Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_4632355

Livingroom/kitchen ideas needed

User
9 years ago
Decorating doesn't come naturally to me & I don't know what to do next. I need curtains but can't decide on a overall look or color. I will eventually mount the tv & mirror & get some accessories... But not sure of colors or overall look. I am open to painting. I like neutral rooms but this is a snooze. Also, I've thought a light blue/gray/green color would be pretty. All ideas welcome,

Comments (18)

• hayleydaniels
    9 years ago
    My first thought is that the room desperately needs some color such as a deep red or burnt orange to give the eye something to focus on.

I love the idea of grayish blues and greens for the walls. I have a lot of green in my house, and absolutely love it!

SW 6423 Ryegrass · More Info

SW6192 Coastal Plain Sherwin-Williams · More Info

Paint Color SW 6220 Interesting Aqua from Sherwin-Williams · More Info

Open Seas by Sherwin-Williams · More Info

I would find some curtains or Roman shades with a pattern to provide visual interest, and then pull a color from there for the walls. You don't have to match it exactly. You can go a shade or two lighter or darker depending on the mood you want to create.

Another thing that will add a lot of personality to your room is to put some art up on the wall. Find things that reflect your personality, and that you like so that when you see them, it makes you happy. That's what's going to make you love your home. I have 2 rules of thumb I go by in decorating my house. First, if I like it, it works. And secondly, when I like how the room looks, it's done. If at a later date I tire of something, I replace it with something else. I love my house as it reflects my personality. Do the same, and you'll be very happy with your house.
    User thanked hayleydaniels
  • bzlady4u
    9 years ago
    Your room needs some color...either on walls or accent pieces.
  • Jody
    9 years ago
    Colorful accents!
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Yup, an absolute snooze, but with incredible potential. Could we see the wall opposite the fireplace, please? I want to see what piece of art you've hung. What do you mean, you haven't hung one? Well, there's your problem. Get thee to the gallery and bring home some inspiration. Make sure it's 2/3 - 3/4 the width of the couch.
  • Darzy
    9 years ago
    Check out this room. It is similar to yours with the sea of tan, but has the blue/aqua accents. You can do this with art and accessories too.
    Koger Residence · More Info
    User thanked Darzy
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago
    Decide what color you want in the room. I do think the proper focal point is the fireplace where you have the sofa facing. Change all side tables to small glass ones which you can pull under an edge of the sofa or between chairs. That will allow for room for at least two more seating places. You will need to get a coffee table, either an ottoman or a storage cube grouping, which will also serve for added seating and storage. It looks like you only have one table lamp. Add an arc floor lamp somewhere in the vicinity of the sofa. It looks like then you will need to add 2 more table lamps.. Color...... after painting I would like to see a lighter version of rye grass. Your drapes should be grommet top ceiling to floor drapes and include a set for over the sliders. They will all hang from the same position & add cohesion to both rooms. Since you have no prints you could go with a nice stripe which will incorporate a shade of the wall color & a shade you will pick that will be in your area rug.

I would choose a rug that has mostly the color of coastal plain, however pick it in a style with a very small figure, maybe faded as in an Oriental rug. Be sure to place the front two feet of the sofa & have it extend to 2 feet on either side of the sofa & bring the front feet of the love seat onto it. Move the green chair & ottoman over between the fireplace & to the center of the window. Place at an angle toward the sofa. Move the TV arrangement closer to the window. Your two extra chairs can be placed side by side angled toward the fireplace with a small ceramic table stool between. Check the Houzz Shop for accent chairs for the tan leather Baxter Studio,MCM, Jeffrey chairs, which cost 257.00 apiece. I would choose two medium sized abstract art pieces to hang above the sofa. Lamps, small pillows, pottery pieces should be in warm yellow & corals. Add a plant or two, voila, magic.
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    ^^^I did hang the mirror, though.
    User thanked groveraxle
  • mandy_moo_pants
    9 years ago
    Benjamin Moores Sea Star is a great green/gray color. If you wanted to keep the wall color the same, add some slip covers with complementary colored curtain panels. Don't be afraid of patterns or prints. Your room is very neutral now which is a great spring board to some fabulous designing.
  • User
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Groveraxle, did you use Photoshop to do that? I need to figure out how to do that. That is so helpful! Thank you everybody!!
  • User
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Can I bother somone to show me how the walls would look if I painted them one of the suggested light blue/gray/green colors? I am absolutely clueless about photoshop but would LOVE the visual! Thank you so very very much!
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Here's a visual, but let me suggest that wall color comes last. Don't expect the paint to do the heavy lifting. It's just the background that allows the rest of your decor to pop.
    User thanked groveraxle
  • Darzy
    9 years ago
    I preferred the current wall color with Groveraxle's blue curtains!
  • User
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    That is awesome! So helpful!! THANK YOU SO MUCH! I really need to figure out how to do that. :)
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Some blue looks for you, each informed by the art.
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    skp0001, learning Photoshop is not worth the effort unless you're going to do it all the time. It's easier to go shopping, bring home a load of stuff, and return what doesn't work.

I would encourage you, however, to make mood boards. Put photos of the things you like together in one document to see how they hang together. This will give your shopping some direction, and a better chance for fewer returns.

I also encourage you to find an inspiration to direct the space. For me, it's almost always art. But it could be a pillow you love, or a piece of pottery from Grandma, something you want to look at every day. ;-)
    User thanked groveraxle
  • Darzy
    9 years ago
    If you want to just try new wall color, Sherman Williams and Benjamin Moore sites lets you visualize by uploading a photo of your room, then you just click around the walls to try new colors.
  • User
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you, Groveraxle! You have been SO helpful!! Darcy, I didn't realize that! Great tip!!!!!!