Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lmalm53_gw

Kitchen Remodel Progress Pics - Suggestions on Wall Color Needed

lmalm53
15 years ago

New appliances, granite and tile are all installed. Original cabinets cleaned, touched up and hardware replaced. Completed installation of new light fixtures, undercabinet lighting and dimmer switches. My neighbor doing the major remodeling work has completed his tasks and headed back to Florida.

What is left for me to do is complete the removal of the old wallpaper, decide on paint colors for the walls, final window treatments and decorating ideas. The kitchen is my main focus right now, but I also have the sunroom, powder room and laundry to pick wall colors for. I have been trying to introduce some color into the kitchen using dishware, floral arrangements etc. to see what looks good.

I love the warm, earthy tones of my granite, tile and cabinets but feel like I need to infuse some bright colors to punch it up a bit. Plus the feel and look of the kitchen can vary greatly depending on how I have the lighting set... full on brightly lit or more intimate and atmospheric with the dimmers turned down. So not sure what I should do for wall colors. I am thinking I would like to make the fireplace wall color different than the walls and soffits in the main kitchen area.

So far I tend to like the introduction of the reds/burgundy and yellow colors but not sure if I should go that dramatic with the wall paint or not. I could stay basically neutral with wall paint and use the brighter colors only for windows and accesories... but I am still feeling I need some boldness in the paint colors. Wish I knew more about photoshop to practice masking different wall colors. Anyway, here are the pics... appreciate any suggestions!

Here is the original circa 1989 kitchen as it appeared before the remodel:

Here is the current remodeled kitchen with unfinished walls and no window treatments yet:

Here is the fireplace wall still with the original old wallpaper. Need to decide on paint colors:

Here is another picture with more of the fireplace wall visible:

The kitchen with existing lighting dimmed, both ceiling fixtures and undercabinet lighting. Picture taken at night without any flash:

Same picture taken at night with a flash and dimmer lights turned up to full settings:

Another picture of undercabinet lighting dimmed and no flash used:

Picture of my newly grouted travertine tile and my new Lutron Maestro switchplates in Desert Sand color...a good match! :

We finally got our extra tile in to finish the Butler Pantry area. Here is a pic of the accent tile and rope detail after finishing the grout:

We are planning on replacing the old bar stools and small dining table, but need to decide if we want to move our eating area out into the sunroom and make a small seating area around the fireplace instead. That will impact our decision on the type of furniture we get. The area in front of the fireplace is really a little too small for either eating or sitting but we could fit a love seat and upholstered chair there. Since it is just the two of us the small table works fine, but it might be nice to have more table seating in the sunroom for casual dining. Still trying to decide what makes best use of the space.

Appreciate any comments, suggestions or ideas for the colors and finishing touches needed. I would never had made it this far without all the good advice and information here at GW!

Comments (20)

• lamir
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hello, your new kitchen is beautiful! I love your floor color. Is that "Golden Oak", or "Natural"?I am just finishing up myself, and although my cabinets are a honey colored maple, try looking at "Goldfinch" by Benjamin Moore or a golden color on your walls. I'm doing "Peach Brandy", a terracotta color in the mudroom/pantry/laundry room, something like your place mats in the first pic. Sunset colors. Maybe that would work with your scheme. Good luck in your gorgeous new kitchen!

• msrose
    15 years ago

Wow, it's amazing how much difference a new countertop and backsplash can make. What granite did you use? It's gorgeous. I don't think I would go with a dramatic paint color in there. I think you need to let the granite be the dramatic part of the room. I would stick with a warm, but light, neutral.

Laurie

• cindyinsocal
    15 years ago

Beautiful!!! What a transformation.

I love the metal tiles on the backsplash. Can you tell me the manufacturer?

I would do something neutral on the walls, just enough color to highlight the molding, etc. I think a dramatic color would take away from the beauty of the cabinets and granite. Just my opinion!

• minac
    15 years ago

I love your kitchen. In terms of paint color, I can't decide if I see a bold color or a neutral color (really helpful I know). Since the style of the furniture and some of the colors really remind me of Colonial Williamsburg I could see you using something in the Benjamin Moore line of colors that are sort of the Colonial Williamsburg colors or taking inspiration from a historic site like the Biltmore and seeing if one of the paint colors could work. I feel like there is a color out there that isn't tan (for the neutral) but isn't red (for a bold) that is something a little unexpected that would completely tie it all together. I just don't know what the color would be.

