Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dakota01

Have you used a Paint Stores designer?

dakota01
11 years ago

It's me again - still hoping to find someone to help me make the right decision on paint colors.

While looking at PPG's website they have a section on designers/interior decorators that will for $75 come out and make recommendations. I looked over who was on there and (1) lady owns a small store that I occassionally stop in another is a fairly well known decorator in our area.

Has any of you used the paint stores decorators to pick your paint? Have you been happy w/thier suggestions? If you have used them which paint company did you use?

I'm so tired of still not getting it right or not having someone that has come in give me a good recommendation that both they and I feel confident in. Let's see I had (1) store owner that I did use - not happy so I'm changing. (3) decorators - that (1) walked in in less than 2 min gave me his colors, (1) that still isn't sure (1) who sold me drapes, rugs, etc. but never did give me what I originally called her for - a flippin paint color!

I am thinking that maybe I still need to call someone else - but since the one lady owns a decorating shop, I don't want her to try and sell me more furniture, drapes, etc. $75 is more than reasonable - but, I don't know if I have the energy to deal w/this AGAIN!

Thanks

Comments (11)

• abbybeagle
    11 years ago

I wasn't aware that some paint stores did this. We hired a designer when we were figuring out what to change in our house, all that I wanted was help in paint, drapery, fabric selection. Instead she walked around the house with us, approved all that I told her I wanted to do and made some remuddling suggestions for our masterbath (extending the bath to the closet area outside and either losing half our closet or putting half the closet in the bathroom, no thanks we don't want mold in our clothes or to have to go into the bathroom to get our clothes out. ) After an hour of this she told us " you do know I'm moving from the state in 2 weeks don't you?" No, she hadn't told us prior and I had wanted someone I could shop and consult with. I asked about paint colors, she begrudgingly got out her paint deck and went over a few choices with us. I asked about color schemes for various rooms and she just told me I could pick out anything. She did give us the name of the contractor we did use and we feel that's about the only good she did. But she still charged us plenty for that very short visit. I haven't used any of the colors she suggested and all of the remodeling ideas came from me, she just went along with it like she had anything to do with it. She had great reviews on Angie's List and others said she was good about all of the things I wanted. I feel like she should have told us she would be moving before doing business with her.

• blfenton
    11 years ago

Where I live the Benjamin Moore stores have colourists on staff and they will come to the house. That's all they deal in is paint colours. I was stumped on a paint colour for our house and so took a pic of it to the store and she suggested a great colour that I would never have thought of using. IT's been there for 5 years and I still like it. She took into account things like the setting, the balance of the house, etc.

What about taking pics of your rooms and whatever colour samples you can take (couch pillows, curtain fabric swatches, close up pics of carpets, flooring samples) and take them with you. It might be a start. Take a pic of the outside as well.

• dakota01
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Abby - I agree she should have told you she was moving and recommended another decorator to help you. I guess if nothing else you got a designers "ok" on what you choose and what you wanted to change. That's worth something - just knowing you were on track.
    blfenton- the only BM stores in my area are Ace Hardware and the closests doesn't even have a computer paint mixing machine! I think that's why some of my samples may not be the exact right color - I think when they manually add the colorant you have more room for error.
    taking pics somewhere for help - won't really give them the advantage of my light issues and maybe ceiling issue.
    So, I really need someone to come and look at the space.

• annzgw
    11 years ago

I had trouble deciding on paint for all the rooms in my home and brought in a Divine Color consultant to help. She was pricey ($250) but I learned a lot from her.....like how to consider the wood tones of flooring and cabinets when selecting paint colors (duh!). Also, my home is fairly open and she explained how color and the combination of architecture, and fireplaces, could make one end of the house feel heavy compared to the other half of the house.
    I ended up using all but 2 of the colors she chose. We decided we'd get tired of the dark blue in the FR and DH didn't like the Foam blue she chose for the DR. I've been happy with the all the other colors and after 7 years am just now repainting a half bath a lighter color.

