Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
semi_gw

$100 Disposer Stopper say it isn't so! Plus ? about Faucet Direct

semi
13 years ago

Hi All,

I am getting ready to order my plumbing fixtures (three baths and a kitchen) from Faucets Direct. Any reason why I shouldn't order it all from them? Should I break my order down and get what I need when I need it or just order it all now since I have space in my empty house to store it?

Also, please tell me I don't need a $100 stopper for my new disposer? I am getting a Shaw Sink and the stopper is $100!!!

Semi:

Comments (21)

• grlwprls
    13 years ago

I ordered twice now from Faucet Direct and I've been very happy both times. I ordered my Shaw's sink and Herbeau tap last summer, and now that I'm actually finishing my house, I ordered all the plumbing trim and most of the fixtures (save the tubs) from FD. I'm in LA, ordered on Monday, and things began arriving yesterday. Since I have so many things, I am checking them off the master list since the items do not ship at once from a centralized warehouse.

My extended flange for my Shaw's was $213 (Inca Brass) if that makes you feel better :-)

• semi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks grlwprls, I too have to get that extended flange. So that I'm ok with. It is just the extra $92.25 for the stopper that makes my eyes roll!!!

I think I am going to order my tubs from FD also! They beat the price of my local showroom by $55!

• marmoreus
    13 years ago

Just a reminder that if you don't care that it doesn't say Rohl on it, you can save money and get this extended flange.

Here is a link that might be useful: extended flange

• semi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Marmoreus,

The extended flange (ISE10082) was one recommended to me to use with the Shaw's sink. Did you use the less costly flange (ISE FLGSSLG) successfully in your sink? I can't find a spec sheet for the product you listed so I can't compare it perfectly.

If it works, I am thankful to save the money!

• allnewappliances
    13 years ago

I am getting the Rohl farmhouse sink too, but when I look up the Rohl flange it says it is not compatable with the insinkerator garbage disposal....does anyone know if this is true?

Thanks.
    BTW - I'l also buying alot of my items on FD!

• shelly_k
    13 years ago

I've ordered several times from FD and I've been very happy with them!

• grlwprls
    13 years ago

Amberley had quite a go 'round with her Rohl and I swear a Waste King. The Rohl flange, on Faucet Direct, says it's compatible with ISE and other 3 bolt compact disposals like Kitchen Aid and Whirlpool. What that means I don't know. All I know is that I've ordered a compact Insinkerator Evolution with an airswitch - and I had to pay $20 more to get a black button for my soapstone counters! The airswitch kit comes with white and chrome, but not black.

• marmoreus
    13 years ago

I can't find the old GW threads where this was discussed, but I know people have used the Insinkerator extended flange with their Shaw sinks. Mine hasn't been installed yet (the sink has been but not the rest of the plumbing) so I can't tell you yet for sure. Hopefully within a week or two I'll know. I did measure the Insinkerator flange and it is 2 1/2 inches just like the Rohl one.

• semi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I do know I need to purchase an extended flange. My question now is to Mamoreus if the ISE part brought up in the reply above really does work. If it does, this part is very much less expensive than the other ISE part that is recommended to go with the Shaw sink.

So do I buy the $100+ extended flange or do I buy the cheaper part?

Also, regarding my original question, do I have to purchase a $100 sink stopper or do cheaper models work fine? $100 for a stopper seems ridiculous!

Semi:

• allnewappliances
    13 years ago

what is the difference between a regular flange and a extended flange? I am getting the 30 inch Rohl farmhouse sink, an insinkerator garbage disposal and need a flange and air switch.
    I am getting an oil rubbed bronze faucet and hot water dispenser, so wanted the air switch to be this finish too, but I don't think Insinkerator makes on in oil rubbed bronze, so was thinking the black one would do. Also the flange - I assume I should get white b/c I can't do stainless steel since faucet is ORB.....
    Thanks.

• semi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I was told to purchase ISE10082 (check on Faucet Direct.com) an extended flange for my Shaw sink and ISE disposer. So I was set to purchase that part ($146) but another poster mentioned a part that is only $64 (and cheaper when you look around for it on line). So I want to make sure that part works before I make a mistake.

