Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bungalow_house

old house - need ideas for tricky front hall/stairway

bungalow_house
16 years ago

You guys have some really good ideas so I'm coming out of lurkdom for some advice!

I have a 1922 bungalow that we have owned for a year and are pain-stakingly restoring. It has a narrow front hall, so there is no hope of ever getting a table or hall tree in it. There is a coat closet, but I like having hooks for a small number of items. I have an accordian-style expandable black iron coat rack (you know the kind you usually see made out of wood) that I would like to put up, and I have an old oblong mirror. A shelf would be good too but I don't currently have one. I can't come up with a way to incorporate these things on this wall. I also have a rather petite black ladder-back chair with a rush seat that fits ok in the corner, but again, I can't envision how to incorporate it with the coat rack/mirror/shelf idea. And FWIW, there is a little bit of wall space opposite this wall, over the radiator, but the mirror that I already have is too big for that spot. I'm not in love with the prints that are currently on the wall there because they seem too formal to me, but they are family pieces, and we have 14 of them, I think, so I thought I should use them.

And while I'm at it, I've added pictures of the stairway. There is a window at the landing that is very high. The bottom of it is roughly 5' from the floor. (The siding changes outside from claps on the first floor to shingles on the second floor, that's why the window is up so high, to clear the transition.) When I put the plant on the landing recently, it became really obvious to me that I need stuff there to visually pull the window down. My problem is that I have never been a fan of photos or prints on a stairwell wall because I always feel like I'm going to fall if I look at them while I'm walking up or down. :) But I suppose I need something to deal with the window, so advice there would be appreciated too! (Maybe those 14 black prints -- but how?)

If you would like to see other pics, let me know.

Thanks!

Comments (21)

• totallyblessed
    16 years ago

BH~

I am not a decorating guru, so I'll leave that for our wonderful GW posters who are sooo good at this.

Just wanted to say that I adore your house. Those windows are gorgeous, and the wood is just beautiful. I also really like the color on your walls. Great house! :o)

• bluestarrgallery
    16 years ago

Your home is wonderful and I love the color of the walls.

What size is your expandable coat rack?

I could envision a shelf type coat rack with the shelf above and the hooks below and then the mirror could be hung above the shelf and some decorative items placed on the shelf in front of the mirror and the small chair you described placed in the corner on an angle. See link for mission coat rack - perhaps not one that is 51 inches long but maybe smaller.

Below the 5 ft window I could see a different planter that is narrow and oblong with some of those snake plants in it at varying heights. I think the tall narrow plant that you have placed there is emphasizing the height of the window.

I also think you are on to something with those 14 black prints, some of them hung low below the 5 foot window and some hung to the left and right (wall) of the 5 foot window in kind of a gallery style - try cutting out some paper bags in their sizes and tape them to the wall to see how the design would work and post a photo of that - I think those prints would look great there.

Can't wait to see how you decorate the space.

Here is a link that might be useful: mission coat rack

• johnmari
    16 years ago

OK, let me start by saying I'm utterly in love with your house, especially your moldings/casings and floors. Color me positively viridian with envy! Where I live, bungalows like that are rare and quite expensive; the few bungalows we looked at in our price range all needed at least $150,000 worth of work (which is why we have a "Victorian Lite" instead!). Good for you for restoring instead of remuddling! I would love to see more pictures of the rest of the house, although I'll need to have a towel handy to mop up the drool. :-)

I think the four prints are too small for the space they're in, it emphasizes their smallness. If there's one thing that makes me crazy it's art that's too small for its wall. I agree with ranging the 14 family prints on the stairway wall - just PAUSE to look at them instead of falling down the stairs! ;-) I absolutely love using stairways as galleries. If that is non-negotiable, change the four to six, three over three and a shade closer together, and hang the remaining eight in the front hallway. They can be broken up into smaller groups if you have multiple skimpy spaces to hang them. If some have to go over the radiator, build/purchase a radiator box (very much the "thing" in the 20s anyway) to minimize the heat going up - they direct the heat OUT instead of up. You can also use the top of this to display things or use as a spot to drop off mail, keys, yadda yadda. If a rad box is out because you want to see the pretty radiator, install a shelf on brackets a few inches above the radiator, which you can then put tchotchkes on, and hang pictures above that.

I would then put the coat rack on the wall where the four prints are now, and your chair can go beneath it (I assume that's where you meant that it fits). Is the landing wall (pic 4) big enough for the mirror? It would bounce light down the stairway, which looks like it could use, but it wouldn't be in a location to scare you to death when coming down the stairs in the dark, thinking there's an intruder when it's just your reflection. (BTDT! *sheepish grin*)

There's something that makes me a little bit twitchy about the curtains on the large window. I think it's because they're bright white and it just doesn't jive with the surroundings - could you change them out, perhaps to an unbleached cotton? Country Curtains has them quite inexpensively.

