Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Good bed pillows?

Sueb20
13 years ago

This is probably a very personal thing, but where would you buy great bed pillows? I sleep on my side or my stomach (trying to train myself out of the sleeping-on-my-face position but it's so hard!) and I have been waking up with a sore neck a lot lately, so I think I must need a new pillow. DH sleeps on his back, so he obviously needs a different type of pillow. I can't remember where I got the pillows we have now, but they weren't anything great. I'm willing to invest in good pillows! Any suggestions?

Comments (26)

• sewwhatsnew
    13 years ago

I also am in need of new pillows, I would love to LOVE my pillow. My husband has allergies, so we can't buy down pillows. We use basic king pillows, and they seem to flatten out after a year. Should I buy smaller pillows?? I tried the memory foam but didn't care much for that. A friend is buying a pillow that stays cold, not sure if that's what I want either. Were side sleepers, if it matters. Please share your favorite pillows with us.

• juliekcmo
    13 years ago

I recommend the primaloft pillows from The Company Store.

Great if you have allergies.
    I like to have both the standard, and the Euro square size. I am a stomach sleeper.

My DD's one request for her dorm room bedding was to get some of those pillows too.

• juliekcmo
    13 years ago

Almost forgot. When I ordered, If I signed up as a registered login on their website I did get 20% off my first order. So that was nice.

• User
    13 years ago

I buy 100% down pillows from cuddledown. They usually have a good sale at least once a year. I love that i can wash and dry them if need be.

• trancegemini_wa
    13 years ago

I've been using latex pillows for about 10 years now and I love them because they are soft and they dont squash down. I used to be a stomach sleeper but had to train myself out of it because I was waking up with terrible neck pain so now I sleep on my back or side. The latex ones are good for people with allergies because they are mite and mould resistant.

• yayagal
    13 years ago

I use a Temperpedic pillow for neck pain. They have a higher lift and then a place for your head and then a lower neck hugger that really helps for neck pain. I've used it for ten years and buying a new one soon. I got mine at a Brookstone outlet which you can find online. They retail for over 100.00 but the outlet sells them for 49.00

• annzgw
    13 years ago

Like yayagal, I use a Tempurpedic pillow mainly for sleeping on my side. My second pillow is down.
    Tip: if you buy a down pillow, buy one that has a zipper so that you can add/remove feathers to get the density you want.

Check out the link below and you'll see they have a 'side pillow'. The cut-out portion on the bottom lets your shoulder fit right in and allows the pillow to take weight off that area of your body. Feels great!

Any mattress retailer that sells Tempurpedic will let you test the pillows.

Here is a link that might be useful: pillows

• Oakley
    13 years ago

I finally found the perfect pillow but darn I can't remember where I got it!

I sleep on my side also. I bought a king-size down pillow, extra soft. We have a Queen bed.

I use a Walmart "medium" pillow under it to give me a bit of height when I sleep.

I put my head on one end of the down pillow and hug the rest of the pillow..with the W.M. pillow under it. The down pillow just melts to my body.

My pillow is a good ten years old and I know I should replace it for sanitary reasons, but I just can't. It's like my "blankie." lol

• User
    13 years ago

I have spent so much postage money on ordering down pillow on-line to get the fullest ones possible and they still aren't firm enough for me. I also tried expensive ones in local stores but they weren't as good as the on-line down specialty stores. So, I finally found ones at BB&B I like: Laura Ashley firm, box construction. I try to fall asleep on my back (one pillow behind my knees, one under head) but always end up on my side (pillow between knees and under head). So, they work for me whether I'm on my back or on my side. I'm expecting any day for BB&B to stop carrying them since I like them so much. :o

• natal
    13 years ago

I'm a side sleeper too. Been buying these Sealy Posturepedic pillows at Penneys for years. I get new ones every eighteen-24 months when they're on sale. I think it's about time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sealy Posturepedic

• luvnlife_09
    13 years ago

About 5 years ago, DH and I switched from down to the chiroflow water based pillow and will never go back! We got ours from our chiropractor, but I see they are also sold on Amazon.com.