• kelleg69
    15 years ago

I think a warm neutral would be great. I would bring home some swatches and see what works with the granite.

• PRO
    puertasdesign
    15 years ago

How about matching the sandy gold color of glass pendants for the soffits?

I think it would fun to go dark on the fireplace wall. I'd even consider a super dark bold wallpaper back there...
    I love this line called Blackbird from Cavern Home:
    {{gwi:1913333}}

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.cavernhome.com/

• lmalm53
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the great responses! Still open to more ideas :)

lamir - The hardwood floor is our original 19 year old job finished oak with a Glitsa finish. Glitsa is a swedish finishing process used years ago, but is no longer available in its original formulation due to the chemicals involved. I think there is a water based version of it now. It definitely was a long lasting finish though! The stain used was mixed on site but it was some combination of red oak and golden something or other.... too long ago for me to remember! Once we complete our whole house remodel we will be adding hardwood flooring to rooms now carpeted and then will have the old kitchen floors refinished when the new floors are put in. We will probably stick with about the same color, possibly a little lighter depending on the color scheme of the rest of the house. I will check out your suggestion for using Benjamin Moores "Goldfinch" color for the walls.

msrose - Our granite is called "El Dorado" and is from Brazil. I have not seen it anywhere else exactly like what we have, but the Geriba Beach granite is very similar. We love the granite, but it has more of a "textured" feel than some of the darker, more dense granites. In other words it does not feel like a flawless smooth piece of glass all over. There are spots where the small stones and fissures just at the surface can be felt even with the polished finish. It still is highly reflective and beautiful, and I like the natural stone appeal of it.

cindyinsocal - The 6x6 accent tile is made by Daltile in their Metal Signatures line and is called Aged Bronze Rosette. I am not sure it is metal, it feels like it might be a man made material but it does have a reflective surface in the right lighting. My flash on the camera made this pic look lighter than it really is. It blends pretty well with the color of my cherry cabinets. The small rope accent design were 6 inch pieces I picked up at Home Depot in their tile dept. After we grouted I had to decide if I wanted to clean off all the grout completely from them or leave a little to show the design detail. I ended up cleaning all the horizontal borders of the pieces and left just a little grout in between the scroll work pattern.

Minac  Thanks for the suggestions on colors. I sort of feel the same way I know I would be safe using a neutral wall color and in the long run might like that the best, but I still feel like there is a color out there just waiting for me to discover it! You are right that our current furniture has a colonial / early American feel to it. I am not sure we will be sticking with that furniture though. I would love to find a pair of counter height bar chairs which have either wood frames matching my cabinets or metal frames in a ORB finish, a basic low back with maybe leather upholstery and swivel seats. Will also need to replace the small table and chairs to match the bar stools or else move the eating area into the sunroom and go for a totally different look in there.

Kelleg  I think paint swatches are the next order of business for me. I am going to have to be able to visualize the room better than I can currently. I may also spend some time with Photoshop and see if I can figure out how to change the wall colors so I can try samples that way too.

Rob_p - Yes the creamy golden color of my pendants may be a wall color possibility. I am still thinking I would like to accent my fireplace wall with a complimentary color or darker shade than what I use in the rest of the room. I am staying away from wallpaper for now because it will be much easier to change my paint colors if I donÂt like them! :)

• gshop
    15 years ago

We went with BM Squire Hill Buff #1068. I wanted the walls to blend in with the kitchen and have the cabinets/granite be the focal point.

Your granite and other colors are similar to mine. Try something neutral. Good Luck!

• ljsandler
    15 years ago

Gorgeous changes!

I think an off white, creamy neutral with no pink or yellow undertones would set off your cabinets and would not compete with your other beautiful elements. I see a crisp and elegant color.

• njmomof2
    15 years ago

First of all, congratulations on your beautiful kitchen. It came out gorgeous. I love the backsplash, island, floor..everything. I just redid my kitchen and we used Behr's Navajo White. It is neutral but has a touch of gold and sand in it. We love it. We also decided to nix the window treatments. I see that you have a wonderful view out your windows and unless you have neighbors that bump up against your house, nature truly makes the best treatment. Either way, good luck and the best of everything in your lovely kitchen.