• skypathway
    16 years ago

You're home is adorable. I'm not good at this as many of the other's here, but could you hang your mirror near the door hanging it so it's long and narrow? Then use springvillegarden's coat rack where the pictures hang with the chair in the corner.

Another option may be a mirror like this which incorporates mirror, hooks and a shelf. I've got the link below titled "target entry mirror with hooks".

I agree with Johnmari - if you get a cover for the radiator you can use the top as a shelf where you can keep a nice box or bowl to toss keys etc.

I wonder if you can group all those pictures together somewhere in your home - that would make quite a statement.

Sky

Here is a link that might be useful: target entry mirror with hooks

• youngdeb
    16 years ago

Gorgeous house...

I've been toying with the idea of long lines of shaker pegs in my house, it might be something for you to consider. You can stain them to match the woodwork and hang coats/hats/bags/decorative stuff from them. Very versatile, which of course is why the shakers used them absolutely everywhere.

I think Johnmari's on track with a shelf over the rad for a "landing strip" space for keys, etc.

• DYH
    16 years ago

I love your home! It has so much character. The prints intrigue me. Are those Hughson Hawley prints? If so, the prints will be signed and dated in the lower right.

Cameron

• oceanna
    16 years ago

What a darling house! Have you thought about maybe an antique hall tree? I love mine.

• bungalow_house
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks to all for the comments.

I am liking the shaker peg/radiator shelf ideas! That front hall wall is so wide, I couldn't see how to configure anything on it. Shaker pegs could go most of the way across, and then with a shelf and smaller mirror on the opposite wall, I've got all the elements that we need. I think that's what I will try. I will probably post again after I get started for refinement ideas!

And I like the idea of putting something tall (plants and/or maybe a slim cabinet?) under the stair landing window. I will play around with that a bit too.

And I will try the paper idea on the stairwell for the black prints. Cameron, I looked, they are not Hughson Hawley. If you would like more info, I will take a closeup pic of one and jot down the information for you. They are not matted, but the glass is painted black on the inside. They are lovely, but they look more like they belong in an older man's cigar-smokey study instead of my house. :)

This also reminded me that I have about a dozen or so small black and white family genealogy photos that I could use on the stairs too.

johnmarie, bungalows like this are rare here too! I searched high and low and finally settled on this one despite the fact that it was in HORRENDOUS condition. We've easily spent 100K on it already and it still needs a bit of work, but it is everything I hoped for, and I plan on living here for the long run, so it has been worth it.

oceanna, I would love a small hall tree but there just isn't enough floor space. I even impulse-purchased one at a consignment store, because it was small and I thought if anything is going to work, *this* will, but it just won't work. As you come down the stairs, it feels like you're going to bump into it. So it's in the basement waiting for craigslist.

For the curious, here are more photos of the downstairs. I have only just begun to pay attention to decorating, so stuff is still falling into place. There is a lot of just using what I already have even though it isn't exactly right (like the blue print in the living room, the curtains everywhere, lamps, blue-green dining room rug, etc.) I am certainly open to suggestions for any room!

P.S. Woodwork is many different colors at the moment. Some had to be replaced, some is already refinished, and the rest awaits refinishing. It will all be the same color someday!

• alicate
    16 years ago

http://www.ballarddesigns.com/Furniture/Armoires-Storage/Consoles-Sideboards/Newport-Demilune/p/1746?path=1%2C2%2C5%2C36%2C204&iProductID=1746

What about something like the above in wood or black with a mirror or large picture and two lamps?

• daisyadair
    16 years ago

Beautiful house, beautiful trim work. Here's what we did in my back hall where there also was no room for a "real" halltree:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

This is a very simple project to do, I think my husband got it up in just a few hours. Stain it to match your own wood work. You could have a deeper shelf than we put in, you could lower it and put a mirror above the shelf, lots of options. The hooks we put in are sturdy enough to hold my kids very heavy backpacks.

• budge1
    16 years ago

Nothing to add, just wanted to say how much I love your house. That kitchen is to die for, and the trim, and the built ins and the doors, and the columns. Yup, I love it.

• bungalow_house
    Original Author
    16 years ago

alicate, I would love to have a table or a bench, but there just isn't enough room. The distance between the newel post and the wall is about 32". Unfortunately I'm limited to whatever can hang on the wall.

daisyadair, that looks great. Thank you for posting your pics. I like the prints directly above. I will try that.

