Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaksopcam_gw

Show Me Your Kitchen Window Please

jaksopcam
14 years ago

Another one of these decisions has popped up that I didn't anticipate would be a big deal, but I'm tired of this remodel and cranky and second guessing myself all over the place. ... Calgon, take me away! (anyone remember that commercial?).

Anyway, here's the latest dilemma. Our kitchen window over the sink is flanked by cabinets. We are having yellow river granite with some sort of tile backsplash (another agonizing decision I haven't even come close to making yet). I thought to have a granite window sill but now I'm being asked what goes around the rest of the window. There are about 2 inches of space between the window and the cabinet. One option would be the tile backsplash could go all the way up to the ceiling (8 ft.). Another option is to keep the backsplash at the normal height (whatever that may be) and I guess frame out the window in wood. My problem with that is my cabinets are a real creamy color and the other window by my eating area is framed out in white. I didn't think I'd like that white next to my cabinets.

Any pictures of your windows would be great as I am having difficulty picturing this. I've tried looking through the finished kitchen blogs but there are just so many and some of them don't work or some of them I can't get a good view of the window.

Thank you.

Comments (3)

• starfish24
    14 years ago

We have a similar set-up (see below) and decided to go with a granite ledge and frame out the window in wood. Our cabinets on that run are also a creamy white, but we had the window frame painted white-white, just like our door frames and the molding in adjacent rooms. As you can see, we have not yet put in the backsplash (some stone tile TBD when I feel like making more decisions). My plan is for the backsplash tiles to go up to right under the cabinets (18"?) and then carry that over at that height the remaining few inches to the window frame. I don't think I want to carry the tile all the way up there, since I plan to put up some little window treatment up at the top anyway. Once the backsplash is up, I will likely have the window frame repainted to match the cabinets (like the molding above the cabinets). I suspect that will look better than regular white, though, frankly, it's not really that noticeable right now.

By the way, I also got sick of the remodel, primarily because of all the things that were done poorly and needed to be redone, so I just took a break for several months (mostly the decorating part, which had stopped being fun for me). I even had to stop my daily GW habit because everything house-related was such a downer. The break was good for me; I now feel ready to get back on the horse. Good luck with the remainder of your remodel.

• willowdecor
    14 years ago

Here is pale, pale blue (almost white) kitchen with a beautiful window as a focal point in the kitchen. This may give you some good inspiration.

Here is a link that might be useful: Window in Pale blue kitchen

• biochem101
    14 years ago

All of the woodwork around our windows/doorways everywhere in the house is in the process of being painted a traditional glossy white. It was dark brown and matched the former cabinets and paneling! :p

We went with white cabinets with a very light pewter glaze. They are a snowy white, not in the cream family at all. But they have this touch of pewter highlight on the trim and around the edges. We replaced the window over the sink between two wall cabinets so the cabinet maker replaced the old wood with trim painted to match the cabinets. I asked him to give me a wider window sill (in wood, thought about using the countertop stone but it seemed 'too much' for my decor).

This one window inbetween the 2 cabinets exactly matches the cabinet trim. It doesn't jump out as being a different white. Around the room other doorways and the window in the breakfast nook are the 'normal' white. It looks normal. I think if that window had been the brighter (not glazed) white of the rest right between those two cabinets it WOULD have jumped out as different.

That's what I did and I'm happy with the result.

Take it easy...you're almost there now! :)