Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladybuggy

Am I being too picky?

Snuggle Mug Co
14 years ago

We finally started construction on our galley kitchen. The plan was is to open up the entrance to the diningroom.

The entrance to the diningroom is on the short wall. I wanted it open as much as possible, leaving enough room for cabinets. The contractor openened it up today and left 41" of wall on one side and 36.5" of wall on the other side. To me, the opening is not symetrical. He thinks I'm being too picky and no one would notice 4.5" difference. Well, I noticed it as soon as I got home.

I asked him why he didn't keep the walls even as we discussed, he said he designed the opening to allow for future double doors. I have no intention of putting in doors and I want him to cut the wall out more.

I think he took the short cut, openened it up to the first stud and if he opens it up another 4" he'll have to completely reframe the opening (which is what I paid for).

Sorry for the long post, do you think I'm being too picky, should I let it go and move on.

Thanks.

Comments (14)

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

I know in your heart you know the right answer to this so let me reassure you. YOu are in no way being even remotely picky never mind, "too picky". Tell him to please continue working on the opening as discussed and contracted. And if you have to ask a third time... leave out the please.

• marthavila
    14 years ago

In a word? No! In two words? Heck no! In a couple of sentences? Remodelfla said it all!

• flseadog
    14 years ago

You are right. Not notice a 4.5" difference? Seriously, in our new build when I walked in for the first time after the walls went up I could tell that our entrance door was .25" off center in the foyer. I know that I could qualify as a sharpshooter or I'm completely OCD but for someone to try to say that 4.5" is not noticeable is ridiculous.

• PRO
    Snuggle Mug Co
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for the reassuring words. I don't like conflict and and didn't want to get into a argument with the contractor but it was the first thing I noticed when I got home. It's so frustrating when you are paying so much money and then are made to feel like you are difficult and demanding. I am definitely going to insist he reframes the opening so that it is centred properly.

Thanks again for your help. I can't wait until I can start posting some of my own photos. Eveyone on this board has helped me so much with my remodel.

• plllog
    14 years ago

Misplaced decimal: Most people wouldn't notice a .45" difference. How could one not notice a third of a foot?

Good for you for sticking up for yourself.

You can always say, "If you give me what I contracted for and expect from you, without me having to check and correct you, I will never be difficult or demanding."

• pharaoh
    14 years ago

I dont think anyone will come to your house and say " i cant believe your opening is not centered! why is it off by 4.5"?"

BUT, the point is not whether it is noticeable. The point is that you paid for it to be REframed. Make them frame it to your satisfaction.

Had you paid them only to remove studs (and not add a new header to span the opening) then their work may have been justified.

• trudymom
    14 years ago

Take my advice and make him do what he was supposed to do or you will regret it later--like I am regretting things...

• carolinek22
    14 years ago

If I ever start another remodeling project I will be difficult and demanding from the start. My sad experience is that if you try to be pleasant and reasonable they will walk all over you (they = contractors of all sorts and granite fabricators).

• nkkp
    14 years ago

Funny, no one will notice 4.5"...I noticed the trim on one side of my door was 1/4" larger than the other side. I would definately notice 4.5 inches! When you trim the opening it will exaggerate the difference even more. Hold your ground. Tell him that YOU will notice it, everytime you walk through the doorway and therefore it needs to be changed.

• tigger
    14 years ago

NO - you are NOT being too picky!!! If you asked that the doorway be centered and are not planning on putting doors there, then why on earth would he just decide to do what he wants?? I've just been through almost 3 weeks of hell with floors and am about to start all over again - but the floor company thought some "small" issues should just be overlooked. Yeah, well, the issues were anything but "small" and no, they won't be overlooked!! I'm tired of settling for things when it's not what was agreed upon initially! Anyway, tell the contractor to get busy and fix it NOW! And that YOU are the one paying and making the decisions! I am so freaking sick of contractors of any sort right now - but I'm sure you can't tell that, right? Haha :)

• kitchenredo2
    14 years ago

No.

Who is paying for the work - you or the contractor? I would watch this guy like a hawk. I would be worried about what other things he is going to do that he thinks is right and you would not agree with...

I would explain to him that he MUST check with you before he decides to "design" and veer off the plan you have given him (there could be an occasion where his experience and input could be valuable - I am giving him the benefit of the doubt). And if he doesn't check with you first before making a change to the plans, the labor, materials and time he incurs to fix his "little design excursions" and do what you wanted in the first place will be his financial responsibility.

I would also explain to him that it is easier and less expensive for him to do it right the first time. And doing it right is doing what you, the client wants.

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

Not at all. if it is a 48" opening that is almost 10% off.

• sailormann
    14 years ago

I would (very politely) have a discussion with the contractor. Explain to him/her that you expect to get what you contracted for. Nothing else is acceptable.

Ask if he/she wants to continue with the project or leave now. Trust me - if they do leave it will be a very good thing for you. It might slow you down somewhat but it's better to be late than crazy from staring at bad workmanship.

Then stay on top of them. They hav show you what will happen if you don't.

Tell them that you don't want anything closed up until you have had a chance to take a look at it. It's a good idea to make notes abouth things inside your walls so you know what's where if you want to do any work or repairs in the future.

Good Luck !

• plllog
    14 years ago

Some of the posts here remind me of when the tile setters, GC and cabinet maker were here having a confab. After the walls and windows were done, the cabinet maker found an extra inch and wondered where I wanted it. Naturally, I chose countertop! So when we were talking about window trim, they were terribly concerned because I might have that inch more wall showing. Since my priority is countertop, I thought about it too quickly for them to notice and said no problem. They were shocked!!!! One said in surprise to another, "She's so easy!" I'm not. I just know my priorities and what I can live with.

So my wish for Firstyear, and all the other TKOs, is contractors who care more about the bits that are a little off than you do. :-)

Oh, and they figured out how to install the trim so that I get that inch of wall on both sides. And get my inch of countertop. So I wish for all of you to have good problem solvers too...