Just make sure you get all the air out after adding the water, otherwise it can make "sloshing" sounds. Also, I use a pillow protector, but still after some time, the pillow itself will look stained (not that anyone would see it without removing the case and protector) I think it is just body oils? You can also wash the pillow, so I never worry that it is dirty. I think the quilted cover that Amazon shows would be awesome......Hmmm, I need to order that!!

I love it because there's no scrunching and adjusting the pillow, it just molds to your position by displacement of water! Perfect every time! :)

Disclaimer: They are heavy. NOT a deal breaker for me, but YMMV

Here is a link that might be useful: Chiroflow water base pillow

• joyce_6333
    13 years ago

I've purchased most of our pillows from The Company Store. You can get different levels of firmness that fit your particular sleeping style (stomach, side, or back), and then choose good, better, best, etc. If you like down pillows, these are the best in my opinion. And you can choose one to fit your budget.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Company Store

• xantippe
    13 years ago

You may find this shocking, but we ended a ten year quest to find the perfect pillows... at Ikea!

They have about fifty pillows, in all price ranges and types, and even better, they are arranged so that you can test them in the store. The pillows are organized according to sleeping style ("back sleeper", "side sleeper", etc) but we just bought the kind that felt right, paying no attention to the categories.

I have to admit that we ended up spending a lot of money, but have been thrilled with the results. My husband bought a $50ish thick down pillow, and a $40ish thinner down pillow, and I have two $35ish down pillows. Our pillows are two years old and still going strong.

I cannot believe how well I sleep since switching pillows. PS: I am a side sleeper, too.

• 4boys2
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I have this one because it was free when I bought a new mattress at Sleep Train. I love it.(both back and side sleeper) If you have a mattress store near you go test drive some pillows there.

OOOPs sorry ...Didn't notice 2010. Hate to think that Sue has gone 6 years without a pillow !!

• weezel
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I was excited to see this post as we have been trying pillows recently with no luck. Thanks for bringing it back up 4boys2...I guess I should've figured it would have been talked about here. :) Now I'll have to see if there are more posts.

Has anyone ever tried "MyPillows"? I actually made my own a few years ago when I couldn't find any I liked. It's getting flat now but seems similar to MyPillows. They have a special right now BOGO...at about $100 a piece that's a good deal.

• louislinus
    8 years ago

I have an I Love My Pillow that I do indeed love. :) I also recently bought shredded latex pillows that are great.

• weezel
    8 years ago

Thanks louislinus! I'm going to give it a try!

• lucillle
    8 years ago

Overstock has a white sale so I just ordered a latex pillow for the first time to try. I wanted something a little softer than the medium-firm down alternative pillows I have.

• Elizabeth Z
    8 years ago

I bought the "My Pillow" from QVC and love it. (You can also find it in many other places.) It's certified by the Nat'l Sleep Foundation. I like the medium pillow, but they also sell it in firm. You can wash it in the washer easily. It fluffs well to the share you want it in.

• mstender
    8 years ago

I love my Latex standard size pillows from Bed Bath and Beyond!! we have a King bed, but use standard pillows. They do not have the holes in that Talalay Latex Zoned do, they cost $35..minus 20% coupon

• Tmnca
    8 years ago

Tempurpedic contour pillow for side sleepers. I have a child/small size because most are too thick for me!

• User
    8 years ago

DD2 recently discovered Claritin pillows at Bed Bath and Beyond. They have a side sleeper and back sleeper. I bought one two weeks ago. So far, so good.

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

Are latex pillows washable?

• User
    8 years ago

We recently replaced all our pillows with Ikea. No regrets.

• petalique
    8 years ago

Has anyone else wondered about the "Natiknal Sleep Foundation"?

http://mypillow.pissedconsumer.com/the-national-sleep-foundation-who-supposedly-recommends-the-my-pillow-is-a-fraud-20150129588205.html

i'm going to make toothpicks and get the yet-to-be-formed World Toothpick Council to endorse my products.