Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
llcp93

Stumped with floor/hardware choices

llcp93
13 years ago

I need help. We have had no flooring in our master closet since April. Now that the built-ins are installed and stained, I have been trying to get a "feel" for what to do in there, as to flooring, cabinet hardware, etc. I really don't want carpet, as I shed, my house manufactures lots of lint/dust, and the ironing board in in here (starch overspray). I think I really would like tile and maybe get an inexpensive runner. After months of thinking, this is what I have come up with. I have green in my bathroom and bedroom. The closet floor does not necessarily have to "match" the bathroom tile which is beige 12x12 marble. I am just perplexed and I am tired of thinking about it. My DH is about to do something I don't want to live with, he's so tired of the concrete. I have so over thought this, I'm not sure of my color picking/complimenting stuff anymore Here is the closet: My end:

DH end:

Floor tile 6x6

Drawer Hardware:

Except this 40 inch drawer would have this green glass bin pull (2 of them) in frosted or clear and ORB finish.

I cant afford to do all the drawers in the glass bin pulls. I wish I could. They are $11 each. So I thought I would do them on the one big drawer in the center. Then our drawers would have the bronze-y copper one. Most of the drawers are 36". I have 4 on the right of the closet that are 28" and was only going to do one pull in the center on them. Two on the others

Comments (4)

• Shannon01
    13 years ago

I know you say the floor does not have to match or be same as bath but I personally think it should be same since it is what I would consider to be part of the bathroom. If you want something not so matchy I would suggest a solid tile in the lightest shade of the bath tile.

I hate to say this, but I would suggest closet have all the handles in the bronzycopper style. I know you love the green ones but I really think it just does not go together. Now what I do think would go is a very sleek/deco handle in same metal as the green pulls might look nice with the green ones.

IMO.

• Sujafr
    13 years ago

Lovely storage space in your closet! I'm with shannon here and think the closet should be an extension of the bath so you keep a cohesive look. IMHO I'd use similar if not the same pulls in the closet that you've used in the bathroom. I'd also do the same with the flooring--definitely have it coordinate with the bathroom--and I don't see the green above doing that. It seems rather rustic compared to the beige marble you mentioned. Maybe a pic of the bathroom would help.

I know you didn't ask, but in the above photo, there's a glimpse of the bathroom cabinets and they appear dark. You said the closet shelves are now stained, but it appears in the picture as those they aren't quite finished yet, or at least the two-tone of the front vs the sides gives that appearance. If the fronts are already stained, you might consider going over them again with a much darker stain to blend more with the sides to enhance the beautiful work you've put in there. JMHO.

• llcp93
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Shannon and Sujarf
    Thank You for your opinions and thoughts.
    The closet is finished in two tones. Natural and what was supposed to be more brown, like the bathroom, but is redder in tone. I don't dislike it, it's just not what I wanted. The cabinets were a mixed stain 13 years ago. This was supposed to match. Sigh....
    Here is a pic of the bathroom and bedroom with touches of green. The cornice has green pattern between the stripes, the "curtains" are green and the mirrors are green/gold. The bedroom drapes and skirt are green. The chair and pillow on the bed match the fabric of the bath cornice.

In April, we had an interior hot water heater go out and flood several rooms. Our closet was one of them. I had wanted to take out the master bath marble, as it has not held up well to high traffic, and replace with porcelain. Also, to get rid of the shiny shower tile. But, I used my mad money to have built ins for the closet instead.
    One day, I will replace it. For now, I thought of doing something nice in the closet and matching the bath later.
    Here is an inspirational sample I saw yesterday.It is marble 8x12. I would like two colors of porcelain 8x12 and 2" inserts. It would "blend" with the existing bath for now.

{{!gwi}}

Here is a pattern I cut out of construction paper to size. It's not perfectly laid out (pieces kept moving, not totally strait, etc)

I will go with the bronzy-copper drawer pulls on all drawers.

• jejvtr
    13 years ago

zoo

Lovely closet - I would give my eye teeth for a walk in closet in our old home.

Given budget constraints and the fact that it is a closet, & will have the door closed most of the time. I would recommend getting some laminate flooring - inexpensive, easy to install, easy on the feet - You can add a nice runner once you have finished. Tile will be cold & hard & will also cost $ for the install

If you want glass pulls
    http://antiques.shop.ebay.com/Architectural-Garden-/4707/i.html?rt=nc&Material=Glass&_nkw=vintage%20drawer%20pulls&_dmpt=Architectural_Garden&_fln=1&_ssov=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

good luck