Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nerb10

Help with roof color

nerb10
9 years ago

Hi all, I have been agonizing for months over roof color. would you mind looking at house and telling me what you recommend. I can't tell if my house is more warm or cool because it seems to change color depending on sun. It's either a taupe or a grey. I was thinking a charcoal would work but I don't want it to be too dark, e.g. black. Have been looking at certain teed landmark colonial slate and georgetown grey but not sure which would work best and if they are too light. Owens Corning Estate grey is an option but it is very speckled. Thoughts? Thanks!!!
PS I have since redone the landscaping! Please ignore!

Comments (12)

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Cute house! I think a darker color would look nice. Right now, it looks a bit washed out.

• Sujafr
    9 years ago

HereâÂÂs a visual for you of various shades of darker. I've found that a darker roof is usually better than a lighter one, because it provides some contrast if your house is light. Hope this helps.

Currently:

• 2MayEmeralds
    9 years ago

We agonized over our roof decision a year or so ago. I ended up going with "charcoal", which I worried would be too black. It looks dark grey to me (even in shade/cloud it isn't BLACK) and we have been really happy with it.

I agree with he prior posters- contrast would be great. So nice of sujafr to put together the trials for you! I did that and its how we finally picked our roof color. I like #1 and #2 the best.

This post was edited by 2MayEmeralds on Fri, Oct 3, 14 at 0:17

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    9 years ago

When I first started participating on this forum in 2004 I think I answered every roof question with all asphalt shingles should be black. Right around 2007 or 2008 I started to see more charcoal options. So, then I started answering that all asphalt roof shingles should be black or charcoal - because they are 'the most neutral'.

In 2009, we moved from the midwest. And then I realized what a narrow color perspective that was.

Where I live now, if you have a black or even charcoal roof people think you have lost your mind. It just doesn't work in this climate.

Now in 2014, there are even more options for roofing. Different styles and colors - the same basic colors as ten years ago, but also new blends that are lovely.

I do like putting a darker roof on a light colored house because it makes it feel more grounded.

Another color epiphany I had is that doesn't mean it has to be the darkest roof shingle you can find, i.e. black. It just means it should be darker than the overall color of the house.

Overall roof pattern is another thing to consider. I agree with you that 'very speckled' might conflict with the mottled colored brick.

Looking at the options here on the interwebs it looks to me like the Certainteed Landmark Georgetown Grey would be a good option. Just be sure to get samples to make sure the shingle colors play nicely with your brick/house colors and that its pattern is not too busy.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Your home is so charming. I would definitely go very dark with your roof. I love pic one and two in the mock ups.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I would go with a brown that includes the beige in your siding...maybe something like this.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

We used Certainteed landmark burnt sienna on our beigey home. We love it and have had many compliments.

We live in a part of the country where a large variety of colors is the norm.

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    9 years ago

My cream painted brick house has dark green trim, and formerly a black roof. I used the Colonial Slate for the new roof and am very happy with it. As FunColors said, it's dark enough to contrast with the brick color, but light enough to do better in the heat. Additionally, I didn't want to emphasize the warmness of the cream with a brown roof such as Annie suggested--that might be just what you need if you like your house color. I'm glad I went with the Slate.

• awm03
    9 years ago

funcolors, I'm going to add another concept: you have to look at your roof line and decide if you want that to stand out or to blend in. Some houses have unattractive roof designs, and you don't want to accentuate that. For example, some houses have huge, tall roofs -- more roof than house. Would you want to emphasize it or minimize it? Some houses look better when the house and roof are all apiece (low contrast between house & roof) instead of chopped up into color blocks. And some houses have beautiful roof lines and lovely proportions, and a contrasting "cap" would look great. That said, I'm enjoying homes with silver or light gray roofs these days instead of the ubiquitous dark roof.

nerb's house has a pretty roof line. I'd go for contrast in her situation.

• nerb10
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the input! I'm having trouble finding a color that is "charcoal" - not to light and not too dark. I'm a little nervous about the amount of red in landmark colonial slate and the amount of green/blue in landmark georgetown grey. Tamco makes a rustic black but I am concerned that is too black. Am looking at Owens Corning Williamsburg Grey now and IKO Harvard Slate although I have heard IKO might not be of the same quality. Anyone have experience w/ these specific colors? At this point I wish I had one of those houses where the roof barely shows - wouldn't matter as much. My roof is very visible from the road - takes up about half the sight line. Oh, and btw, my brick is painted - so less mottled in color. Thanks again for all the responses!!

• awm03
    9 years ago

I was thinking if your house swings between taupe and gray, maybe a warmer gray would look better than a bluer, cooler gray (sky reflection will can make a cool gray or black roof look blue gray or blue black).

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    9 years ago

funcolors, I'm going to add another concept: you have to look at your roof line and decide if you want that to stand out or to blend in.

Yes! That's a good point to consider too.