• gardenburgher
    15 years ago

Imalm53 - I usually avoid offering opinions on color because its so subjective and personal, and because monitors affect what you see. But yours is one of my favorite kitchens. Plus I appreciated the step-by-step granite install photos that you posted awhile back. So here goes . . .

I agree with some of the previous posters that bold colors would detract from your beautiful cabinets and granite. But I LOVE the colors of your accents . . . burgundy and yellow. Those are the colors of my kitchen. Sort of a mustard yellow on the walls with a burgundy rust on my window soffit. I love it for me, but I dont have the dramatic cabinets and granite that you have. (Its not done yet, so I dont have photos. )

I do like your idea of putting color on the fireplace wall. Hows about putting your burgundy on that wall, with your yellow on the mantle trim. Then using a softer coordinating color on the rest of the room. Then pulling those colors into your window treatment to tie it together.

I was going to try to do a mock up but my monitor is playing havoc with the colors (getting mauve and some strange yellows). I just did a search and saw Benjamin Moores Pottery Barn Collection. Looks beautiful . . . at least on my monitor.

Can you imagine doing some combination of this? (not sure if you need the green, though)

Benjamin Moore's
    Navajo white
    Wedgewood gray
    Brick red
    Hampton green

HTH!

• sue_ct
    15 years ago

Don't know about the color, my cabinets are similar and I went with a warm beige neutral that blended with the countertop for now. What I really need to know and where to get your table and chairs! They blend beautifully and are what I am looking for also for my small space.

Sue

• minac
    15 years ago

The pottery barn colors mentioned by gardenburgher were in my mind - especially the Wedgewood gray being used somewhere between the kitchen and the fireplace as the unexpected not neutral but not bold color. I also liked the Navajo white.

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

I might be the odd girl out here but I almost want to see a cooler color to play off the beautiful warmth you have going on. Maybe a neutral gray slight blue? It would also highlight your brick by being a complementary color. You did a FABULOUS job in your kitchen. Congratulations!

• marilyn234
    15 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful!! I also could see a golden color in your kitchen. Sherwin Williams blond comes to mind. Restrained gold by SW also nice but may be too dark with your cabinets. Love your backsplash, could you tell me what the color of your subways are and if also purchased from Daltile? Also your receptacle and covers match so well, are they almond from Lowes??
    Again beautiful job!!

• florador
    15 years ago

I love your kitchen! Thanks for providing all the photos. I wonder what it looks like now, after you're done with your painting. So much good advice -- so much to think about!

We've chosen a similar granite, and are now trying to figure out which under cabinet lights to choose. I wonder if you still know which lights were installed for you? You mention that they can be dimmed, so they're not fluorescent. We're thinking that we'd like to go with LEDs, so they won't contribute heat. And we want them usefully bright - not just for providing "mood"! From the photos, it seems yours are bright and dimmable!

• kemcolleen
    14 years ago

Just wondering if you ever did pick a color for your walls and what you went with? Did you put curtains up?
    I was looking for a picture your finished kitchen, is there one posted. You did a beautiful job

• lmalm53
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi everyone! Sorry I have been MIA on these forums for several months. We finished the paint job in our kitchen, sunroom, powder room and laundry area in February. I sewed some simple valances for the sunroom and purchased pleated shades for the kitchen windows. We LOVE the kitchen! Everything there is finally done except refinishing the original hardwood flooring.

We have now moved to "phase 2" of our whole house remodel and just started on our dining room, greatroom, entry foyer, guest bath and bedroom hallway. All the 20 year old wallpaper has been stripped and walls/trim all newly painted. The next step is to pull up the old carpeting and replace with new hardwood floors.

Sorry I haven't posted recent pictures but here are a few of the kitchen area in pretty much its final form.

This is the kitchen after we painted the walls but before I got the window shades:

New Island Cooktop and PopUp Vent:

Looking toward Fireplace:

Looking toward Butler Pantry:

From Kitchen entrance:

From Sunroom towards Butler Pantry:

Butler Pantry Paint:

The new kitchen window shades:

Kitchen Shades Half Open:

New Powder Room Paint:

New Sunroom Paint:

Sunroom Valances:

Hallway to Laundry:

Laundry Folding Table:

Laundry Sink:

• turbomomjen
    14 years ago

Wow, love your kitchen make-over pics!!

I was just wondering-what is the name of the main color you used in your kitchen? I love it!

Thanks, Jen

• poof
    11 years ago

Please let us know the paint colors that you chose for your projects.