It just occurred to me that we open the front door all the way back to that wall in the summertime to take advantage of the screen door. That will have to factor in to whatever we do here as well.

• teacats
    16 years ago

Yes -- the first step would be to get covers for the radiators in your lovely home! VERY handy indeed for all rooms! :)

Here's a site -- but there are other ones too! Hope this helps!

And yes -- having the front door stand open to take advantage of the screen door would mean that you'll have to factor in that measurement when installing a series of hooks and shelf! Love the one pictured above!

Here is a link that might be useful: Radiator covers

• les917
    16 years ago

I was about to suggest radiator covers and then teacats beat me to it!

I would do a radiator cover and then mount a shelf and appropriate sized mirror over that.

I am going to be the naysayer about hooks on that wall at the bottom of the stair. You don't have a ton of space there, and that means that the bottom of the stair will look even smaller and more crowded when you have a bunch of coats hanging on the pegs or hooks.

I would use that wall for the 14 pix that you discussed. Use the upstairs wall to do the family geneology items.

By the way, I don't think the window at the top of the stairs looks high at all. It is in proportion to the upper floor. Once you hang artwork on the wall to the right of that window, it will connect with the window and make it all work together. The topiary you have there only accentuates the height of the window, as it is still taller than the top of the topiary. If you want something there, I would look for a small arts and crafts style plant stand and put a large vase or a plant with trailing ends like an ivy on the stand. Or you could stand a large vase in the corner with tall twigs and grasses coming out of it.

Your home is fabulous - I am SOOOO jealous. It feels like a place that I could just walk in and be at home.

• DYH
    16 years ago

Thank you for posting the other photos! You've got a dream of a home there! The kitchen is swoon worthy! :-)

They are lovely, but they look more like they belong in an older man's cigar-smokey study instead of my house. :)

That comment about the prints gave me a chuckle. We all get family things then struggle with them. Hang on to them, you never know when they may show up on Antiques Roadshow and be worth gazillions. :-)

Cameron

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Bungalow, would one of these work for you?

Here is a link that might be useful: Antique mirrors with hooks on eBay

• bungalow_house
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks again for all the nice comments. This is a very warm, inviting house, architecturally speaking, and I'm striving to decorate it in a complimentary way.

oceanna, thanks for that link, I really like that piece. I was hoping to use what I already have, but it may come down to buying something like that instead. I hate that I have stuff that is *close* to what I need, but not exactly right for this house. I am not a shopper, so I don't enjoy this part of decorating; and getting rid of the unwanted stuff is a drag too!

• johnmari
    16 years ago

Damn, I've gone through two towels already and I'm still drooling. Every picture's better than the one before! I love the use of french doors between rooms, and the built-in in the dining room, and I absolutely adore your kitchen (izzat a Marmoleum floor?).

Oh wait! I see from your profile that you're in southern Maine - I'm in NH, on the Maine border. So you know exactly what I mean about the rarity of bungalows around hereabouts. We also had a pathetically small budget - there were a couple of bungalows in town that weren't in hideous condition but they were 50% over our budget. With the hideous-condition ones, we couldn't afford to replace major systems, put in new foundations, etc. on top of interior things like kitchens and baths and floors plus all the "little stuff". DH's DIY skills are, shall we say, extremely minimal ;-) so they had to be eliminated.

And to be completely crass, will you email me pictures and dimensions of your hall tree? We need one so I might be interested in buying it from you if it looks right and fits in our front hall, and (of course) we can afford it. :-)

• bungalow_house
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Johnmari, you are too funny. Yes, it is Marmoleum. I love it except for the seam right down the middle of the room. I guess with darker colors it's not as noticeable?

Yes, I will try to email you the hall tree info!

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Bungalow, both for finding cool pieces and for selling the pieces you have, take a look at Craigslist in your area. You'd be amazed at what you can find, and sell there. I think of it as "trading up." You might also check out local auction houses. They get some neat pieces.

I don't know how handy you or anyone else in your house is, but you can always glue wood appliques and attach hooks onto an otherwise plain looking piece and paint it. I just happen to love some of those old mirrors surrounded by tiger-sawn oak with hooks. Sometimes it's worth splurging, especially for something that is seen from the front door. You know, first impressions and all.

Please let us know what you decide -- and send us more pics - lol!

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

Bungalow
    what a beautiful home! One of my favorites! Here is a link to a radiator company I used. They custom build and are a wonderful company. When you first open the link, that is the one I had built for my daughters room. We made it into a window seat, and it is beautiful. They can custom make any style you want, also any finish you want, it's more like a piece of furniture.. Ree

Here is a link that might be useful: wooden radiator cabinet company