Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abejadulce_z9b

sink tip out questions

abejadulce_z9b
15 years ago

It's past time that I ordered the hardware for my sink tip out but every time I look at them, I get confused.

My sink base is 36" wide, but the tip-outs I see aren't that large. 25" is the largest I've seen. Do I just order two 14" models to fill up the space or am I looking in the wrong place? I've been looking at the ones at kitchensource.com.

I also remember reading something about the depth of the tray with some types of undermount sink being a problem - the tray might not close if it abuts the sink.

Thank you for your help

Beatrice

Comments (17)

• barijay
    15 years ago

My sink base is 36 inches wide, I have an undermount sink, and I have 2 of the 14 inch trays which fit nicely with the hinges we have. If the trays were any larger it would not have worked since the hinges are each about 2 inches wide. The hinges are kind of for furniture - the type where you press a door, for example on a media console, and the door pops open. In our case, we press the top of the tip out drawer and it opens up. And no issue with the sink.

• igloochic
    15 years ago

Our 36" base has two 14" trays as well. But in the kitchen, I did have to remove both of the tip outs because they interfeared with the undermount sink placements. I would have had to have the sinks back 4" to fit them in (part of my issue is that I have inset cabinets so lost 3/4 of an inch that would have made them work).

• abejadulce_z9b
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you womanwarrior and igloochick.

Did your tip-outs come from the cabinet fabricator or did you buy them separately? We are doing an Ikea kitchen, so this will be a design modification.

• zobeet
    15 years ago

My tip-out came from the cabinet manufacturer. I wasn't at all convinced I wanted one but my KD, who's a major anti-clutter person, was all excited about them and put one in the plan, so I figured what the heck.

• maydl
    15 years ago

My tip-out was installed by the cabinet manufacturer (DeWils). I had demanded the longest one they could fit into my 36-inch sink base, and the one they put in is white plastic and 33.5 inches long.

• mmme
    15 years ago

I haven't heard of the issue with tip-outs and an undermount sink. Is there something unusual about your sink or sink placement? or is the problem a common one?

I ordered tip-outs, and my KD never asked what kind of undermount sink I'm getting. So I assume they should work with ANY undermount....

• abejadulce_z9b
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think that Igloochic's response explained the issue. It's not the type of sink but how close it is set to the edge of the counter.

My current sink (edge of bowl) is 3 1/2 inches from the counter's edge. The counter overhang is about 1 inch. The cabinet face plus the false front are 1 1/4" thick. That doesn't leave much usable space. I'm somewhat "vertically challenged." setting the sink another inch back may be an issue, especially since the new sink is so much deeper than this one.

They don't cost much, and if I can buy it locally I might try it anyway.

• sara_the_brit_z6_ct
    15 years ago

Rev-a-shelf have one for 36" cabinets, which can be cut down to fit any length, for only about $25.00.

• azstoneconsulting
    15 years ago

Igloochic's response rocks!!!

My esteemed sister from the Great White North's response pretty much said it all...

Here is my .02 cents worth to re-enforce what Igloochic
    is saying:

Just remember that IF you are going with Natural Stone
    or Engineered Stone SLAB tops - you should make sure that
    your Fabricator KNOWS that there ARE going to be tip outs.

The best two times to remind him are
    1: when you are signing the contract...

and once again......
    2: at the time of template.

IF this important to you (which I would presume that it is)
    then MAKE SURE he knows it too!!!!
    Tip outs often can get overlooked, so make sure that your countertop company
    (whatever the material is that you decide to go with)
    KNOWS about them... BEFORE they Fabricate your countertops....

This way they can position the undermount sinks
    (if that's what you are going with)
    so that your tip outs will function propperly
    without interfering with the sinks, etc.

I have a templating checklist that our guys use so that
    this very thing is NOT overlooked, and we know about it
    so that our customers STAY HAPPY!!!

Gotta LOVE Happy Customers!!!!!!

hope that helps

kevin

• abejadulce_z9b
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was just at Blowes and Home Despot. Despot has them onlinne but not in the store. Blowes has them in the store, but only the 11" size!

• rosie
    15 years ago

Yes, I saw them at Blowes tody. They were $15 and included two 11" trays( as well as the mounting hardware of course).

• barijay
    15 years ago

Mine were ordered/purchased by our contractor. Our contractor who had issues with measurements but somehow got this small detail right (big detail like ordering the right window sizes- no). I hadn't given a lot of thought to 1 tray or 2 and as you know there's so much to focus on I guess I was happy I didn't have to think about this (I hadn't had one in over 10 years).

• pcjs
    15 years ago

We just installed the Lowes ones - a year ago when we got our cabinets (yea, we're on slow mode) we ordered the ones via Kraftmaid with metal via the kitchen shop - my mom had the metal and I hated them as they have holes in them for water to leak out and she lined them with foil which worked. Its and easy DIY install and the Lowes ones are nice. You can either get a few smaller ones or a bigger one. I prefer the two seperate ones so on one side I can have wet stuff and on the other dry stuff. I prefer the plastic too so it is easier to clean.

• mmme
    15 years ago

Oh dear! Now I'm nervous that my tip-outs won't work! Oh well, they've already been delivered, so I guess I'll find out at templating.

Kevin, can you share the other items on your checklist? I never would have known to mention my tip-outs, so now I wonder what else I might potentially overlook at templating.

• vitta_2008
    15 years ago

I had 2 tilt outs incorporated in my design and the KD knew the demensions of the sink and when the granite guy came to template, they had to be removed because it would be in the way of the sink. So I had them removed and put them on the cabinet door underneath the sink. I guess this is a common error!!!!

• jtsgranite4us
    15 years ago

We had to use the Rev-A-Shelf thin model (1-7/8" deep). Our problem was that we used the "Sink Setter" mounting system for our undermount sink. The rails prevented us from being able to use the deeper tip out. We purchased the 36" long model and trimmed it to 33" to fit our cabinet.