Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elphaba_gw

need design help for windows/shelves over cleanup sink

10 years ago

I need a design for the West wall of our kitchen in process of being remodeled. I'm cross posting between Kitchen forum and interior decorating forums so hope that's okay. I think my questions here are more design related than function but there is SOME function.

Options are almost "anything goes" from above countertop (which is at 35 inches thereabouts from floor) to ceiling. Budget is always a concern but I am first looking for something I "love" and then I will try to figure out how to get it without breaking the bank.
Background:
--13 X 14.5 = size of room
--exterior wall - west side - lots of sun
-- 97 inch ceiling
--full width of exterior kitchen wall is 14 1/2 feet - with 2ft counters/cabs on both sides
--large sink (32 inch?) below windows will be in a 36 inch cabinet with 2 ft wide dishwasher on right side and 2 ft counter on left
--sink on this wall is not only sink - there is a prep sink in island
--this wall is most visible (head on) from the adjacent dining room that has 10 ft opening between dining and kitchen
--island shown will have butcher block counter and two stools at end of island at point facing the windows (without countertop this isn't obvious from picture) island is 6.5 feet deep and 42 inches wide
--13 feet is depth of kitchen from West exterior wall to point it interfaces to dining room
--South and East walls are lined with cabinets (or backdoor) so lots of visual clutter
--unfortunately, view isn't that great out the window - thinking of hanging outside in front of windows baskets of Bougainvillea, a plant that does well in pots and blooms most of the year in our climate and is quite beautiful
--my goal with this wall is MAINLY to add light and also to give feeling of openness and space and design (maybe with a hanging plant on shelf?)

As it stands now:
--I'm looking at three windows as shown in the image below but this is still design phase so nothing bought yet or even bidded on yet. I had wanted to d o a couple of open shelves on each side of the windows for cookbooks or herbs or decorative tea cups or something like that. I have plenty of storage elsewhere so this is not a major concern though I do like to have things I use most be visible rather than in cabinets so might be useful for hanging spatula or something? But doesn't look like enough room, especially with the horizontal cabs planned for the East wall - they will need room to open out.

bottom line questions:
What size and shape windows would you do? simple? picture? casement? doublehung? awning? Would you sacrifice width of windows to have open shelving? Or have no open shelves on either side to get more light? How many open shelves (dust collectors?)
--Thoughts, ideas or suggestions?

Comments (4)

• 10 years ago

I would mull those windows together so that it's one large window first of all. That will need a single larger header rather than 3 individual ones, but the effect will be more than worth that additional expense.

Then, for the wall to the right, I'd do a wall mounted pot hanger to display some pretty copper or other stuff. The cabinet should be a blind corner cabinet, with a door panel on the blind portion facing the shelf. That way you will avoid having the door smack the display, and the shelf could just dog into the cabinet if you chose to do a wooden one. Or, do an L shaped corner cabinet there, and the shelving could be a continuation of the corner very smoothly.

For the left side, is there a reason that the base cabinets don't extend down that way? I don't see doing any shelving or anything else there without some type of base underneath to ground it.

• 10 years ago

holly - thanks very much for your advice including the details. I understand about combining the windows with one large header. And that was my original idea. But the way it is drawn in the picture I uploaded was done by the Ikea designer that visited me a few days ago. Ikea doesn't do windows so she just put a placeholder... but

I kind of like how she put the three with more separation than I was thinking. Do you think it makes the kitchen have more of a "living room" feel to it? That is how I'm seeing it and I like it, I think. The kitchen will be Ikea modern but the house built in 1935 still seems to maintain a "vintage feel". I'm wondering if keeping the separation between the windows for 8 or 10 inches will keep a slight vintage feel that is not always a bad thing. I don't seem to know what I want here. Guess I need to sleep on it a few more nights.

The left side where there is an obvious break in cabinets is the back door, something that has been a bit of a nemesis. I was thinking of putting a small to medium size art print on that wall, maybe even with a "wall washer" light.

I'm coming to grips with the backdoor because it makes a great recycle prep area - there is a small outdoor porch there. The city authorities seem to be changing our recycle process here and soon will be adding back in glass (they took it away about a year ago). There is room enough to put a large can there and stacks of newspapers and containers of cans. And with easy access to the kitchen, allows me not to feel the need to provide recycle space inside the kitchen.

Considering that Bloomberg is promoting composting in New York for city pickup, I'm thinking it will be here eventually and I'm thinking that porch would be a good place for temporary storage. Times are a changing and with my porch that has a roof and that has steps to driveway (which we rarely use) and is not enclosed except on the door side between porch and house, I think I'm ready.

• 10 years ago

What do you think about my putting more separation between windows?

inspiration at:

translated to my kitchen - below is elevation of west wall only which includes cleanup sink in the center:

• 10 years ago

How do these changes affect the home's exterior look? There's nothing worse than having a renovation that is very obvious from the exterior. Ideally, you'd like to have the windows blend in with the existing windows in both size and features so it looks like it belongs.