Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dollfanz_gw

I'm Bored. Let's Have Some Fun Decorating With Photos.

dollfanz
13 years ago

I love old vintage black and white photos. Actually any intersting photos. So I was thinking, we could each share a couple of pictures and at the same time we could print them to help decorate our walls.

Flowers, scenic,anything not X-rated. LOL. I will start. This is a cool, old photo of my long passed away Grandmother. She was quite the flapper.

The next one is just some random lady waiting for a train. Not sure where this one came from. But it's cool.

So if you don't mind sharing, they might just end up on my wall.

Comments (36)

• DLM2000-GW
    13 years ago

I've got a couple you'll probably love but not on this computer. Give me a few minutes and I'll go upstairs and post them for you. Love the one of your Grandma!

• dollfanz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok.. great! Can't wait to see them.

• rj56
    13 years ago

My paternal grandmother

• caroline94535
    13 years ago

I have very few family photos, and none that go back too far or or very elegant.

Still, I collect "instant ancestors." It breaks my heart to see lovely old photos, especially military or wedding photos, sitting in bins in antique and thrift stores. I grab all I can.

Here are some photos I've either picked up, or copied. I have no idea who these people are.

How could anyone let a photo like this get out of the family?

I wonder if these fine young men made it home? England, 1943

Check out the guests' expressions!

Another war bride? Check out the barkcloth drapes.

Not my wedding photo, but very similar and from the same era!

I have scores more of old photos. I love them!

I always wanted a Grandpa, and I've always loved parakeets. When I saw this photo I just had to get it. It will be framed and hug in my sewing room.

• sundownr
    13 years ago

Here's one of my MIL. 2nd row from the bottom on the left. Isn't she sweet. :) They were in costume for a play.

{{!gwi}}

and another
    {{!gwi}}

• sundownr
    13 years ago

I forgot to say I love the photos posted! The grandmothers are lovely (and one may be a little sassy "grin>)! And the train lady with her luggage and hat box.

• dollfanz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I love these old photos and JillJohn, your grandmother was beautiful.
    I am a sucker for old wedding photos too. I can't seem to get family to send me any. I know they have them stashed away somewhere.

• flyingflower
    13 years ago

These are great photos! But how are you able to copy your jpg files over?

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Jill, your grandmother is just beautiful!

Flyingflower, I take a picture of an old picture, download it to "My Pictures", then upload it to Photobucket. The scanner is hooked up to the other computer, that's why I do it this way.

Off to take pictures! :)

• rj56
    13 years ago

Sundownr, what great photos! I too feel sad for those long lost pics. My mother was the keeper of the photos. When she was in the early stages of Alzheimers, I started bringing some of the old ones here and scanned them all. Here's another kind of fun one from my husband's family

• caminnc
    13 years ago

Great pictures! Anyone here that enjoys looking at old pictures should visit Shorpy Historic Photos. It has thousands of high-def images.

Here is a link that might be useful: SHORPY

• DLM2000-GW
    13 years ago

SO Sorry! Got totally distracted last night, then went straight to bed. I have tons of fabulous old family photos and love going through them.

My Grandmother

My Grandmother in her traveling clothes

My Mother

• sergeantcuff
    13 years ago

I love these old pictures! I have many old family photos, and will try to share a few later. (I have none scanned and cannot find the camera.)

I have been wondering about the best way to frame and display old photos. I've had trouble finding old frames of the correct size. Any ideas?

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

Great pics above. I wish my scanner worked Loretta Lynn and Dolly Pardon and Tobacco Road had nothing on the country pictures of my family back in the hills of Alabama. And I wouldn't trade my country grandma for the exquisite Daisy from The Great Gatsby, no way.

....Jane

• lala girl
    13 years ago

I love these pics -- They are amazing! I love old photographs too, we put ours in a huge old window, I love having them up, I always look at them when I am sitting with coffee (or wine..:-)

{{!gwi}}

• flyingflower
    13 years ago

I don't know how to resize it once I load the images to photobucket. The older gent is my great-grandfather, taken in Placerville CA. He ended up falling into a river and drowning, too drunk to save himeself. lol.

The younger man is his son (my grandmother's brother). This obviously posed photo was taken at their gold mine in northern CA.

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• dollfanz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

DLM2000, I love your grandmother's photos! I think I might just adopt yours and Jills for my walls. They can hang out with my grandmother. LOL.

• DLM2000-GW
    13 years ago

This is a great thread - very original dollfanz! I have some other photos of her that aren't scanned but I'll dig them out - you'll probably love them. Just curious - are you most interested in females?

laurainlincoln that is a wonderful display. Love the use of the old window and now I'm sick about the one I passed up on the curb!

