Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treasuretheday

SW Kilim Beige and ????

treasuretheday
12 years ago

My husband and I have agreed (yay!) on Kilim Beige for our masterbath reno. We don't have all of our elements and lighting in but, so far judging from the primer coat, it looks good in all conditions in our room.

I need to decide what color to paint the ceiling. I want something lighter but still a noticeable color.

Then, I need an even lighter color for my soffit, ceiling medalion, crown and columns. I don't want to go with a stark white because this is going to be very prominent in the room, maybe even the most prominent once all of our cabinets, etc. are in.

There will be columns at either end of the tub. Would you paint the soffit and columns the same color or have the soffits match the ceiling and paint the columns to match the crown & ceiling medalion over the tub?

I guess that is the first question to be answered... Should the soffit be painted the medium shade (matching ceiling) or the lightest shade (matching crowns, columns & medalion)??

I was thinking of using Divine White for my lightest color and then something halfway between DW & KB for my ceiling. What do you think? Any other suggestions?

I'd love to see pics of Kilim Beige and Divine White together. Does Divine White end up looking really white?

Thanks for your help!

Comments (14)

• fnmroberts
    12 years ago

We selected Kilim Beige, Divine White and Latte when redecorating our LR, DR, Entry and Stairway/2nd floor hall. This isn't the best picture however Kilim Beige is on both sides of the stairs to the corner at the landing, then changes to Divine White. Even in person there isn't a significant difference but the Divine White is NOT too white. The trim is white semi-gloss.
    {{!gwi}}

As comparison, here is our accent color (Latte) and Kilim Beige.
    {{!gwi}}

Hope this helps. I'm very happy with the selection.

• fnmroberts
    12 years ago

treasuretheday

The paint color on the right side of our stairs is Latte. Sorry, don't want to mislead you.

• stu2900
    12 years ago

All the colors on the Kilim Beige strip look gorgeous together.

• janealexa
    12 years ago

Hi treasuretheday! We decided on Kilim Beige as well for our entire house. However I am going with Alabaster (white, but not a bright white) for our ceiling and trim. Personally, I love the way beige and taupes look with white ceilings and trim.

All the colors on the Kilim Beige strip are great. We originally thought we'd go with Nomadic Desert on the same strip, but it had a pink undertone in my space and I was afraid it was too dark. So definitely paint large swatches in your space and look at it in different lights. Your painter can always make Kilim Beige darker as well. We liked a certain color for our exterior and wanted something slightly darker for an accent color. So the painter made it 25% darker, not sure what he mixed it with, but it looks nice.

As far as what color to paint everything...check out this pic:

[mediterranean bathroom design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/mediterranean-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2109) by austin architect Vanguard Studio Inc.

Again, this is personal preference, but I think I would do the soffit the same color as the walls. Then the columns either the same color as the walls or the same color as the trim. I'd consider doing the trim/crown in Alabaster (I think this would look nice since your windows are white)and the ceiling in Divine White. Then the medallion either Alabaster or something to match the light fixture.

What finish will your light fixtures be, especially the one hanging from the medallion? What color will your light switches and outlets be? What color are your cabinets?

Check out www.houzz.com, that is where I found the above picture. Just type whatever you're looking for in the search box. You can save ideabooks as well, one of my all time fave websites. For me, it is always helpful to find inspiration pictures.

GOOD LUCK!

• janealexa
    12 years ago

Check out my thread about Nomadic Desert/Kilim Beige...

Here is a link that might be useful: Beige color thread

• treasuretheday
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, everyone, for your help and suggestions!

fnmroberts... Thanks for posting pictures of your gorgeous space! In the picture of your staircase, which area is painted with Divine White? Is it the wall at the landing with the single picture? If so, that really does look very similar to KB and definitely not a stark white!

InteriorStylist... I hadn't even thought about going darker on the arch/soffit and darker still on the tub ceiling so your suggestion is very interesting! It sounds very dramatic but I think it would be a little higher contrast than I'm looking for in my space. I wonder also if Steady Brown might be too dark on the tub ceiling for my chandelier(?)

