Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lithigin

Sad news. Vent hood is way too high.

lithigin
12 years ago

I have a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach about this.

I came home from work and my beautiful Broan Evolution QP3330SS is installed, the ductwork is run through the cabinet above, and all looks good. Except that it is insanely high. 34" above the range top. And we're talking a 38-39" high range, since we will have ~38" finished height counters. DH and I are both 6'+ and can reach the controls, but I squatted down to mimic more typical height people and they could not reach the controls. Plus you're looking directly up into halogens and baffles.

I think what happened is that I measured for 30" height, the cab designer used her program to put a 12" cabinet above there (she mentioned that many hoods are ~9" tall), and when I picked the Evolution, I didn't take into account that it is only 7" tall. Even if I had, we'd still have 32" of height. So I don't know if her program mis-measured or what, but I double-checked all measurements but this one, and here we are.

Additionally, the hood sticks so much further out than OTRs and other crappy hoods we've had in the past that we can barely reach our arm over the front edge of the hood to even touch the cabinet doors, let alone use the cabinet. I have always kept baking stuff above ranges and now am regretting even having spent a few hundred on a cabinet up there! I bought it because it's a great hood and I'm sure it's deep in order to be great, but I didn't expect it to stick out so far.

My GC is coming back on Saturday to do some more stuff, so I'll talk to him about what our options are. DH suggested returning the hood (I think GC threw the box away; it's not in the garage) and buying a taller one. Even if we found a 9" one, I think 32" above a 38" range is too high. I'm hoping that he can uninstall it, add another 4" of ductwork, then put a filler piece up there and reinstall the hood. We'll still have a nearly unusable upper cabinet that was a waste, but we all need storage for cookie cutters and rarely used stuff, right? *sigh*

Thanks for letting me sad-vent. DH isn't mad, and he doesn't think it looks as ridiculous as I do. But c'mon, the hood starts 6' above the floor! Go ahead, you can laugh a little.

In related news, since we can't find the manual yet, does another Broan Evolution owner know how or if you can turn off the automatic night light? It's cool that it activates automatically when the room is dark, but I'd sure like to turn it off at night.

Here is a link that might be useful: pretty Broan hood

Comments (14)

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

It also looks as if this hood is meant to have the top of the hood mounted at about 30, not the bottom, with the canopy at about 24" above the cooktop, which would put it at 62" above the floor. Why not get a taller cabinet? maybe you can split the cost with the KD since s/he also designed for a hood that was taller, not the one you selected.

• summersucks
    12 years ago

ours is really high. my dh wanted it that way. he's over 6' and didn't want to constantly bash his head. I'm really short and I can reach everything just fine. I don't think it looks ridiculous.

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

But, you don't usually bash your head when it is lower than your head, only when it is forehead height. You may be more likely to hit your head on one that its six feet if you are 6'2 because it is above eye level, than one that is lower and in front of you.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I always thought a vent should be more than 30" above the burner tops. How high do you think yours should be? Ours is 29" and I want it raised. The installers put it in where it is because they did not realize my stove was too low. When we raised the stove, the vent became too low.
    I am curious as to how high yours should be ideally. I thought one worked with how high off the burner tops and not how high off the floor. 34" sounded reasonable to me. Perhaps since ours is a large style island hood, there may be a difference.

• summersucks
    12 years ago

yeah, I thought we were on the high range but not way over or anything like that. Also, it was my dh's preference and he felt strongly about it, since I got to make a lot of the other choices and he's the cook, it's high. :o)

• mydreamhome
    12 years ago

I think this was the hood we replaced our old one with when it died. Yes, like you I thought it stuck out very far. But we eventually got used to the look. Understandable, afterall we were used to looking at the old hood for 10 years. It's bound to take a little time to get used to the new one. You may want to consider posting pics to see what others think about the height and depth who aren't used to seeing your kitchen everyday.

I've included a link to the Broan Hood owner's manual for that model that explains how to turn off the night light or "ambient light sensor" as they call it. See page 3.

I hope the GC can arrange an easy fix for you! Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Broan Hood Manual

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

Vent hoods are mounted at various heights depending upon the power of the hood and the cooktop fuel.

Some hoods are designed to be mounted as low as 18" over the cooktop (electric cooktops) which puts the bottom of the hood even with the bottom of a typical cabinet line; or 24" over the cooktop (gas cooktops). Capture will not be good if it is mounted too high, and not designed for it

Larger or more powerful hoods such as island hoods can be 30" above or higher. There is now a hood that can be mounted 48"-60" over the cooktop, which is flat in the soffit or in the ceiling. To compensate for the distance it is also 54" wide.

• ncamy
    12 years ago

Like palimpsest said, the installation instructions say that the top of the hood should be 24-30 inches above the cooking surface. So, yes, yours is installed way too high. In fact it is installed so high that it will probably not function the way it is supposed to. I think you'll want to change it. Changing out the cabinets above it is a good idea.

• farmgirlinky
    12 years ago

Rangecraft recommends hood heights up to 36" from the range top, as I recall. This might depend on how far out the hood extends over the top of your range -- ours is recessed only a couple of inches from the front of our range, and if it had been hung at 30" we would be driven crazy by it, and we are about 5'8" tall in this household. The hood functions perfectly at 36" from the range top. And I guess that is the question: is your hood functioning as it should? If you are comfortable operating the controls and don't feel as though the thing is looming too close to your head or in your line of vision, I woudn't worry about it. Is it really hard to reach the controls? Maybe there's something I'm missing about the Broan hood.
    lynn

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

What you're missing is that the specs say it recommended that the TOP of this hood be mounted at 30" leaving the bottom at around 23" above the cooking surface.

This hood moves 100 CFM on low speed and up to 450 on power boost. Rangecraft's low speed is 6x on average what the low speed of this hood is, and high speed is about 3x. That's why your Rangecraft works at that height and this one probably won't. It's fine to have a hood that high *if that's where its meant to be.

Its kind of useless to give advice based upon experience with a product thats completely different, don't you think?

• asheavenue
    12 years ago

I don't know if this means anything to you or not, but the standard for hood height in the restaurant industry is 6'6" from the finished floor, or ~42" above the rangetop. I have a 60"x36" commercial hood above my 48" Bluestar at this height, and it looks right to me.

• farmgirlinky
    12 years ago

Hi,palimpsest, you are absolutely right, and I apologize -- was not my intention to be kind of useless, though

lynn

• Madeline616
    12 years ago

Palimpsest- Sending you an email as well, but I'd love to know if you could share the brand/model of the hood that's designed to be mounted so high. My current hood is 58" above the range top. Im replacing it, and I *really* don't want to lower it.

Thanks!!