Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaqg

How to Decorate around an Off-Centre Window? Any Thoughts?

lindaqg
14 years ago

I have a rectangular bedroom. Our bed is up against a wall with an off-centre window, leaving a big, empty space above one side of the bed. Unfortunately, we cannot move the bed to a different wall, so we have to work with the off-centre window. I've posted 2 pictures here at the link below - I'm really not sure what to do with this wall - please advise!

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of Off-Centre Window and bed Headboard

Comments (9)

• rucnmom
    14 years ago

I'd do some sort of layered pseudo-bed curtain that involved a long rod behind the bed that covered the wall in fabric. Cover and pretend it isn't there.

• bungalow_house
    14 years ago

I had the same problem in a previous house. I hung a few prints that, as a unit, were roughly symmetrical to the lone window. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of it.

• teacats
    14 years ago

Yes -- both of the excellent solutions above will work.

1) Hide It! Basically hang curtains across the entire wall. You can still hang swing-arm lamps -- through the curtains -- on both sides of the bed which will add to the illusion. Plus add tiny bedside tables or cabinets to create more symmetry to the entire wall and room.

2) Deal with It! Okay -- the issue is to create visual balance using the principles or ideas of assymmetry. Do a VERY simple window treatment -- for example a sheer fabric -- inside the window frame. Add your bedside tables and lamps. Stand back and look again. Add artworks or something like black-and-white photos (frame in simple strong frames) -- maybe two or three or even a small gride of four to "balance" the window. This can be a bit tricky -- but it all depends on the size, number and shapes of the artworks.

3) Use it! Now this depends on your skills as a planner and carpenter .... create a wall of bookshelves around your whole bed. You MIGHT want to remove the frame around the window -- and build the shelves around it. OR you MIGHT want to cover it with the bookcases or shelves (yes -- remove the frame and frost the window first)

Hope this helps!!

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• judiegal6
    14 years ago

Found this on a How to sight

Here is a link that might be useful: how to

• graywings123
    14 years ago

Hiding it is probably the easiest solution, but if that's the only window in the room, I would look long and hard before going that route. I like Jan's idea of building bookcases and a bed nook on the wall.

Oh, wait, is that another window on the right? If so, then I would put a drape behind the bed large enough to cover the window.

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

I would put the bed on an angle from the left corner. There would be more room on both sides of it and seem more spacious. Put sheer curtains on the window and a little round table under it.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

This may sound crazy, but since you are renovating anyway...have you thought of adding another window or expanding the one you have? It depends on your house, I think. We have brick and were told that the brick, rather than beams were what is holding the roof up, so we would have needed to add a support beam if we removed brick. If your house is siding, it shouldn't be too hard to cut another window or widen the one you have. that is what I would go for, but then, I am not big on the idea of trying to camoflage things. I feel that rarely works well.

• gwbr54
    14 years ago

Variation of teacat's option 2:
    Make bed and bedside tables very symmetrical, so the window and artwork arrangement look intentional. (Note: bed needs to shift to left to be centered.) Also, I'd add trim at ceiling line to highlight the interesting existing ceiling.

{{!gwi}}

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Can't place the bed in the other direction, parallel to the window, still at that end of the room, with enough room for access from each side?