Thanks, Janealexa, for all of your help. It sounds like we have very similar taste in color and I can't wait to see pictures of your completed rooms! Thanks for the link to your recent thread... I must have missed that while I was in DC last week! The Houzz picture is very lovely... much grander than our space will be but definitely similar in its elements. From looking at that picture, I'm sure that I'd want our columns to be lighter than our wall color so they stand out a little more.

My light switches and outlets are white (for consistency since some of our specialty switches only came in white.) In the daylight tomorrow, I'll check out Alabaster and Westhighland White to see how they go with my white window frames and the switches and outlets.

Our cabinets will be finished in a medium brown stain. Our faucets are polished nickel and the light fixtures are satin nickel. Our granite is Moxuara:

Our tub color is Biscuit and we just now wheeled it into the room. Hopefully in the light of day tomorrow we'll like it with the Kilim Beige... if not, there's still time before the painter comes on Monday!

Thanks again!

• janealexa
    12 years ago

What pretty choices! If your switches/outlets are white, I would definitely do white trim.

You can do the trim/crown/columns in white semi-gloss and then the same white in flat on the ceiling.

OR the Divine White in flat on the entire ceiling

OR flat Divine White just @ the ceiling above the tub and flat white @ the remaining ceiling.

For the ceiling medallion, maybe semi-gloss (not sure which finish) in the same white trim color?

This pic is not my style, but this is just an example of a non-white ceiling with white trim and a white medallion.

[traditional dining room design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-dining-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_722~s_2107) by san francisco interior designer ADEENI DESIGN GROUP

Pic of white ceiling with white medallion

[traditional bathroom design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2107) by dc metro general contractor NVS Remodeling & Design

• fnmroberts
    12 years ago

treasuretheday

Yes, the wall you reference (with 1 picture in view) is Divine White. The color is sort of a "toned down" Kilim Beige and you can better judge the comparison when looking at the white baseboards. Here is another photo that may show the subtle color shift better.
    {{!gwi}}

Some posters in the past have commented on a pink tone in Kilim. We do not detect that in our spaces but we don't have any red or pink accents either. Hope the color works for you.

• louisianalover
    12 years ago

Here is a photo showing Kilim Beige on the walls and Divine White on the ceiling. It's not the best photo but it does look great in person!

• Michael
    12 years ago

Kilim Beige and Casa Blanca are nice coordinates.

• susanka
    12 years ago

I want to suggest you be careful with Kilim Beige if you have any blues or lavenders in the space. We have one violet/blue accent wall in our bedroom, KB on the other walls, and the KB looks very gray; we're going to repaint.

• treasuretheday
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Great input... thanks, everyone!

I *think* I've made choices that I'll be happy with and our painter here now.

I've decided on Kilim Beige for the walls, Divine White for the soffit/arch and for the ceiling in a flat finish. We're going to try 25% Divine White for the crown molding, columns and ceiling medallion. That may not be quite white enough but it's where we'll start(!)

Fnmroberts... I can see the color change perfectly in your latest photo. Those colors look beautiful in your space. After moving a couple of doorways during this bathroom renovation, I'm going to need to tackle my foyer also so it's nice to see one done well.

Louisianalover... Your picture is great inspiration photo since we're using the same wall and ceiling colors. I can't quite tell... did you paint your ceiling medallion in Divine White or in the same white as your trim? What a beautiful room!

Brushworks... I don't have Casa Blanca in my SW fan deck but it looks nice online!

Susanka... Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure of our accent color yet but I am considering a shade of purple so that is good to know. I wouldn't accent a whole wall but rather use it in towels, art and/or accessories so hopefully that wouldn't cause the Kilim Beige to read gray in my room.

• louisianalover
    12 years ago

"Louisianalover... Your picture is great inspiration photo since we're using the same wall and ceiling colors. I can't quite tell... did you paint your ceiling medallion in Divine White or in the same white as your trim? What a beautiful room!"

Thanks for the compliment! The medallion was painted the same as the ceiling - Divine White.