Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691726

Bathroom decor - I'm stumped!

User
12 years ago

My tiny little old bathroom has recently undergone a style transition from vibrant Mexican decor to more of a cottage feel. Someday this room will be knocked down to the studs and we'll remodel it properly, in keeping with the 1940s era when the house was built. For now, though, I'm resigned to decorate the little room in such a way that it still makes me reasonably happy in spite of its imperfections. Here's a shot taken with my phone recently. Don't laugh. At least not too hard. The textured turquoise area of wall is where some genius (PO) decided to remove the tile from the walls. Someday this will all be re-done, probably in a really cool period tile once again. (For now, we just live with it.)

Behind the door is an expanse of wall where I've hung this print from the 40s in the center of the wall:

It's 14" x 18" and doesn't really fill the wall space enough. It feels like it needs something hung around it but I'm having a tough time figuring out what that something should be. I thought about a collection of little mirrors, but can't find anything that doesn't look totally cheesy. Maybe some small botanicals or vintage florals, but again - just can't quite find anything that will add vintage charm. I don't care if my prints/artwork on the walls match the current colors of my bath - just want something that's going to be really cottage-like and cute. Any ideas for what I could add to the wall where this print is now displayed? I keep perusing Etsy and eBay and am just not finding it!

Comments (99)

• cindyloo123
    12 years ago

Maybe you should hold off on painting till your shower curtain arrives? It can be really hard putting greens together. I am hoping the paint color will compliment the curtain, but till you see them together, you won't know.

Maybe you can locate a sample of the curtain fabric locally and bring it home before you paint? That curtain is going to look so nice with the prints, it would be a real shame if it doesn't really work with the paint!

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, I've already started painting! :-) I actually like a mix of vintage-y greens - have quite a few shades in other rooms of my house and like the way they mesh. If the shower curtain arrives and it's just awful with the paint, I'll return it. I do like this paint color with my current shower curtain. Anyway, just wanted to show what a difference painting all one color makes already. It's definitely green, but I think an improvement over the choppy look the green-and-turquoise two tone.

The pics make it look slightly darker and more intense than it is IRL.

Yes, the back of my door needs a fresh coat of white paint!

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow, on my monitor that last pic looks really dark. The first two are much more true to color.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Actually - the first two aren't even truly true to color! LOL! The pics make the color look more minty green than it is. Stupid Blackberry camera.

Anyway - at least this shows how different the room looks without the two-tone choppiness going on.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Does this shower curtain say "cottage" to you? It's advertised as gently used/excellent condition ... I don't mind, as long as it's clean. Just thinking of adding to my shower curtain wardrobe! ;-)

• lynxe
    12 years ago

It screams "cottage." In general I don't much care for the cottage look any more, but I think it's very pretty, and I think it could work beautifully in your bathroom.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, lynxe! It must be a case of "what goes around comes around", because I once swore off cottage decor back in the mid-90s, and now I find myself absolutely craving it once again.

• robin_DC
    12 years ago

The paint change looks great. I like the last shower curtain that you posted (cream with pink & green) better than the one you ordered, and I also like the green with the shower curtain that you already have. All of the shower curtains are cottagey, just different types of cottage; the current with bright colors is more modern cottage style, whereas the other two are more vintage.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, Robin. I've placed a bid on the last shower curtain pictured. I'll be interested to see how the Laura Ashley (the one with more green in it) works with the paint. This may sound nuts, but I have a printout of the shower curtain at home, and held against the painted walls it looks great. However, looking at all of these colors on the screen is a different story for me! I'm having a lot of fun trying to put things together. (Can you tell? I've run this thread up to over 50 posts - most of them my own! ha! ;-D)

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I managed to get a photo that much more accurately depicts the true paint color. I've got two remaining shelf interiors to go, and the area around the bath. I think I want to do some type of sealer over the paint after I paint in the wet area. Any recommendations?

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just gotta do a before:

And after:

:-D

• katrina_ellen
    12 years ago

Oh my goodness, a million times better with the green! The turquoise only drew attention to the area you wanted to camoflage. I think any color you want to use will look better all one color. You are still going to have a lot of contrast with the red floor and green since they are complementary colors, so I think a softer curtain should tone it down some like the ones you are looking at.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, Katrina_ellen! I'm pleased with the results so far. I desperately need a proper soap dispenser though. DH does our shopping and keeps bringing home the Softsoap with Nemo on the front.

• meowzer
    12 years ago

The new green lower looks fabulous. Thanks for posting update pics.

• chickadee2_gw
    12 years ago

What a difference! That looks great. 'Very soothing now. What does your husband think? I can't wait to see if the Laura Ashley curtain works with the green.

• cindyloo123
    12 years ago

Wow, the walls are so pretty now that they all have that nice green on them.

That new curtain you are looking at would be so perfect in there and with your new prints.

I can't wait to see the rest of it put together!

