Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valmc_gw

Wilsonart laminate

valmc
13 years ago

Hi, I am currently wanting to redo my 70's kitchen and with price budget decided to go with wilsonart laminate. For those on here who have this could you please post a picture of your counters and let me know what color they are. Thank you. I am having a hard time deciding b/c I just have little pictures int he brochure to go by and I guess I have no imagination b/c I cant tell if I would like it "bigger".

Comments (7)

• covella
    13 years ago

I found that the little sample chips had no resemblance to what the large countertops look like when made up. I went to a couple of kitchen showrooms that also sold countertops to look, and what a difference that made.
    I would recommend you go ahead and look - also you will have a chance to think about which edge you want - if you can wait you can order custom rounded edges, if not then you can choose beveled or flat 90 degree edges.
    HTH

• igloochic
    13 years ago

I just do not have a good picture of this desk anywhere that highlights the wilsonart counter. This picture is during the back splash application so it's dusty (you can see the spacers in the tile). It has the appearance of a black brown weathered granite and I had a wood piece made for the face so it wouldn't have a hard edge (this is my sewing desk in the master closet room so my needs were very specific).

I love the finish and given that we have pretty high end counters all throughout the house you would think it would stand out as "not real stone" but really...everyone ohhhs and awwwwsss about the closet space and the sewing desk so I don't think it's objectional :) I'd use it again in a heart beat....now if I could just give you a name.....I can't so all I'll do is say I like the quality of the wilsonart product and think you will as well :)

• lizziebethtx
    13 years ago

I have oiled soapstone and love it. I planned on black absoulte granite but we got to the end and I didn't want to spring for it because we were renovating the entire downstairs. I read several reviews on this forum about the oiled soapstone and thought it would be good product I could put up with in lieu of the granite. However, I honestly love the the countertops. I had in mind to change to granite in a couple of years, but I'm not sure I ever will...at least until the kitchen needs an overhaul in the far future. The last time I had formica was in the late 1980s...it has REALLY come a long way. I was able to get large scrap pieces from the place I ordered the countertop from. it was a local privately owned business as opposed to a big box store. They keep large scraps from previous jobs for potential buyers to see. Also you can call Wilsonart's 800 number and order a larger sample of any of their products. I think the fee is $1.00. It's not as large as a scrap sample, but much better than the 2 x 2 square you probably have.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Hi Valmc,

What are your cabinets, floors and walls? What colors
    are you looking at?

I have a few images not from my kitchen but from Wilsonart.
    I am truly amazed how far they have come with styles,
    colors and how close they resemble real stone. Beautiful!
    Hope they can help you.

~boxer

Wilson Art Smokey Topaz

Frosted Glass Wilsonart

Sedona Spa Wilsonart

Raven Gemstone WA

Pearl Soapstone Wilson

Canyon Passage

NIght Passage WA

Natural Roca

Milano Mahogany

Jeweled Opal

Dessert Passage

Bella Capri

Sunstone

• lazyhomeowner
    13 years ago

You can order larger 8 x 10 samples from Wilsonart.

Here is a link that might be useful: Countertop.com

• valmc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks for all the replies everyone! My floor is a white/gray ceramic tile. And my walls are a light yellow color which I might change sometime. Depends on how everything else fits together. Right now my cabinets are orange (house was build in the 70's) So I do plan to change the color of them. Was looking for countertops to see which I like, so I would know if I want to do dark counters/light cabinets or light counters/dark cabinets. Any opinions?

• mthouse
    13 years ago

I have a WilsonArt HD laminate that I can't remember the name of. I ordered the larger 8x10 sample before I chose it though and I think it was a good representation of the actual color/pattern.

Sorry, I don't have any pictures and I'm not sure if I'll be able to post any real soon. But my counters are close to black with flecks of tan in them.

I don't think they would "fool" anybody into thinking they are natual stone or anything like that but they don't really look like laminate. Most people question what they are because they just look different than most people are used to seeing. I like them and would definately consider doing them again, however I don't know if cost-wise they were much cheaper than a lower-grade granite. We saved $$ on the install that made it more worthwhile for us.