Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cluelessincolorado

Heartbroken...

cluelessincolorado
11 years ago

This is off topic but today has been a very sad day for my family and my kitchen feels very empty. Our beautiful 2 year old Golden Iris died today. She was having a great day running around the yard, came to my feet and lay down and died. It was so shocking and sudden and the family was there. I almost can't stand to be in the kitchen knowing that she isn't on guard for any falling treats. She kept me sane (mostly) and laughing through the renovation and every worker who came in wanted to take her home. Give all your pets an extra pat/kiss tonight!

Comments (86)

• hlove
    11 years ago

I'm so sorry for your loss. Here's to all of the wonderful happy memories you must have of your sweet, sweet companion.

• j_bird
    11 years ago

I'm hurting for you too. Our lives are made so much better by the dogs that share their love with us. Losing one young and suddenly is so painful and confusing. It's been nearly three years since our Laika left too soon and I doubt we'll ever be totally over it. Time does soften the pain and sweeten the good memories though. Puppy hugs from Rocky, Coco, and Chuck.

• eriepatch
    11 years ago

I have no words besides the ones already said by others.
    My heart breaks for you.

• bellajourney
    11 years ago

Oh my goodness, I am so very sorry for your loss. What a beauty Iris was (and much too young). Sending you lots of hugs and prayers.

• chicagoans
    11 years ago

I'm so, so sorry. She was beautiful and I'm sure a loving companion. I hope it helps to know that she had a very special fun day and was happy.

• gardenpixie
    11 years ago

So very sorry for your loss. Two years is way too soon! I felt cheated when my Jacqui did not make it to ten, so I can't imagine how you must feel. She had the best life a furry child can have, if it is any consolation.

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

I'm so sorry for your sudden loss. Iris was a real beauty and it sounds like she had a sweet personality. Everyone who has had a beloved pet knows how you feel, it is so sad, especially since she was so young. Hang in there. I'm thinking about you and your girl.

Bee

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

I am so incredibly sorry for your loss. Iris sounds like she had a wonderful loving family and no words from a stranger can truly comfort such a sadness. I hope the sadness and loss you feel will with time be soothed by the wonderful memories you have of Iris. I am truly sorry for your loss and my thoughts are with you and your family.

• sayde
    11 years ago

So, so sorry. What a terrible loss, and what a horrible shock. My heart just goes out to you.

As others have said, we're all strangers here in the ether. But try to imagine all of us who have responded-- nearly fifty -- standing together in a room, sending you thoughts of comfort and empathy.

• iroll_gw
    11 years ago

My heart goes out to you and your family. There's just no love like a dog's love. I'm sending you a hug from NY.

• littlealexa
    11 years ago

I am so, so sorry for your loss, such a beauty. I had to put down a beautiful doby that was 3 years old in Dec., she ate something and it got caught in her intestines.

Losing a pet is shocking, my heart goes out to you

• dseng
    11 years ago

Very sorry to read of your loss of your beautiful young dog. They are part of our families, and their loss, especially such a sudden and unexpected loss, is difficult. Your heart will mend in time and her memories will once again bring joy and smiles.

Dave

• Yvonne B
    11 years ago

I'm so, so sorry. She was beautiful!!

• yeonasky
    11 years ago

So very sorry to read of your loss. I look at my Golden, Leah and my heart wrenches at the mere thought of her loss. I could not even imagine what you're going through. My best to you and your family.

Yeona

• sarahhomeremodel
    11 years ago

I'm so so sorry for your loss. My dog is my angel and he's 4 and I can't imagine losing him ever, much less at such a young age. It really is like losing a child. I'm heartbroken for you. She had such a beautiful, sweet face.

• carp123
    11 years ago

I strongly believe dogs have souls...and I know she is still with you.
    RIP Iris.

• cluelessincolorado
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all so much for your words of support and sympathy and for the feelings of empathy. It really does mean so much to me and I can really feel these as strange as it sounds. If we're all strangers, we do know a little bit about each other through this wonderful site, and for the reason that we are all connected by our capacity to love and grieve. We don't know what happened, but she did have a wellness check the day before, got a clean bill of health, a negative heartworm test and a nasal Bordetella vaccine. I am so fearful that her necropsy will show something that is our fault and if its the vaccine I'll have a hard time living with myself. Even if we find out it doesn't change the fact that she wasn't at the foot of my bed this morning and won't be walking to school to pick up my two children who are devastated. They just got over the sudden loss of a young cat 5 weeks after we got Iris and were able to do so well because of the beautiful soul that entered our lives. She was really a special dog and I'm going to miss her so much. Thank you again.

Amy

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

She was a beautiful dog. I am so sorry for your loss.

• pentimento
    11 years ago

My heart goes out to you and your family for the loss of your beautiful dog Iris. It's just so sad, especially since it was so unexpected and she was so young. It's clear you loved her. Hugs for you...

• sprtphntc7a
    11 years ago

So sorry for your loss, she was definitely too young.

What a beauty she was. Goldens are awesome dogs, just so full of love and always want to please.