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much! I'm still painting (managed to wrench my back muscles last night so am feelin' it this morning) but don't have much more to go until I finish. The oval green-framed 1930s print arrived yesterday and I hung it where the little black wire shelf is over the potty in the pics above. I love the print! It's so sweet! The Laura Ashley shower curtain should arrive tomorrow, and if it works I'll likely go ahead and start shopping for a wool rug for the floor. I also won the eBay auction on this print:

I thought it might be a bit floofy for my room, but I think it will work. (Anyway, it was less than $40, so what the heck. ;-))

DH keeps walking into the bathroom and saying things like, "Hey, look! It's our new bathroom!" Silly boy.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just testing out this rug with the shower curtain ...
    Hmmm. Bit much?

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Or ...

• lynxe
    12 years ago

I think a shower curtain like yours and rugs with different patterns could work to add to the cottage look you're going for. What doesn't work, and this is my opinion only, so take it for what it's worth ;) - the fact that the base/background colors of shower curtain and rug are so different. If the shower curtain's stripes were reversed, so that the impression was of a gray (green?) curtain, then the rugs could work. I'd prefer the first rug in any case, because the second one's effect isn't really cottagy. Alternatively, you could seek out rugs that are patterned on a white background, and those should work, too. BTW I just returned the library copy of Michael Smith's new book on kitchens and baths, and I know there were multiple examples of the effect you're striving for.

• pattyxlynn
    12 years ago

The new color is a huge improvement, much calmer and to me, that goes with the cottagy feel. The oval picture you have coming is my second fav and the one you just won, the pink roses or maybe peonies, is my favorite. I just love it and it really screams English garden to me. I can't wait for further updates.

Patty

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, lynxe! I do see what you mean. I think the green in the shower curtain is definitely a sagey gray-green, but I'm very anxious to have it in hand so I can see exactly what is and what isn't going to work with it. I'll have to check into the book you mention too. Sounds right up my alley!

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Still just playing around here ... I rather like this one - just not sure how it would work on a red tile floor.

• Valerie Noronha
    12 years ago

I'm late to this discussion, but just wanted to say that your choice to go all one color is one I would've recommended before I scrolled down to see what you did. I was leaning towards a soft vintage white, but the Warren Acres also looks good. I'd also do white for the cabinets> I like all of the storage baskets as it gives it that cottage and less cluttered feel to it. Towels can also be stored in baskets which is what I do in my DD's bathroom. I like the last rug choice best; otherwise there are too many greens which may fight with one another. Perhaps you could paint the floor tile too? I really like the touches of pink and the floral painting you won on eBay.

• User
    12 years ago

The new green color looks very nice!

I like the art and shower curtain.

I like the last rug best. I think the others are too close to the shower curtain. They might end up looking like you tried to match but failed. I actually think I'd ignore the floor color for now but honestly though, I actually kind of like the red tile. :)

I'm excited to see everything in place!

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

One more coat of paint on one wall over the tub (then a topcoat of sealer in the wet area, per Brushworks/Michael's helpful advice) and I'll be done with the painting!

Val and Shee, thanks so much for your comments. I've switched out the natural baskets for white ones in the open cabinet and it looks much better. I also won the auction bid on this shower curtain, so I'll be able to choose between it and the green-toned Laura Ashley shower curtain (or keep them both and change them out when the mood strikes me).

As for the rug, I've spent so much time searching online and can't find anything that works. I have a size limitation - can be no more than 30" wide and 50-60" long. It's really difficult to find just what I have in mind given those parameters. :-( I think I do want something soft, traditional and fairly neutral so as not to scream, "Hey, look at me lying here on the floor!" I want a little rug that will just add some softness and a touch of vintage charm to the room. ::sigh::

• Valerie Noronha
    12 years ago

Yes, that is a tricky size. Do you have a Home Goods or Tuesday Morning nearby? Those are good places to check. I find both places to have good selection of smaller sized rugs. I'd check both the bathroom and rug areas of the store.

Here are a few possibilities I found on Ovestock:

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Micro-Hand-hooked-Chelsea-Kashan-Light-Green-Wool-Rug-29-x-49/5770522/product.html?rcmndsrc=2

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Handmade-Paradise-Bouquet-Ivory-Wool-and-Silk-Runner-26-x-46/6030446/product.html?rcmndsrc=2

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Hand-hooked-Chelsea-Harmony-Ivory-Wool-Rug-29-x-49/5770511/product.html

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Handmade-Grand-Bouquet-Beige-Black-Wool-and-Silk-Rug-26-x-46/6030443/product.html?rcmndsrc=2

Then again, with your pretty shower curtains, you could get a fluffy chenille rug in a soft pink or green and let the curtain be the star.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

What about either of these, and which one - the top (Rose Blush) or bottom (Rose)?

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Val, thank you so much for sharing those! They're beautiful. I especially love the first one. I'm a bit torn between tracking down a pretty patterned rug (I think we do have a Tuesday Morning relatively close by - will have to look there) or going with something simple but plush, such as the rug in the link. Goodness - how can something so seemingly simple turn into such a quest?
    ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Bliss Rug

• ghostlyvision
    12 years ago

Oooh, I love the Rose Blush rug! The Bliss rug looks super cosy on the toesies too.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, I made up my mind and ordered the rug shown below. The size couldn't be any more perfect for my space - it fits within the confines but is large enough to run all the way from the tub to where the cabinet begins so will look like it truly fits there. After getting the shower curtain in place and playing around with rugs (and towels!) that I have to get an idea of color, I just felt like I needed a green rug on the floor. The wool rug that I chose is going to go beautifully (I think!) with the shower curtain, which is more of a greenish sage than grayish as it appears in the photo. I'm loving how this is all coming together. I've even got a pretty white trash can and tissue box cover on order. This has been such fun!

