Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stu2900

How big are your bathroom towel bars and how did you dress them?

stu2900
15 years ago

If I ask this on the bathroom forum they're going to think I'm obsessed with towel bars, but I figured it was a decorating question anyway!:) I just think towel bars and how the towels are hung on them can really make a decorating statement. I'm interested in both everyday use and guest use. I'm also curious what colors everyone uses.

Comments (25)

• jaymielo
    15 years ago

All of our towel racks are 24" (except the powder room which is 18"). I wouldn't call this dressed, but it is what it is. The 24 incher seems to accommodate a bath towel, hand towel and wash cloth nicely.

We also have some towel rings thrown in for good measure. I kinda like them because you can use them without totally messing them up and needing to refold the towel.

• teacats
    15 years ago

We use a row of six double hooks instead of towel bars -- we find that folks will hang up more towels AND -- of course -- the hooks hold more towels too!

At the moment there are dark chocolate brown towels in the guest bath -- and dark sage green ones in the master bath. Both bathrooms always have fresh white towels too!

• stu2900
    Original Author
    15 years ago

teacats--any pictures? I hear about people using hooks, but I have hooks in my laundry room that we use for the spa towels and I keep fighting to keep the towels on them. Maybe I'm not using the right kind of hooks.

• teacats
    15 years ago

This is an older photo -- these towels have migrated to the master bathroom and been replace with dark brown ones!

• jaymielo
    15 years ago

I think hooks are great, especially for kids (and DHubbies)! There is an outside chance they will end up on the hook instead of the floor! Great old pictures BTW, teacats ;)

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

not me, lol, but we like bath sheets, so the double ballet barre works well for us. Sets can be neatly folded or stretched out to dry fast. Also handy for drying laundry if I want. Ours is full wall length with three supports under the large three way mirror med cabinet.
    {{gwi:1481914}}

• lmhartman
    15 years ago

We have 2 - 30" bars in the master. My husband and I both like to use 2 towels after showering and the 24" bars are too short to hang 2 towels without folding them in thirds and then they never dry out. We also have rings in all the bathrooms next to the sinks for a hand towels. In the powder we also have a fingertip towel layered over the hand towel simply because I like the way it looks.

In my son's bathroom we have hooks for his bath towels as there isn't room for a 30" bar without it looking odd. To get the towels to stay on the hooks I sew the ends of an approximately 5" long piece of 1/2" bias tape to the towels in a color as close to the towels as i can find. Hopefully I can describe it. Rather than have the bias tape look like a loop, I flatten out the towels and lay the bias on the outside edge of the middle of the long sides, then sew the ends of the tape to the towels. That way they are easy to hang up, but when they are in use the bias lays flat and doesn't get in the way.

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

Jaymielo, Love how the surf theme looks in their bathroom. Very cheerful! Glad you got them.

• western_pa_luann
    15 years ago

We hang our bath sheets on ceramic hooks.

• Sueb20
    15 years ago

I'm with teacats on the hooks. We have only hooks in both our powder room and our kids' bathroom, and they work great. No worries about how the towel is "arranged" and no, we haven't had any problems hanging the hand towel on the hook. In our master, we have two towel rings (his and hers) but I might replace those with hooks too. In our family, each of us has our own hook in our own room (usually on the back of a door) to hang a bath towel. This is partly because all of our bathrooms are small, and we just don't have a lot of space for towel bars, but I also just don't like "displaying" bath towels in the bathroom.

• daisyadair
    15 years ago

I replaced my towel bar with some hooks - I was just too short to put the towels on the bar without climbing into the bathtub.

• stu2900
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Not sure I'm inclined to go that direction, but if I did, do these hooks look like they would hang onto the towels?

{{!gwi}}

• stu2900
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I wish this forum would allow you to edit. I wanted to add that I really don't want to take the time to sew on tabs to hang the towels, so I would need hooks that would hang onto them.

• tinam61
    15 years ago

Daisy - I love your hooks and the shelf above. Also the colors in your bath!

We have a 28" towel bar on one wall in our bathroom and towel rings at each end of the double vanity. Towels on these are not actually used, they just look nice. LOL

We have a large linen closet from the master bath and it has a vent. My husband some how put clip type holders on the edges of one shelf (wire shelving in there). The towels we use are hung full length not over a bar where they quickly dry. We have a short bar thing in the shower where we hang wet washcloths.

tina

tina

• jockewing
    15 years ago

Jay, what is that aqua color in your bathroom? It is lovely, and looks very similar to BM Azores, which I just painted my kitchen.

• jaymielo
    15 years ago

jockewing, I assume you are referring to my bath? If so, thank you. The color is SW Drizzle. It never seems to come out "true" to color in pictures, but I really like it!

• fivefootzero
    15 years ago

Not sure where I read it, probably in the bath forum, but if you're towels don't stay put on the hooks, you can put a dab of clear silicone on the back side or top of the hook and it will grip the towel, doesn't ruin the hook (it basically peels off like rubber cement).

• nhb22
    15 years ago

We use hooks, and have them placed over the air vent. They dry really fast that way and last longer before turning sour.

Here are pictures from previous and current home. We have used hooks in our last 4 homes. We also use a small towel bar near the sinks, for hand and washcloths. Towel rings in the guest baths.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{gwi:1537494}}

• sandra12
    15 years ago

{{!gwi}}
    Our bathroom is very small, so, the towel bar is over the toilet. Towel ring by the sink.

• annzgw
    15 years ago

NHB,

Also, great idea to use the fireplace screen to hide the vent!

• stu2900
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The towels look good hanging on the hooks, but it might help to see the actual hooks you're using.
    Teacats, I love the pictures in your bathroom. This mornings Gordman's ad shows the pictures of the ladies in dresses.
    The bathroom we're redoing is the main bath for the house and it seems to be on the formal side. I never know how rooms are going to end up they just seem to evolve during the remodeling process. It's really fun to see all these beautiful bathrooms, though. I love seeing all the different design styles!

• nhb22
    15 years ago

My hooks are just straight rods. See below link for look.

annz - Yes, I cannot stand to see vents showing. The fireplace screen is an antique that my husbands great aunt painted.

I saw the neatest idea in my "dream home" the other day. The couple built cabinet doors over their vents and put chair caning in the inserts. That way, the vents were covered, but there was enough air flow. The problem about having the vents covered, is the dust that accumulates.

Here is a link that might be useful: Towel hooks

• tfm1134
    15 years ago

newhomebuilder-I love the colors in both your rooms. WouLd you mind sharing the nameS?

• nhb22
    15 years ago

I assume you mean the two rooms in my current home. They are BM Putnam Ivory and BM Raspberry Truffle.