Thoughts and hugs to you and your family..

• pirula
    11 years ago

I am so sorry, my deepest condolences. As a golden "owner" and several pets besides. Having lived through deaths both unexpected and overdue, my heart goes out to you and your sweet darling girl.....

all love,
    Ivette

• Rainwood
    11 years ago

I am so, so sorry. What a terrible shock for the whole family. She looks like such a sweetheart in those photos.

• blfenton
    11 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss. Pets are so very special and have a special place in our lives. A place that is difficult to explain and it is so hard to understand when they are taken from us. My thoughts are with you and your family.

• aa62579
    11 years ago

Very sorry for your loss. We lost our boxer last year to a hemangio sarcoma. Although his was subcutaneous and I was given a few final weeks with him, most are not. They are found on the heart or spleen and the dogs live basically a happy, healthy life right up until the end when death is almost sudden. As terrible is cancer is, when I reflected on it, I took solace in knowing that he was happy until the end. There are many medical reasons for "sudden" deaths, so please do not beat yourself up over it.

• colorfast
    11 years ago

CColorado...
    I was a senior in high school when we found our beautiful shepherd/lab mix dead. She was six years old. It also was out of the blue. I wish I had words of wisdom, but all I can say is that I know she loved your family like crazy.

• yellowdog2
    11 years ago

My heart is so heavy for you. I can only offer my condolences and say how sorry I am, but I am sure it doesn't do much to ease the pain. What a beautiful dog. I am so sorry for you and your family. Hugs.

• westsider40
    11 years ago

So sorry that your sweet puppy died, and so unexpectedly. We all know that awful feeling of loss. Iris was very beautiful and had soulful eyes.

• Kat3kits
    11 years ago

Dear Amy,
    It's so hard to lose our furry friends. And even harder to see the children grieve....Feeling sad with you tonight.

• joyce_6333
    11 years ago

So sorry to hear of your loss. We've lost both our pets in the last year and a half, and I miss them so much. Just this past weekend, I commented to my husband about how I miss the girls running to greet us when we drove in the garage.

• mindstorm
    11 years ago

CinColo,

I am so very sorry for your sudden and unexpected loss. Iris was beautiful and, from your heart-break, was a beautiful soul. That beautiful face! That gorgeous coat! And those earnest eyes!
    I want to cry for you also but do take comfort in that she was bounding around till the end and that she loved and was loved by you.

Great big hugs to you at this time.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Clueless - I am so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful dog.

• poohpup
    11 years ago

I'm so sorry for your loss. Our beloved pets leave such a huge hole in our hearts when they leave us. One day you'll be able to remember your beloved furface without melting into tears, but it takes time. What a lucky pup to have been so loved and how lucky you were to have her in your life.

We lost our beloved Dalmatian almost six years ago. It took us some time to bring a new dog into our lives. Now I realize that every dog we bring into our lives will be because of sweet Crystal pup. We honor her memory by loving all the dogs who will come after her. (((HUGS)))

• farmhousebound
    11 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss--may the memories you made with Iris comfort you in the coming days and one day your tears will be replaced by smiles as you remember her.

DH and I volunteer alot w/ dog transport of all breeds, but our hearts are taken by our goldens and I know how hard it is to lose one as we take in the senior gold that for whatever reason have gone into rescue. The only other forum I belong to is "The Golden Retriever Forum" (or GRF); you may want to visit as you may find some clue as to what happened to your beautiful girl - http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/. I know you will find many, many golden lovers who can also share in your pain.

• PRO
    Heritage Chrome
    11 years ago

O.M.G. I literally burst into tears as I read your post. For your broken heart and for how closely it mimics what has just happened to us! I'm so sorry for your loss. Such a beautiful sweet dog.
    My kitchen reno will forever be affected by my own dog having a seizure last Thursday night. I found her in the torn-apart kitchen disoriented and lost. I'm so so sorry.

• flwrs_n_co
    11 years ago

Oh Clueless, I'm so sorry to hear about Iris! Iris was a wonderful dog who loved your and your family with all her heart and you and your family loved her back. You gave her a wonderful life, and she's watching you from heaven wishing she could console you--Goldens do that so well. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

• scootermom
    11 years ago

There's nothing like a Golden - they are so beautiful and so full of love and life. I'm so sorry for the loss of your sweet Iris. What a gorgeous doggie face. I'm sure you'll remember her always.

• momfromthenorth
    11 years ago

Clueless, I'm not on here very often but I too read about your loss with shock. Such a beautiful, kind-looking sweetheart. We have one 2 years older who looks almost exactly like her and she has been the best dog ever!

I will tell you this - when we had ours vaccinated in March, hours later she was breathing rapidly and heavily. It was worrisome enough that I called the vet and ended up giving her a Benedryl tablet and doggie prednisone that I happened to have on hand. About an hour later her breathing calmed down to normal and she finally fell asleep.

Next year, when vaccination time rolls around, we are going to break them up so we can figure out WHICH ONE caused her reaction. It really scared me!! YOu can't blame yourself for something like that - if that's what happened. How would anyone know they are going to have a reaction?