The cost included 8x10 samples of all the colors selected for the rooms, and a color palette of Devine Paints.
    If you're wanting help on just paint, then I'd contact your favorite paint stores and ask if they have a consultant.

• dakota01
    Original Author
    11 years ago

When under construction the lady I used charged $150 which is money I flushed down the toilet. None of her choices were right for me.
    I don't have a favorite paint store as y last house I used a decorator (now retired) and she picked all neutrals that worked - but,those same colors won't look good at this house as my lightings etc.is totally different.

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

I had an interior designer come out to advise me on paint colors, too, and she sold me a custom sofa, pricey alterations to existing window treatments, and slipcovers for two chairs and an ottoman, but kept forgetting her flippin' fan deck and we never did get to the colors.
    OTOH, I used Maria Killam over the phone, using photos I put in my photobucket account, to help me select a color for my kitchen when I was totally stuck, with good results. She wasn't inexpensive, though I did have her go over the whole house with me, not just one room. The kitchen came out great. I haven't had time to try out the other room colors yet. Some folks have said her blog has gotten too "sales-pitch-y", including myself, but she did do a good job on my colors.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    11 years ago

Paint store consultants can work out sometimes, sometimes not so much. I know several really good independent consultants who have managed to work out decent deals with paint stores.

One thing to keep in mind is they work for the paint store and even if they say the consultations are free, in essence they aren't. Everyone who gets a check from the store is expected to sell paint. The free consultation is designed to sell you paint first, help you with color second.

Training and basic color knowledge is also an issue with in-store consultants. Many of them only know what they know from the free seminars and collateral provided by the brand the store carries - support materials to help staff sell paint. Or they're interior designers/decorators who are working at a paint store selling paint - which is very different from an architectural color consultant.

It is not unusual for paint store color consultants to have more training on how to sell and upsell product than color design.

Even though they may sell thousands of dollars for the store the consultants are usually paid minimum wage or close to it. With Devine I was appalled to learn that the consultants have to pay for Devine color training, all the selling tools and collateral and then they only get like $100 of the $250 - but don't quote me on any of that. It's been awhile since I've seen their package. At first I was gobsmacked that's how Devine worked but after thinking about it, I guess it's no different than Amway, Avon, or Pampered Chef, Longaberger Baskets, etc. People have to invest to rep those products too so I guess it's not all that shocking.

Any way.... not sure any of that helps or is even relevant. But it's another pov on the whole shebang.

• Therese Blackburn
    11 years ago

I have not used a paint store consultant (mainly because there was no portfolio to look at beforehand). Have
    you considered doing an online design consultation from
    some of the numerous home decor blogs out there?
    They can suggest paint colors and furnishings/decor and
    charge by the room.
    An example is www.copycatchic.com. I have not used them
    but they have examples of their design boards on the website. There are many many more decor blogs that offer
    the e-decorating service.

• dakota01
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Actually the ones that PPG lists do not work in the paint stores - they are decorators - some have their own stores and some don't. The charge is only 75 then you get 50 credit for paint purchased. My issue might be them coming in and being (like another poster said and like what has happened to me) they give you a paint color but really want your furniture business. It's a win win for them, they probablly only get a few bucks from PPG the potential to sell lots of their own goodies is why they do it. But, that's just my thoughts on it. I don't need more stuff - I need PAINT.
    Gator - I haven't looked on line because I was afraid they would not get a feel for the space via a photo. BUt, I will check out copycatchic.com.

• debbie1000
    11 years ago

My painter was actually more like a designer. I hired him to paint "beige" and showed him a zillion chips. We had just had our fireplace remodeled and he suggested a deep brown/orange/red that worked with our new fireplace.

I was really afraid of this vivid color but it has worked out great. He even suggested a lighter accent color that made it look even better--at no additional charge for his expertise.

• dakota01
    Original Author
    11 years ago

buddy - the guy that paints for me is the opposite - anything I pick is good, LOL. He truly never gives any sugestions or advise, even when I ask him.