Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
billycee

help with backsplash for my little kitchen

12 years ago

i have narrowed down to the taupe color or blue colored glass, i'm a dude and have not good decorating

i like the blue but have nothing elese blue in there maybe can get some accent stuff?

put i guess the taupe would go better

any other suggestions on something else or any input? thanx

{{!gwi}}

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comments (150)

• 12 years ago

Isn't this marcydc's backsplash?

No way does that go with your granite as I am seeing the colors on my monitor. You have warm rosy tones, the crema marfil is more golden or beigy.

The only reason I'm not outright strong-arming you to get the Porcelanosa is that I can't confirm through a computer that the colors work. You might find a better match. (Although in one pic it almost looks like it also coordinates with your couch!)

But I do think that going plainer and more "conservative" would be very wrongheaded for your kitchen. You need some interest in there, or it's going to look very "builder." Of course, generally I'm not a fan of fear-based decorating.

• 12 years ago

Yeah, that is mine. It actually does have a little rosiness in that the veins are reddish, but I don't think it goes well either. I think it would be too close to the granite trinity has and would probably give you that "somethings slightly off here" feeling.

Marcolo's does read more masculine I think. That may be good, since you're a "dude". Maybe not :) You may prefer rosy.

You also haven't said if this "little kitchen" is your forever house, a bachelor pad, or if someone else in your life has an opinion ;)

• 12 years ago

yes this is the 2nd fl bachelor pad apt in my house ..i will be here for a while....=)

i rather not accent the rosy...honestly i only see that in certain light other times it comes up brown/beigy but the morphing browns in the marcolo seems to catch it nice

• 12 years ago

Another vote for the Marcolo tile. I think the pizzazz of that tile will be the star and keep your kitchen from being nice-but-blah.

• 12 years ago

well i think i'm gonna put this to bed and order the marcolo tile tomorrow....when i get it i'm going to mock up most of it ...if i dont like it, it wont get installed permanent, its not all that expensive and i'm willing to gamble i'm gonna like it :) because of the photoshop pic

i dont think i want to put this behind the stove thou....would it be bad to maybe either do a a sheet of stainless or even one of those 13x40 line crema behind the stove? i dont want a major tile install because what if i ever have to replace the microwave?

• 12 years ago

I would put this same tile in the exposed area between stove and micro. No need to tile behind the stove unless that area is visible. I would buy some extra tile in case you ever change the microwave or stove. We recently added on to a tiled backsplash we installed next to our cooktop 20 years ago. Fortunately we had some left over tiles from that job so were able to add the new part. It looks seamless with the old section. Even though you don't plan to be working in this kitchen for 20 years, having some extra tile isn't a bad idea.

• 12 years ago

Stainless sheet behind the stove. You could try taping up the Porcelanosa when you have it, but I think it'll look random there. Don't add any other type of tile. Stainless will have that entire corner-range, micro, fridge-read as a stainless unit.

• 12 years ago

Thinking about your space I came back to change my mind, and see that marcolo's way ahead of me. Ignore my prior opinion. I'd go with the tile only along that one counter run.

• 12 years ago

well i pick up the stainless tomorrow they're cutting it down

and tiles is ordered.....134.00 shippped for 13 sq ft, grout and tube of matching caulk .that seems so crazy cheap, dealing with that company direct was great

like i said i'll mock it up if it dont look right i'm out 134.00...i thought i was gonna spend at least %500 or $700 anyway :)

• 12 years ago

Great choice, looking forward to see the end result!

• 12 years ago

well the marcolo tile is being installed this afternoon...will post pics when ready

• 12 years ago

I will be hiding under my desk until someone tells me it's OK to come out.

I do think it will be great. Don't forget no matter what, you can't really judge the final product until it's grouted.

• 12 years ago

I've been lurking on this thread and secretly supporting the "Marcolo tile", as it has become known as. lol I think this is going to look great - it is such an interesting and unique tile! I love those patterned tiles and the touch of blue is perfect for you.

As someone else said, this thread also represents the best of what GW or a decorating forum can offer. People from all over coming together to tackle a dilemma in a way that is true for the OP and their process while bringing out the potential of a room. It's really quite something.

I think we are going to be pulling Marcolo out from under that desk amidst the celebratory sound of corks popping out of champagne bottles by the end of the day while trinity gazes lovingly at his fabulous backsplash.

How exciting - I cannot wait for this unveiling!

• 12 years ago

i had almost the whole bs covered with the marcolo tile since fri... as u can see it didnt take me long to be convinced......the main problem was grout after buying 3 bags i decided to stop the there and go with mapaei biscuit
    i can probably get a better color but enough is enough! i'll spend more in test grout bags than then the tile!
    and if u havent heard it before ....forget those the samples they give they are useless

• 12 years ago

Looking forward to the REVEAL!

• 12 years ago

just an update, all the tile is installed and it looks fantaastic and its not grouted yet. I mean it looks like this tile was made just for this room.....I got a good idea with what I had up and and with Dutchaccent's photoshop but the full thing really looks stunning!

they will be grouting tomorrow,will post pics when complete, hopefully my grout choice dont mess it up! ;p

• 12 years ago

Getting a crick in the neck under the desk, here.

Hurry up.

• 12 years ago

LOL marcolo

• 12 years ago

I'm looking forward to seeing the results!