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I really like the new rug you chose best!
    Does it also work with your current shower curtain?

• tuesday_2008
    12 years ago

You made a GREAT choice! Can't wait to see it all together. As much as I liked your other choices, I was just not seeing the oriental patterns in your bath.

Tuesday

• katrina_ellen
    12 years ago

The new rug looks like it will not take center stage but add to the calmness and uncluttered look. It looks like it will go really nicely and allow the shower curtain to be noticed.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much! I snapped a pic last night (again, it's with the Blackberry phone so color/quality are not great - dig that big ol' flash going on in the mirror!):

The greens in the room don't match exactly, but I kinda like that. They do harmonize. I'll also try the other shower curtain that I bought on eBay (hasn't arrived yet) to see how it works -- the one with the white background and splashes of softly-hued blooms. That may be my summer shower curtain. ;-)

I'm really excited about receiving the rug. I hope it works as well as I think it's going to. I really like the subtle paisley design.

I ironed that darn Laura Ashley shower curtain last night but it still has folds and creases. Would a hand-held steamer take care of those better than an iron (which didn't do the trick, obviously)?

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

If you'll humor me one more time, I just want to do a before and after so I can see the pics next to one another. :-)

• meowzer
    12 years ago

Gorgeous! What a transformation. I also like your final rug choice the best. Also, seeing the oval above the toilet -- perfect!

• yayagal
    12 years ago

Big improvement with the help of your friends here. I love the vintage look. You must love it too.

• nancybee_2010
    12 years ago

It looks fantastic! I really admire your ability to get things done!

• teacats
    12 years ago

Wonderful transformation!! Very charming and just right for your vintage cottage! :)

• gmp3
    12 years ago

What a beautiful room. I love the green and the shower curtain. Have you got a rug yet?

• User
    12 years ago

That is a huge difference - I love the after, esp the oval picture and now you notice the nice lines of the sink.

• cindyloo123
    12 years ago

I'll miss your bright shower curtain, which I loved.

Personally, I live in a constant state of indecision between having bright or pastel colors.

The new room is beautiful. The oval print is perfect and it all looks very "cottage"!

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

What nice words! Thank you all so very much. I'm enjoying the new look and although I don't want to overdo it, I keep looking for little things and today picked up this little pair of 5" x 5" prints that I'll probably hang inside the open-shelved cabinet, over my perfume bottles and toiletries.

Cindyloo, I know what you mean about the indecision! I never thought I'd want to get away from bright colors, but this year have become just as drawn to the pastels - and I guess I just needed a little change. I'm still keeping the bright shower curtain, so if I get a yearning for color in the bathroom again, it can go right back up. :-)

gmp3, I have the last rug posted above on order and I hope to receive it on Monday or Tuesday of next week. In the meantime, I need to really scrub the floor tiles and grout and get it in a little better shape.

Thanks again to everyone for the encouragement, inspiration, and ideas. I never dreamed when I started this thread that I'd end up repainting and making quite a few changes, but I'm so glad I did!

• loribee
    12 years ago

Very pretty, Jen...I'll never tire of florals!

• Oakley
    12 years ago

I am so happy you got the L.A. curtain! That and the pastel green made a world of difference. And I do love pastel greens!

I gave someone my Christmas list and the shower curtain is on it. lol

• juddgirl2
    12 years ago

What a difference! I love the new shower curtain and the green is a great improvement over the blue. It's such a softer look.

I don't even know if this is possible, but could you use concrete paint on your tile floor? A white or ivory look so pretty with the greens and pinks in the room.

• sis3
    12 years ago

I'm too late to add anything constructive to this thread (just back from England) but just wanted to say that as i was reading I was willing you to make certain choices of paint, curtain and pictures, and as the thread unfolded you DID make those choices! Lovely transformation Jen, very English cottage!

• Irish2
    12 years ago

LOVE the transformation! You certainly move right along
    when you tackle a new project.

• pippi21
    12 years ago

Before you pay $35 plus a gal and get it home and you not like it..why not see if BM sells the jar of sample paint in your chosen color? $4 for a sample if it is available could save you not only money but a lot of frustration and stress. We have learned to do that first. Putting the small cardboard sample chart on the wall doesn't do it for me so my very clever former Duron paint mgr. suggest we buy white poster board and buy sample or qt. size and paint that poster board the chosen color and use the paint tape to hang it on your wall where you can look at it for a few days before definately deciding if it is the right color you want to live with for a few years. That blue paint tape will not damage your wall or leave the residue that scotch tape will do. I came upon a website by accident on yesterday and although it was not on BM website, it showed a list of the most used BM paint colors and what rooms they were used in. I bookmarked it for future reference. There are other paint companies that are selling the sample paints, which is a super idea in my opinion. Less costly trial and error method!