Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kayla_wenzel

Please help me with ideas to make this house stand out.

Kayla Wenzel
9 years ago
we are moving to this house soon and I want it be a little eclectic to help it stand out.

Comments (2)

• AMN
    9 years ago
    I'm just going to throw out some ideas. You don't have to do all of them. Every little bit you do to spruce up this home will be helpful.

Repaint the whole house for the sake of putting on a new color and to freshen up everything. Mind the roof color when choosing paint. Looks like the roof is a medium brown tone. I'd go with a darker beige and lighter trim -- maybe off-white. Just paint the garage doors the color you choose for the body. You can add fun colors as an accent on the door and through flowers/plantings, accessories, etc.

Box in (or replace) the pole that holds up the porch roof. Needs to look fresh and more substantial.

Get a new storm door, or remove it and live without one. Make sure the front door is freshly painted with a fun, complementary color of your choice.

Landscaping is sorely needed here. Add a bed of soft plantings along the front of the house, under the window.

Refinish the bench. Maybe make it match the front door.

Consider adding a long planter box that runs along the front of the porch/patio. Will add color and help the patio/porch feel less exposed.

Pave or repave driveway.

Brand new, beautiful mailbox.

Hang an appropriately-sized light fixture on the wall to the right of the door.

Get new house numbers and put them somewhere besides the storm door.

Could you use a light fixture on the wall next to the garage door?

Flower boxes in the summer might be nice.

Plant a small, ornamental tree in the front yard.

Pavers or tile on the front patio/porch.
  • Kayla Wenzel
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Wow! Thanks. I havent even though of details like the mail box and numbers and I love the long planter idea! The foundation is about to be repaired and the roof redone then we will be redoing the driveway and coverting the garage into a den. I would like to have windows where the garage is but my husband isnt convinced. I really feel compelled to paint the house an unconventional color but I dont want it to be tacky. I was thinking about adding shutters too.