Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
61tinkerbell

~*~ pics ~*~ flooring transition.. wood or tile, opinions please

tinker_2006
16 years ago

ANOTHER decision issue that I am having a hard time with! I don't know WHY I just can't seem to get a handle on these items!

I finally made up my mind - I am going to go with Cherry cabinets in the kitchen. I have a wood floor picked out for the whole house, (except for the bathrooms, which will be a tile which I also have decided on - thank goodness!) I like the shade, but it is very close to the color of the cherry cabinets, so I am wondering if it would be better to go with tile in the kitchen to give it more contrast, since I can't seem to find a floor that I like better (I don't care for oak)

I am not sure if breaking the floor up is a good idea, and if it would look too choppy if I did. I am not opposed to using the wood in the kitchen at all, I just want the BEST look.

This is the tile I would use, but it really is much nicer in person then online:

{{!gwi}}

Here is the hardwood:

{{!gwi}}

Here is a picture of the cabinet color:

{{!gwi}}

Here is the floor plan of our new build.

{{!gwi}}

Thanks in advance for your opinions, as DH IS NO HELP! (and I would bore my family and friends)

Comments (22)

• Kathryn Dunbar
    16 years ago

Have you tried to find pictures that you like of it? I'm So not in the decorating "savvy" bunch on this site, but here are 3 pictures I found that I like with the wood... So I'm leaning towards the hardwood :)

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here is a better picture of the tile
    {{!gwi}}

I do like would in the kitchen Katryn, I am just afraid that there will not be enough contrast. I am bring this contrast issue up because there was another thread regarding contrast (different topic then floors) so it made me wonder...

The floor and the cabinets are very close to the same color. I have searched for other floors - but haven't found any that I like better.. because this is going throughout the whole house, I want a wood I like, but if it would "look" better, tiling the kitchen I would.

• annzgw
    16 years ago

I don't think it will look too choppy if you tile the kitchen. My hardwood leads to the kitchen and I'm really enjoying having tile instead of wood there. My previous home had wood, and although I loved the look, I find I don't worry anymore everytime water drips from the dishwasher or I spill something.

It's a personal thing! ;)

• brutuses
    16 years ago

I don't think it will look choppy. All the colors should look really nice. You're right about the floor matching the cabinets. The think the tile would give a nice contrast. Great taste!!

• chiefneil
    16 years ago

I used a lot of different types of flooring throughout the house. I think it's personal preference - some people like the look of the same flooring throughout, others like myself like variety and contrast.

Here's a couple photos of how the kitchen transition looks.

In this photo you can see the contrast between the tile and cabs.

Here's a look in the opposite direction. I don't think it looks choppy, but I'm sure some people would think that it does. This photo shows where I actually have three different types of flooring but oddly enough I personally think it works.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Looking at your floorplan, I don't think it'll look choppy either. I think it would be a nice refreshing little pop and much easier for cleanup, except the grout of course :)

What did the sample do? How did you feel walking through that? Do you plan on using any rugs in the kitchen? That might also be enough to break up the wood if you're doing orientals or something in there (very rich with the brick). Hmmm, yes, remember the brick. Not sure about introducing another material into the small floor area.

Well, I like warm and cozy, wood floors, brick oven, oriental rugs sounds scrumptuous to me. Also, what's planned for your nook area? Would wood or a light tile feel better in there to you with the furnishings you have planned?

• onourway2nc
    16 years ago

I love, love, love all your choices from the floorplan to the cabinets to the flooring. I am positive it would not look chopped up by using the tile in the kitchen. I've seen many similar homes and they flowed easily from one room to the other. In fact, it will allow the beauty of both the cabinets and the wood flooring to stand out without competing with each other.

• lkremodel
    16 years ago

I also like your tile choice and the contrast it provides with the cabinets.

We were afraid of water on wood kitchen floors (teens plus wild dog here). We used tile and have a wood floor in adjoining dining room. I was pleasantly surprised that there are beautiful wood transition strips that can be used where the two surfaces met. Previously, our house had metal strips at bathroom doors. Now, we either have no transition strip where tile meets carpet or a nice wood strip.

• jejvtr
    16 years ago

Tinker
    I feel for you - w/all those choices & decisions

My own $.02
    I LOVE having HW in the kit - it is so forgiving, warm, easy to maintain -
    If you are considering tile - contrary to popular belief about water & damage - water can do plenty of damage on a tile floor - It's just that when the water is gone you don't see whats lurking under it - ever see sub floors when a bathroom is gutted???

- Tile is cold & not forgiving on the body - so if you stand in the kitchen for prolonged periods it has the propencity to be tough on the legs & back

That said I would agree not having the wood floor & lovely cabs matching - they will get lost - I would consider going to flooring place and/or talking to the floor person w/cab sample in hand tell them what you would like & see what they advise - is it possible to get the cherry flooring to a lighter color? - or can you use another species in the kitchen - I know you don't like oak but I'm just wondering if you have looked at samples against the cab sample...

Good luck

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    16 years ago

All great replies, thanks everyone. I think I do need to look a a little more at wood and see if there is anything else to consider.

