!!
    {{!gwi}}
    Stenciled Relief Example

• lynninnewmexico
    15 years ago

Another vote to leave the stencil off. It's a great stencil, but IMHO the busyness of it will compete with the busyness of the fireplace surround itself. I'd prefer to see a nicely framed painting propped up on the mantel. Nothing too busy, but something in keeping with that gorgeous fireplace with, perhaps, a couple of nice chunky candlesticks on either side of it.
    Lynn

• vineyard
    Original Author
    15 years ago

brutuses, I also love mirrors above fireplaces, but I don't think I want something that heavy up there.

dlm2000 & bodica, I think a raised relief stencil would really be pretty! This is the stencil I was looking at, it's actually a headboard, but I wouldn't use the two outer posts, the top part connecting them and the bottom base in the center (I took them out when I copied and pasted this onto my fireplace):

Unfortunately, this stencil is not made to be used for raised relief applications...which if I had to commit to doing that before faux finishing, I don't think I could decide yay or nay or the location of yay!

So, I will start fauxing on Wednesday (our painter needs to use the scaffolding till tomorrow) and see how it looks after I'm done.

I haven't decided what's going on the opposite wall yet, but it will most likely be a tapestry or a rug, something on a very large scale. The room is ~16' x 18' with a barrel ceiling that tops out at ~20'. From the entry looking down onto the living room (it steps down 2 steps), the fireplace wall is on the left, a blank wall is on the right and a wall of windows is directly out back.

Perhaps a landscape painting would be nice to set on the mantel, to fill in that space appropriately...and then I'll see if the upper portion of the fireplace still seems like it's "missing" something. I don't know, we'll see...

I promise to come back and post pics as soon as I'm done fauxing!

Aloha,
    Leilani

P.S. Here is a coordinating stencil that goes with this one, but I couldn't think of an appropriate application on the fireplace to coordinate with the other stencil:

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Oh, the relief stencil is beautiful.

• shebeeb
    15 years ago

I like the one on top because it draws your eye upwards. It is a beautiful fireplace!

If you put the stencil lower, your shelf decorations would always be fighting for attention, and you would find yourself arranging your decorations "around" the stencil.

Best wishes,
    ShebeeB

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

I vote for it up high, and think it will look great with the faux finish. Just look at the pattern of the mantle and the faux finish on it. That grand space crys out for something , and the stencil is perfect!

Still waiting for finished kitchen pictures.... :)
    aloha