Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rococogurl

What Else Should I Consider

rococogurl
12 years ago

Currently thinking of adding a new section of upper/lower cabinets to a wall in my kitchen (reno'd 7 years ago) as I need additional dish and glassware storage following a move. I have about 6 feet in a corner, between two doors.

I'm thinking of doing lighted glass uppers and putting a fridge/freezer paneled drawer set there.

Updated space would/could serve as: breakfast bar for guests, dessert or entertaining staging, kitchen buffet, flower display.

What I don't need is: baking center, charging station, or prep sink.

What else should I consider for that space? Anything you have and love in your kitchen?

I'm in the very preliminary mulling stage so I'm open to suggestions and all new ideas.

Space is where blue hutch currently resides. TIA!

Here is a link that might be useful: My Kit

Comments (12)

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Where are you putting that gorgeous blue hutch then?

• juliekcmo
    12 years ago

Can you tell us more about who lives in your household and uses the space?

• rococogurl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

breezy - there are 2 good spaces in adjacent dining room/sunroom. It wouldn't go to Siberia.

juliek - just two of us, empty nesters. The freezer drawer would be for DH's ice cream and my coffee; the fridge drawer would be for his drinks, fruit snacks. That's also extra cold storage -- the fridge gets full when we have weekend guests as I cook ahead.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

a small freezer for ice cream, at a warmer temperature than the long term chest freezer.

lighted glass uppers, yes. Tube flourescents will work well; they are linear and so is the structure being lit.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I'd consider similar open shelves as you have in the rest of your kitchen. They would be wider than the hutch's top, so you would get a lot more onto them...
    BTW - I love the colors and vibe you have going.... It is all so welcoming ;)

• sayde
    12 years ago

You might consider building one side of the cabinet with a narrow floor-to-ceiling storage space so you can store a broom and step stool. These are two things I use frequently (the step stool more for washing windows than for accessing things from cabinets) and have to store on the ledge of the steps leading to the basement. It would be convenient to have them a little closer.

Love your kitchen!

• rococogurl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

david -- I'm looking at the SZ, Perlick or other fridge/freezer drawer combo that can take drawer panels.

Had been hoping for a cold water spigot and trough sink but thought it might take too much real estate on counter and below.

dianalo - thanks for kind words. Do you mean open shelving vs glass door cabs? I'm looking for storage/display for vintage stemware and other glassware so I wasn't thinking of open shelving but perhaps I should. I currently have no upper cabinets at all in the kitchen.

sayde - This piece would have a display element given the sightline from the front door. I'm hoping the forum might suggest other entertaining and display oriented features in additional to functional stuff like places to plug in a coffee pot etc. I actually have an ample utility closet in the pantry and great basement storage.

Does anyone thing a display shelf around the room above the doorways would work/unify or just lower the ceiling visually?

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

Nice to hear that you want flower display space. Are you a flower arranger? We don't hear enough from that particular group of maniacs. (I planned that a place under one window could always be available as a flower arrangement spot even when all the rest of the countertops are busy doing something useful.)

Does it surprise you that I would suggest a wide pull-out board just below the countertop if this is a hutch unit? If you used one, you would not disturb display items, flowers, etc, when you need to use the area for work purpose or serving.

Also consider interesting sconce lighting mounted on the shelving supports. Would add some interest. And don't forget an outlet or two high on the wall so you can put twinkle lights (or an automated Santa or a beer sign) on an upper shelf.

An interesting pediment-like top would add interest from a distance and replace the ta-dah you have there now.

I'm sure there are some GW forum posters who will take that unsightly Swedish cupboard off your hands.
    __

Your query intrigues me. We have a still unaddressed plan to commission a built-in bookshelf unit next to a door [despite my pledge on a gonna-get-it-done thread last March it's not under way yet. Long story.] We've decided against cab doors or a plunk space--it will be open 12 inch shelving top to bottom. I've toyed with the idea of extending a shelf across the top of the unit and the top of the adjacent doorway, somewhat like a plate rail, but cannot envision it either. Would love to find visuals to help me think. I have items to display which really need space--I fear that 14 inches may not be tall enough and that it will thus become an invitation to simply amass more cookbooks and antiques reference books. And that question of "will it make the doorway seem cramped?" keeps nagging me.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

There are also all-fridge drawers that take panels. Ariston 36"w.

There are all-freezer drawers that take panels.

Just an idea.

A combo loses room inside because more motors/circuits and also an insulated separator panel between the two drawers.

A measuring tape is your friend. Nominal capacity statements in corporate marketing documents are not.

• biochem101
    12 years ago

Thanks so much for posting the link to the picture of your lovely kitchen in Attic Mag.

You have now been added to my collection of U-Shaped kitchens. You are WhiteU25. :)

Yours is very exciting as it's such a unique use of the space. One day I should do a webpage dedicated to the U-shape and the infinite variety one can achieve in that layout.

Love your hutch too. Glad it's not going. :)

(no advice here...just randomness)

• aliris19
    12 years ago

Oh my, rococo - so serene and internally consistent all around; I feel calmer and happier just looking at it from here. You must be very happy padding around this space.

Sorry, I'm no good with suggestions; it looks so completely perfect as-is. Thanks for letting us see!

• rococogurl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

florantha -- we seem to be on the same wavelength. Pull out board is something I'd love. Yes on cut flowers. Alas, the cupboard is a tragic mistake that I'm stuck with. Sigh.

Glad I'm not the only person thinking of those shelves above doorways. I like display but fear the lowish ceilings will look even lower with them. Wondering if anyone has pics of that? Not something I've seen much. Plans vs action is always an issue. Would rather figure it out and not do it than have to do it and then not have it work really well so...

biochem -- the original u-shape kitchen is this one which I built based on James Beard's. I had taken classes there. It was an amazingly functional kitchen where I taught cooking for 9 years. It had the best layout of any kitchen I've ever worked in.

thanks aliris -- how's your kitchen coming along? did you ever actually buy a faucet? would love to see some pics if you feel like it.

Anyone else have some really great ideas for this cupboard?