Also that ISE part comes in something like 10 finishes, I bet some one of them will appeal to you.

• allnewappliances
    13 years ago

Thanks Semi - let me know what you find out, since it seems like we have similar items (Shaw sink, ISE disposer) and need flange and air switch

• User
    13 years ago

I think this is the thread marmoreus was talking about.

Here is a link that might be useful: I. Am. Going. To. Lose. My. Mind.

• marmoreus
    13 years ago

I was actually referring to threads from awhile back (that have probably dropped off the boards by now) where people mentioned that the Insinkerator extended flange could be used in a Shaw sink instead of the overpriced Rohl flange. I will know for sure in a week or so.

I also forgot to add that I have been very happy ordering from Faucet Direct.

• weedmeister
    13 years ago

The bottom of the farmhouse sink is thicker than a normal stainless sink. This means a normal flange will not be long enough to attach a disposal or drain. So you need an extended (somewhat longer) flange. The ones for disposals will have a set of bumps or a rim at the bottom that gives the disposals something to grab a hold of for mounting.

• semi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

But without specs on the one marmoreus mentions, I can't buy it. I have to go with the $100 more expensive one!

I'll call ISE tomorrow to see if I can figure it out.

Goodness, the lengths and breaths I go to in order to save a buck!

• allnewappliances
    13 years ago

Thanks Weedmeister! Semi, have you tried posting questions to FD - I posted a question about a finish on one of their products and they got back to me within about 6 hours.

I put together a spreadsheet of everything I could buy from Faucet direct vs. my Kitchen and bathroom store, and surprising the price differences were split - some things cheaper at my kitchen/bathroom store and some were cheaper at FD....for example, the Shaw farmhouse sink was $120 cheaper at the kitchen/bathroom store, but the disposal was $100 cheaper at FD...go figure!!

• allnewappliances
    13 years ago

so what extended flange did everyone end up buying for their Shaw sink? I bought the InsinkErator one but it's in stainless steel and my faucet and hot water dispenser is in oil rubbed bronze so I'd like the flange to match.....but I can't see spending the money that the Rohl orb costs!!

• Buehl
    13 years ago

Be careful about using ORB finishes inside your sink. There have been threads here in the past about ORB finishes wearing away over a short time or being ruined using sink cleansers. I recommend sticking with SS for drains, flanges, etc. (BTW...brushed nickel can also be damaged by cleaning agents...BarKeepers Friend and bleach, for starters. The BKF has been posted here a couple of times at least; the bleach I found out about first-hand *sigh*)

I know my InSinkerator Septic Assist came w/a cover, so there shouldn't be a need to buy a separate one unless you want to. I admit I did buy a Kohler one in brushed SS to match the brushed SS DuoStrainer in the other bowl of my sink, but I didn't need to.

• allnewappliances
    13 years ago

Thanks Buehl....I had also heard about hard water (which I have) can do damage to ORB and to make sure I wipe down my faucets frequently if it has water spots on it.

My Insinkerator did come with a flange, but I needed the extended one for my Shaw sink.

Thanks for the advice!!

• amberley
    13 years ago

I was the one that had the major issues with all the pieces working together. I haven't been on GW in awhile, and missed this thread. I started the "Lose my Mind" thread about it.

Long story short: YES you can use the ISE OR the Rohl extended flange with the Shaw sink. They are EXACTLY the same in design (I bought both- don't ask). I used the Rohl because the finish was real chrome (to match my faucet) which the ISE is a "polished" stainless steel. The color isn't really the same, and the ISE has the logo on the rim.

I originally purchased a Waste King. This DID not fit with the sink/extended flange, even though thier website says it does. DON't get it. It will not fit. I bought the ISE Evolution (1 HP- the top of the line for ISE). I have been very happy with it.

BTW- anyone want the above mentioned ISE extended flange- super cheap? I tried to sell it on Ebay, but is such a specialized part.

Hope that helps!!