• dollfanz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No, not just women. Love the above photo of grandpa and the one holding the parakeet. But I want to group them according to style. For instance, the women with high style would go in my bedroom with my fashion sketches.

Any photos of people in travel mode ie; train stations, airports, cars. Will go in another wall collection. Im doing several projects with B&Ws.

• creekylis
    13 years ago

How fun!

Here is my father as a little one:

{{!gwi}}

Dad again, with his older brother:

{{!gwi}}

• creekylis
    13 years ago

Here's a few more...

My father again with his father and aunt. I never knew the latter two.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

My grandmother (center):

{{!gwi}}

My dad. 1946 in Batangas on Luzon in the Philippine Islands:

{{!gwi}}

• pfmastin
    13 years ago

This is such a fun thread..I am a genealogy buff and love old photos. This is my great aunt and her husband.

{{!gwi}}

• flyingflower
    13 years ago

This was taken in 1860 (from a Daguerreotype).
    {{!gwi}}

• flyingflower
    13 years ago

{{!gwi}}

• flyingflower
    13 years ago

{{!gwi}}

• mary_lu_gw
    13 years ago

I have a whole box of old pictures, but have few scanned in.

My dad taken in 1913

My mom in the 1930's

• yayagal
    13 years ago

I've enjoyed these pictures sooo much.

• rj56
    13 years ago

What great pictures and some real hotties too (male and female). The black/white and sepia toned just give a different feel. And how dressed up everyone is. Noone dresses up anymore!

• lynn_r_ct
    13 years ago

Jilljohn, did the same when my mom began her decent into that God awful illness. I always stress to family and friends to find out before it is too late who the pictures are of. I also began passing out pictures she had to cousins and such. Once I die my Uncle Walter will mean nothing to my kids, but will mean a lot to Uncle Walters sons, grandsons, and great grandsons - so off they have gone. Mom died 13 years ago and I know there are pics of her floating around and I would love to have them, so this is why I have started this project so that someone will hopefully enjoy the ones I will give them.

• bungalow_house
    13 years ago

Wow. What treasures. This might be my favorite thread ever here. :)

jilljohn, that photo of your grandmother is just exquisite.

I'm having a hard time choosing which ones to post here, but here are a couple of my favorites. Jane, I'll see your country relatives and raise you one!

• mduncan0614
    13 years ago

{{!gwi}}

• shellfish
    13 years ago

I love all of these photos-thanks so much for posting!

My mother recently gave me some old black and white, and sepia family photos. I decided they were too beautiful to keep tucked away, so I framed them with heavy black frames and have hung them in my dining room. Definitely not traditional but I love them. I will take a photo today and post-thanks for starting this thread!

• dollfanz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I really enjoy these pictures. It makes me wonder about their life back then.

• User
    13 years ago

I have boxes and boxes but no scanner. I guess I may need to get one. unfortunately there are a lot of photos that have no names and I have a lot of others that need to go to parts of my family that we have lost touch with and have no way of ever finding them.

I LOVE the photos that you all have posted. The sepia tones and as was said the dressy clothes. Oh my, Bottom left photo is my brother with a past president of the US...also bottom shelf the 8x10 right middle side is my Mom when she married.

I bought this piece of furniture just for my family photos. It was from a tear down in the NH or Boston area. A built in cabinet. I refurbished it with glass shelves. Stripped all the thick white pain off and then stopped as it goes well with my chocolate walls in the morning room. I wish I had a scanner,,,,sigh...

{{!gwi}}

• Christy Bell
    13 years ago

Just simply wonderful photos. I love old pictures also. I'm working on the genealogy of my family that my dad passed down to me after he died. I'd love to display some of our old photos - sort of in a family tree format. I think it'd be so neat for my kids to see their family members from long ago in an organized way. Has anyone done something like this? Any ideas?

• rj56
    13 years ago

Christyinco, my MIL found a family tree that has small ovals where you can put the pictures in the right order. I think she made copies of photos, then had them resized so the "heads" would fit in the oval space. For all of you wanting to display your old photos, you may want to have copies made and display them, then keep the originals stored in an archival safe container. Also, be careful labeling them as regular ball point ink will eventually eat through the paper. My mom bought a variety of frames, appropriate for the vintage photos,and has them grouped on a wall in her parlor. I have about 5, just my grandparents and my parents as children, in frames grouped together on a table. You can find some small victorian inspired frames at places like Michaels and Hobby Lobby.