My daughter's cat had an unexpected reaction to her vaccine a few years ago - again I ended up having to give her benedryl and the vet told us after that to keep her inside and no more vaccines for her. So there is "something" about that process - I don't know if it is because they try to give them everything at once or what but we aren't doing that again.

My heart aches for you and your family. I hope you find another sweetie like her, when the time is right.

• schmaltzy
    11 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss.
    Pets have a way of teaching us to cherish every moment, good and bad. I have found myself missing the stinky breath of a beloved dog on more than 1 occasion.
    Please know that whatever the cause of her death, Iris was happy right up to the end. She was happy because of you and your wonderful family. You were lucky to have each other.
    It still sucks.

beth

• Debbi Branka
    11 years ago

Amy, I'm so, so sorry for your loss. We have 3 Chihuahuas who are my babies. They are getting up in age and I fear and dread the days that I will lose them. I can't imagine to have it so suddenly and when she was so young. I'm sorry for your heartbreak.

• prill
    11 years ago

Clueless, what a beautiful pup. I'm so sorry for your loss.
    I know how very difficult it is to lose a pet and it's so hard on our children.
    My heart goes out to you and your family.
    Priscilla

• kashmi
    11 years ago

CluelessInCo: I'm so sorry. Looking at those pictures of Iris, it's clear why she found her way into your hearts -- and also why the thread's title is sadly so appropriate. Those of us with dogs understand and grieve with you. That doesn't make things any easier -- and certainly not any better. We're all shedding a tear with you and, as you suggested, hugging our dogs a little tighter.

• cluelessincolorado
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all so much again for your stories and good thoughts. This has been a very tough week, but we muddled through. Red eyes and all. Her necropsy didn't show anything abnormal so I guess we'll never know why, arrhythmia is the best guess. My brain would like to know so I could put it in a compartment and file it away, but it's not to be. I am going to have gratitude for her time with us and accept her for the beautiful two year gift that she was. You were all special to take time to write and I have read each entry multiple times.

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

Thank you for letting us know. I'd been wondering, but I wasn't going to ask if you didn't say.

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

The expression on your Iris's face in the left photo is incredible. So much emotion there. She is obviously a very sensitive and emotionally responsive dog. I'm so sorry for your loss. If you would like a very good book to read while you sort through your feelings I recommend the chapter on grief in the book The Nature of Animal Healing written by Martin Goldstein. If it's meant to be we do meet our friends again, in this life. Wishing you only the best at this time.

• MamaCassey
    11 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss. I have 2 goldens and my heart aches for you and your family. Sending you hugs and thoughts... Take care.

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

I am so sorry you didn't get an answer as you hoped you would. No need to think it was anything you did, or any choices you made. You are human and you did the absolute best you could. I understand your frustration and I understand that hole in your heart you have now.

We had to put our 18 year old cockapoo down before we put our house up for sale. We knew she could never have handled it, and she was at that point where, well, it was time. That was back in August. Even though I still have an 8 year old cockapoo here, it's not the same. My Maddie was the best dog I ever have been blessed with and I'm sure there won't be another one like her, ever.

As many of us have gone through it, we know how much you heart aches. I'm trying to find something positive in this for you besides the fact that she brought you so much joy. It was a blessing for her that you were home when it happened. I'm sure that gave her some sort of comfort to have her mom with her.

many more hugs to you.
    Bee

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

cluelessincolorado, I am so sorry for your loss of your baby at much too young of an age from an unknown cause. You loved her and did all you could. So sorry you will never know the cause but just know that she loved you and knew how much she was loved. I know the pain of losing my Skeeter since I still cry for him and is has been a little more than 4.5 months. Sending you comforting and understanding cyber hugs.

• ppbenn
    11 years ago

Oh SO SAD, she is a beautiful dog, her happy life was much to short.
    My heart goes out to you losing a family member. It's been two years since we lost both our dogs in three months. Both died in my arms and were not put down -I still cry.
    There will be another dog for you who deserves love and a home- maybe not when your heart is raw but in time...In memory of Iris.

• finestra
    11 years ago

So sorry Clueless.

• catlover5
    11 years ago

Clueless, I am so sorry for your devastating loss . . the pain and sadness you are feeling. I have lost two pets, an older one (recently) who battled cancer for nearly five months and crawled into bed on her last night to be with us and our "Kitten" a few years ago at only 2-1/2 who had a congenital heart defect and was gone in a day and a half. The loss of Kitten has been devastating to us and we still feel cheated. We used to tell everyone that we bought our house so we could keep this baby kitten who only let us catch her after 3 hours of exhaustive efforts on our part. My husband ruined his dress uniform but it was I who dove into the thorny rose bush and was able to grab her finally. She touched us greatly in that short period of time she was with us. Even though we still had 2 adult cats and our adult dog, our baby was gone and the house seemed so empty. There are just no words . . . I would say Iris was lucky to have you but we know we are the lucky ones to have them. I am truly sorry.