Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juddgirl2

Please help me choose rug for foyer - size, style, new or used?

juddgirl2
13 years ago

I am completely clueless when it comes to decorative rug shopping but I need one for my foyer. Even with a Waterhog mat outside, I need to protect my floors from dirt and debris. Plus, others on the board have mentioned a rug will add color to my neutral toned foyer.

There will be a large hutch, colorwashed in a cream/brown paint with espresso glaze, on the wall opposite the pine table. The space between the table and hutch will be 7'5" and the foyer is 17'5" long.

I'd like to keep the budget under $400-500 but I want something that will look nice and be of good quality, and from what I read on the board, Karastan seems to be popular.

Should I use an area rug or a runner? I hate to cover the wood floors but would a narrow area rug look okay? Below are some pics of Karastan rugs I've seen on Craigslist. If I use a runner, it seems that I could buy new under my budget (see link below), but I don't know which are of a higher quality. I was thinking of using a lighter rug with some green in it, since this would tie into the rooms adjacent to the foyer.

Foyer (without hutch)

Karastan runner 10' x 2'6 $35

{{!gwi}}

Karastan Medallion 700 series 5'9 x 9 $400

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Karastan 4x8 $275

{{!gwi}}

Kirastan 4x6 Ivory Kirman #788 $475

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Karastan runners at Macys

Comments (11)

• User
    13 years ago

I have been looking for a wider than normal runner for a while for my hallway, it is hard to find. I dont like to buy on line. My hallway is just over 5 feet wide x 14 feet long. I think in your case I would do a 8x10 rug not a runner. You defiantely have the space for it. I think anything smaller would look out of proportion to your space. Dont go too light in color as you want to hide the dirt that will be tracked in.

• prairiedawnpam
    13 years ago

Juddgirl, your foyer is lovely and I'd love to see more pics of your home. What colours are you using beyond the front door? Are other rooms visible from the foyer? I assume your style is traditional.

...Pam

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, prairiedawn. My style actually is more of a rustic/modern country style rather than traditional, although I have a mix of everything! I used BM Baby Turtle in the powder room and laundry room, which are adjacent to the foyer, SW Artifact in the great room, which is just beyond the foyer, and SW Believable Buff and Camelback throughout the rest of the house.

roseabby, I spoke to the salesman at Macys and he also mentioned a 2'6" runner may be out of scale. The problem is I do NOT want to cover up most of the wood flooring.

Would a smaller area rug placed horizontally across the front doors, rather than a larger run placed vertically in the room, look strange? The two doors are 6' wide and the entire wood entry is approx. 10' wide.

• User
    13 years ago

I wouldnt go any smaller than a 6x8, or 6x9 horizontally, anything smaller, imo it would look out of scale.

• jab65
    13 years ago

If you really want to let the wood show and your goal is to catch dirt, a washable horizontal rug in front of the door is your best bet. It may not be the best look, but we track in tons of pine needles and I can't imagine doing without mine. You can add in some color on your tables and walls.

• teacats
    13 years ago

How about a good-sized sisal rug? It would bring in great texture and the neutral colors would work well with your decor choices.

Some of the indoor-outdoor area rugs have your colors -- and might be great to handle any incoming dirt etc.

Just some thoughts! :)

Jan at Hemlock Cottage

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks all for your comments. I talked to DH and he definitely doesn't want a large rug that will cover much of the floor - just something in front to catch the dirt.

We do have a large Waterhog mat outside that's been helping, but I'd like a rug inside also.

Teacats - I'll take a look at sisal rugs. I know the style would work, but I was thinking I'd bring in some color. Do you know if sisal sheds?

Maybe I'll call on the CL ad for the 4'x8'. Placed horizontally, that might work.

• busybee3
    13 years ago

i think 4x6 or 4x8(more unusual size) would work well for front door rug. i don't care for the 4x6 cl rug shown above tho.

your wood floors and heavy front doors are gorgeous!!

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Would any of these work? I got the idea from Allison's post in AM.

DH would have trouble with the larger one :-D

Here is a link that might be useful: soumak rugs

• always1stepbehind
    13 years ago

I think a rug would look better than a runner...

I would try to bring a rug home that I could try for size first--even if you pick up at Home Depot, lowes, wal mart...wherever you can return it. Then once you know the size you want you can concentrate on color and pattern.

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

I think the 4x8 size in front of the door should be fine, though would not go any smaller. It would look best to have the rug overhang the width of your doors. This should allow 1' per side. I would take a bedsheet and try to mock up the sizes though to make sure you are happy with the scale since scale is very impt. when choosing a rug. That said, while the Karastan 4x8 is pretty I would not recommend an ivory background--try to find something with a pattern more like the runner pictured above. If you are searching on CL, keep looking as if what you have shown is any indication, something suitable should show up soon.