• 12 years ago

He did say "tomorrow". You can probably crawl out from under there for the night :)

This thread is sure to hit the limit in posts with the cries of fabulous tomorrow!

• 12 years ago

Okay, well, I popped over as I hurriedly pack bags and clean up before flying out tonight - champagne bottles in hand! So, I am leaving the champagne for the celebration tomorrow. Won't be here, but will be in spirit.

How great is it that it looks like perfection ungrouted? Stunning is such a very, very good word! Congratulations!

• 12 years ago

Every time I see this thread pop up again, I rush to the bottom hoping to see pictures! Ditto on the hurry up! ;)

• 12 years ago

We're waiting.....

• 12 years ago

OMG I pulled the plug on the grout at the last minute ...the great thing with this tile is I can grout a spare piece because its connected.I have been looking at the biscuit grout that I did on piece and its just to whitish and really seemed overpowering to me ...so this afternoon I've been jerking around with differnt colors, I was able to make a nice beige from some brown and the buscuit grouts.
    My guy is coming back possibly tomorrow but more likely Saturday to grout. :(

I cant stress enough to people that u better test the grout before u put it in and let it sit a day or so..put a few spare tiles together or something and grout them...the biscuit got lighter a day later!

• 12 years ago

Well put up a G**-d*** picture of the ungrouted tile, for *****sakes!!! Before I run out of *******-******* asterisks!!

• 12 years ago

Ok u cant even tell its NOT grouted anyway!IMO the pics really dont do it justice but it still looks good, at least to me.

I want to thanx everyone here for helping me!!

The only thing that is bothering me slightly is we have a bit of a brown concentration and similarity in the middle, I should have inverted a tile a differnt way, I am debating whether to have him rip the one one out and flip it over.I'm curios if any of u would have picked up on it if I didnt say aything or do u think I'm really getting nuts now????? :)

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• 12 years ago

It looks just great! The bit of "brown concentration" is fine, and is just part of the random look of the layout. Don't do a thing (except grout it, of course). I'm so glad you decided to go with this tile.

• 12 years ago

It's not grouted??? You could have fooled me! It looks fabulous! And I don't even notice the "brown concentration" you refer to... That tile really pulls all your elements together. Love it!

• 12 years ago

YES!

• 12 years ago

I like it too! It will even look better with the grout.

• 12 years ago

That BS is what your kitchen needed. It looks great!

• 12 years ago

Awesome. :) Don't touch a thing; you're just hyper-focused on it right now.

• 12 years ago

WOW! This is soooo perfect, it must thrill you to see it each time you walk in the kitchen!

Congrats!

• 12 years ago

You know what is so cool is the way YOU like it, and how happy YOU are with it. I like how you say "looks like this tile was made for this room!" Your enthusiasm through this whole process (and all 120 ++ postings of support) has been wonderful to follow.

I am so happy you are pleased and thrilled with your choice! I think it is PERFECT! Good for you!

• 12 years ago

I would have never got this if was not for this site, and of course a special thanx to ellendi, marcolo who now has a tile named after him, the Porcelanosa Marcolo Dados Crema ! and the whole garden web crew! You all have great eyes!

Even when I first got it I was iffy on it but but you guys made me able to look at it differntly and the dutchaccent photoshop helped tremendously that guy should open a business for that!!!

• 12 years ago

Looks great!

• 12 years ago

I really like it. Good job, all.

• 12 years ago

Whoo hoo! That is one stunning tile. And how great is it that it's got such a reasonable price?

I'll go ahead and say it: It looks made for your kitchen!!

(If you're still rounding up grout tests, try a bit of the Lilac color in the mix. Sounds awful but it really helped us when we were tiling a friend's bath with a gray-brown tile. It eliminates any underlying tan tones that might clash.)

• 12 years ago

While everyone's swooning over the tile, I'll point out that the stainless sheet above the stove works really well too.

• 12 years ago

I have to admit in the beginning I was a little embarrassed to ask for help on here because I was seeing all these really outrageous kitchens.I thought no one would even wanna bother with this little kitchen but I was pleasently surpised!

o BTW is also matches the couch perfectly =)

• 12 years ago

Yeah, this was really worth the wait, what a gorgeous backsplash!

• 12 years ago

I just read your update (been out of the loop with demo) BUT when I saw it I did a yippee dance for you and got those "that's just perfect goosebumps!" Well done:)

• 12 years ago

That's what we are about trinity, all kitchens big or small! Congrats and can't wait for the grout!

• 12 years ago

Just found this thread...LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your backsplash.
    I went to the Porcelanosa site to try and find it, but couldn't see it there. Do you by any chance remember the name?
    Remember, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Hope you don't mind if I use the same tile?

• 12 years ago

Pure awesomeness, "dude." :)

• 12 years ago

Hooray! I'm so glad to see this! Your backsplash looks great and it was a great thread! Thanks for sharing the evolution and thanks for not making us wait any longer!!!!

• 12 years ago

Beautiful!!

• 12 years ago

That looks fanastic!!!!

• 12 years ago

That backsplash is beautiful. Really ties everything together, and adds wow factor to your kitchen.

• 12 years ago

Ding Ding Ding Ding.......you nailed it. It goes perfectly with the cabs and granite and is the perfect pop of color. I also like that you did not use it over the stove.

Marcolo.....my hats off to you. Beautiful.