Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amck2

Please Recommend Source For Rug Pads

amck2
9 years ago

We're having our hardwood floors refinished and I need to buy rug pads for two oriental-style wool & silk rugs. One is 8 x 10, the other 9 x 12.

What type do you prefer and do you have an online source? Thanks

Comments (8)

• User
    9 years ago

I'm wondering the same thing. Can I use the carpet pad that is under the carpet I have now after the carpet gets pulled up? Trip hazard? All the rug sites have them, too, for another sixty bucks. Or more.

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

I need to know this too. I keep reading here about felt pads, but I never see them for sale anywhere.

• amck2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Guess I'm not alone on this.

The ones I pulled up were about 1/4" of a solid compressed foam-type material They held up well for about a decade. The past couple years I noticed they'd begun to crumble around the edges.

They were pricey when I bought them but seemed worth the investment to protect the nice rugs. Wondering if there is a preferred new fabrication anyone has used and liked. I can't remember where I bought the last ones.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

For both safety and comfort, the best way to go is a non-slip felt rug pad with a little bit of depth, like this one.

Here is a link that might be useful: rug pad

• sixtyohno
    9 years ago

We just bought a pad from rug pads for less. We have wood floors. They have excellent info on the site.

Here is a link that might be useful: rug pads

• JennaVaNowSC
    9 years ago

I bought one from Rug Pad Corner for an area rug over my engineered hardwood floors. It is natural felt with no chemicals, no off-gassing and no smell.. Reasonably priced, great customer service. I am not affiliated with this company in any way, just a satisfied customer.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

I bought the same type of rug pads Annie showed in her picture from the flooring/carpet store in my little town. They were less expensive than the online sources; I didn't have to pay shipping; and DH picked them up the same day. I give them my exact rug size and they cut the pad to the correct size (slightly smaller than the rug, but I don't remember precisely how much smaller).

Call around and see what your local stores have. I describe it as the stuff that is used for oriental rugs and looks like felt with a rubberized backing.

• amck2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the help. I've ordered the ones Tibbrix linked from Amazon. With Amazon Prime we have no shipping charges. It's one item I can check off the remodel list. Yeah!