Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tootiepugsmom

I'm SERIOUSLY confused about the kitchen sink......

tootiepugsmom
13 years ago

Ok guys! I really need help! (pretty pretty please)

I'm getting ready to start shopping for granite but I wanted to purchase my faucet and sink first. My intent is to purchase the Ticor S508 undermount SS sink.....

(Exterior Dimensions: 30-5/8" x 18")

And the Delta 978-SD-DST Leland faucet

So.... What has me confused is that I saw a post a week or so ago about "trying to stuff an decent size sink in a 24 inch cabinet" and now I'm thinking there must be something that I don't know that will prohibit my two choices from fitting in my cabinet space?!? :(

I measured the inside of my kitchen sink cabinet and it is exactly 23 inches from the back wall to the front of the cabinet and 33 inches wide from side to side.

I'm not worried about the sink fitting width wise as the description says "Minimum Sink Base Cabinet Required:31-5/8"" and my cab width is 33 inches. Plenty of room, right?

What i'm worried about is fitting the sink and faucet in "depth" wise. (from front to back) If the depth of the sink is 18 inches and I'm guessing the faucet will take about 2 inches shouldn't that leave me with 3 additional inches of room in a 23 inch cabinet? Or am I missing something??

Any help from those of you who have already been through this would be GREATLY appreciated! :))

Comments (10)

• brickton
    13 years ago

First of all, great choices, I'm a big fan.

Second of all, yes, you are missing something. They were referencing putting a 24" sink in a 24" WIDE cabinet. You have standard depth cabinets and an 18" sink is not a problem with your faucet. You have the cabinet width to fit your sink and all the depths are standard. No worries. You are all set.

And again, nice choices.

• tootiepugsmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU brickton!! You have made my day! Or.... Really WEEK! I've been worried about this since I read that comment and finally worked up the nerve to post my question.

I'm SO HAPPY that my choices will work in my cabinet! Yay!!

Thank you again! :))

• needsometips08
    13 years ago

Just cause I have the same faucet, I measured mine.

The granite lip is 4" (remember some of this is overhang)
    The sink opening depth-wise from granite edge to granite edge is 17"
    From granite edge to back of faucet: 3 1/4"

TOTAL depth including faucet: 24 1/4"

• tootiepugsmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok. So I measured our current counter (old tile with a wood trip piece at the edge) from the backsplash to the end of the wood edge and it 24 1/2 inches.

So, I should be ok assuming we install the same width granite counters, right needsometips08? Is that what you are saying? :))

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

You've really gotten me thinking about this issue Tootie. (Glad you posted!) I don't really like the look of a sink cabinet and countertop around the sink bumped in the aisle space. I'm curious to know how sinks and faucets fit in the 24" deep cabinet. Exactly how far from the back of the sink DOES the faucet go? And how far from the back wall must the faucet be? I'm hoping that doesn't add up to too much depth for a 24" deep sink base.

• kathyallen
    13 years ago

I have been debating the sink question for our remodel and hope there's someone who can HELP ME!

My original thought was a big single sink (Ticor S508) because I'm so sick of the double, can't put the big pans in, kind of sink. But, I had so many people tell me that I'm going to miss the flexibility of 2 sinks, that I'm thinking of a big side, small side (Ticor S6512) as an option.

I would really LOVE your thoughts. Maybe there's something I haven't considered about these 2 options.

• kitchenobsessed
    13 years ago

Front to back dimensions are not a problem unless you have a sink like mine, the Blancoselect 509-302 whose outer dimensions are 20 5/32" front to back. The faucet and other stuff had to be mounted in the clipped corners since there wasn't room at the back. Its width at the top is 22 15/32" side to side, so it actually can be shoehorned into a 24" cabinet. The slope is really steep, so this is a fabulously roomy sink.

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

KO--so the sink bases I see that stick out/bumped out into the aisle are for aesthetic reasons only? Not because the sink and faucet won't fit in the 24 inches?

• kitchenobsessed
    13 years ago

@Breezygirl: Other than farmhouse sinks? Sorry, it has been a few years since I did my kitchen, so I am trying to remember what you are referring to...I am wondering about the structural integrity if a base is bumped out and not a deeper cab.

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

KO-No, not a farmhouse sink. I couldn't find a picture quickly to show you. I've just seen tons of main sinks where the sink base cabinet and countertop are a few inches deeper than 24" so they bow out into the aisle. I guess maybe it's more a design option (which I wouldn't choose) than a necessity.