*IF* I was to choose the tile, what about granite.. would most granite be okay with that tile, or do you think a lot of them would clash? This is all seeming so overwhelming and reminding me why I said I would never build again! LOL

• jejvtr
    16 years ago

Did you choose your countertop material yet? I wouldn't choose a tile floor w/o choosing the countertop 1st -
    you could choose wood though w/o the countertop

Cherry flooring images
    http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/1559923/2/istockphoto_1559923_brazilian_cherry_flooring.jpg

http://www.southernwoodfloors.com/engineered/engineered_cherry_floor.jpg

http://www.lakewoodconferences.com/direct/dbimage/50170348/Vienna_Cherry_Flooring__MF6235_.jpg

http://www.millworkforless.net/images/cherry-1.jpg

Also, nothing wrong w/2 different species of wood flooring- it adds interest and because it is in a different room is fine to do - the other bonus is because this is new construction they have the ability to line the floors up so no threshold is necessary between the 2

oak flooring w/cherry cabs
    http://dytiscid.com/kitch1after-small.JPG

http://www.cutulihomes.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/Furgwdesland.jpg

http://www.ajcpllc.com/images/6_paula_circle_kitchen_1.jpg

http://www.wilsonestate.com/images/Main%20Level/100_0251.JPG

When all else fails - I search here for ideas

http://www.kennebeccompany.com/shaker.php?gallerynumber=3
    or here
    http://ratemyspace.hgtv.com/SNC/GroupSearch.aspx?itemGUID=927ef055-8b48-46c1-8bbc-6bd3d5d1f215&pguid=6db6be3f-1720-4ba3-a081-999042c09b6b

Good luck tinker - take a deep breath & focus on one thing at a time

HTH

• estreya
    16 years ago

I'm fond of my cabinet/wood floor combination as well. The kitchen is actually behind me in this photograph, but it's the same cabinetry that was used in the telephone area:

{{!gwi}}

I will say that if i happen to drop a pot lid or what have you on the wood floor, i wince at the ding it leaves. I wonder if tile wouldn't be more resilient?

• roygbiv
    16 years ago

I have similar hardwoods in my home with a tile in the kitchen. If I could do it over again, I would have hardwoods throughout and change the island cabinets to a contrasting color - white, cream, red, blue - whatever fits with the colors you love and will have in the house. Having the floors continuous gives a bigger feel to the home, IMO. I also have a hard time keeping the grout clean and the tile is cold in the winter.

So, keep the hardwoods you love and change the island cabinets to another color and keep a lighter counter top.

• sanborn5
    16 years ago

We are building our 8th house. I have had hardwood in the kitchen in the last two, and LOVE it.
    I found tile with three HS children very NON FORGIVING.
    Anything that dropped went into 1,000 different pieces and in a 1,000 different directions. It was also COLD.
    I will admit, our first house with hardwood in the kitchen, the kids were then in college so just myself, DH, and our dog. Yes, the floor sometimes got wet, but I just wiped it up. Now my daughter has a golden, they both work, and use a dog walker during the day. Their beautiful hardwood floor in kitchen with like 5 coats of poly is not in the best shape since Tanner was adopted 10 months ago. So, I guess it is what you want and who lives with you.

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    16 years ago

roygbiv, this was exactly what I planned on doing. I have had the HARDEST time choosing between cream painted cabinets or the cherry... but for now, I am saying Cherry (but I so love cream too!!) and I will do the island in cream.

jejvtr, thanks for all the links.. I got "stuck" on the rate my space, and spent a couple hours on it!! (of course, 2nd guessing myself again!)

I did have hardwood in the kitchen in our last house, and I did really love it, however, I only lived there 7 months - barely enough time to settle in.

The flooring is a Spanish mahogany, so it is a different wood species, yet I am not sure if it has enough of a contrast, or if it doesn't really matter much if I am going with a lighter (either in the gold or beige) granite and doing the island in a cream glaze.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Hi Tinker, Found a pic online of similar cabinetry and flooring, with a light colored island too! Notice how simple the backsplash is and how it mirrors the island. Do you know what you'll be doing with your backsplash? Can't remember if the brick on your oven unit goes to the floor. I'd keep an eye on how many colors, patterns, materials are breaking up the space, with regards to how you like things to look and feel. Depending on your lifestyle, you may even want a calming kitchen rather than a visually stimulating one. Just something to think about! as you'll likely be spending a lot of time working in there :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Cherry kitchen & floor w/white island

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Squirrel, that's a PERFECT picture! I have no clue as what I will do with the back-splash yet, (just another area to add confusion!). The brick does go down to the floor, so with that in mind, I think staying with wood is the way to go in this kitchen.

I know I do not want a dark granite as in the model home, and I do know I want to add a back-splash, and not paint as the model home has... so next question I most likely will post seeking advise is what to do with the back-splash!

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I agree that the wood will be great and there will be enough materials going on. Curious what they used in the model home?

• kitchendetective
    16 years ago

Would you mind sharing the name and brand of the tile you are considering?

I have wood in my kitchen after having had tile, pavers, etc. The wood is my favorite. It makes a huge difference for my feet when I do a lot of prep and cooking. I can't imagine I would ever go back to tile floors, except in bathrooms.

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Squirrel, the model home has the cherry cabinets and a maple floors, stained a cherry color. They look nice together, but I find the kitchen too dark with all the dark granite. Also, the floors are a high gloss floor and it is already showing MANY scratches in the surface.

Thanks for all your help, I really feel I have made some headway with your help in both the kitchen and fireplace area... and I think that these have been my hardest decisions!

kitchendetective, this is a beautiful porcelain tile imported from Italy. The name of the company is Pastorelli, and the color of the tile is Alabastro. They have another one that it lighter and it is also very nice and the name of that one is Classico.

• kitchendetective
    16 years ago

Thank you; I will look into it.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

You're welcome! Yes, that's the thing that keeps coming to mind, esp in Florida (which I've only seen pics of) -- that it may feel too dark for you.