Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julize_gw

Which bridge faucet would you pick?

julize
12 years ago

Faucet #1 (Elements of Design) is about $440 cheaper than #2 (Perrin & Rowe) but I know nothing about the company or brand. We've looked at similar styles from Whitehaus, Chicago Faucets, Danze, Cifial, Blanco, Grohe, Moen, American Standard and Kohler but these are the two styles that keep rising to the top (Whitehaus is a close third). The link to Faucet #1 is below. I'll post a reply in just a second with the link to Faucet #2.

Any thoughts or opinions? Which design do you prefer? Anyone have experience with company number one?

Thanks so much!

Here is a link that might be useful: Faucet #1

Comments (21)

• julize
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's the second link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Faucet #2

• ptamom
    12 years ago

More info needed. Can you show a kitchen pic or at least describe cabs, counter material, and overall style of your room? Thanks, julize!

• misntroya
    12 years ago

Do you want a sprayer, or not? Faucet #1 has a sprayer. Faucet #2 can't, because it only has the 2 legs. Just 1 week ago I went through the same situation between 2 and 3 legged bridge faucets. The water for the sprayer is diverted to the middle leg. I went with the 2 legged version without a sprayer, as the 3 legs just looks too bulky for me. But I'm sorry I can't answer your other question about company #1.

• julize
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sure. The cabinets will be white inset and the countertops will most likely be soapstone. It's a small kitchen and we'll be going with a single-bowl, undermount sink (probably a Ticor in brushed stainless steel). We haven't chosen hardware yet but I'm leaning toward either chrome or oil-rubbed bronze knobs. The finish on the faucet itself would be polished chrome. Flooring will be hardwood (either dark or red oak--we haven't decided yet) and appliances will be stainless. Does this help?

• julize
    Original Author
    12 years ago

misntroya--that's a good point. I just realized the sprayer isn't shown on the link I provided but it's on the company's website, so I assume it must be possible? Here's the link that shows the sprayer:

Here is a link that might be useful: Sprayer for Faucet #2

• rococogurl
    12 years ago

Some people don't want/have a sprayer but I must say I could never be without out. I would not buy any faucet today without a sprayer.

However, a good deal depends on the sink.

Additionally, the first manufacturer is little known while Rohl is one of the top high end brands. So these two faucets aren't really going to be comparable, just as the prices are not.

There are so many good quality faucets at various price points I think there are more choices.

But it's also important to ask why you eliminated other brands and honed in on these two?

• sayde
    12 years ago

You can get faucet #2 (the Perrin & Rowe) with a matching sprayer. It is model 4764. I have it with the sprayer in chrome.

• julize
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sayde -- just wondering, are you happy with the Perrin & Rowe? Do you feel like it was worth the added expense? We're looking at the model with a slightly shorter spout (4756) but otherwise the same. Thx

• babushka_cat
    12 years ago

Another option to consider: you can get faucet in the link i pasted below and order it with the levers as opposed to cross handles. it ends up looking very similar to your option 2 but at about 1/2 the cost. the only thing that is missing is the little decorative top. i was planning to purchase faucet #2 but ended up ordering the one i recommended instead. it is not yet installed but i have the faucet and it is lovely!

http://www.irawoods.com/Rohl-A1459LM-Country-Kitchen-Deck-Mounted-Bridge-Faucet-w-Metal-Lever-Handles-Low-Lead

• artemis78
    12 years ago

This may or may not help, but our old wall-mount faucet was Elements of Design oil-rubbed bronze (new in 2007, installed by PO as part of a cheap kitchen facelift) and it held up horribly---the ORB finish was basically painted on and was coming off by the time we demoed last winter to reveal huge streaks of steel underneath. This may not be as much of an issue with a non-ORB finish, but we replaced it with a Chicago Faucets wall-mount in the same style and are pretty blown away by how much better quality the Chicago Faucets one is in terms of metal, handles, operation, etc. (and that's not even an especially pricey brand). So something to weigh in your decision!

• senator13
    12 years ago

I was going to get a Chicago Faucet, but they don't have them in oil rubbed bronze. They do have them in chrome, so I think that would be a great bet for you.

I bought the Danze Oppulence 4 hole which is pretty popular on this forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Danze

• kmcg
    12 years ago

I like both your options, but I think the fewer points of contact with the counter, the better. (less area for gunk to accumulate) So I would look for one that has 2 holes instead of 3, as long as it's available with a sprayer. I don't see the point of spending $$ on a good faucet if you can't get a sprayer.

Not to hijack, but I am also trying to figure out whether I would love a bridge faucet. I do love the look for my traditional kitchen, but I'm kind of used to a single control. For those who already have faucets that have hot and cold handles or levers instead of a single control, has the inconvenience of two handles been an issue at all?

• SusieQusie60
    12 years ago

I like the second one better...for what are probably obvious reasons. It looks pretty similar to mine. And yes, I do have a sprayer even with the 2 legs, and no, I don't find having 2 handles to be in anyway inconvenient. I had a single control before and I had no problem adjusting.

Faucet is one of my favorite parts of my new kitchen!

• ptamom
    12 years ago

Having given it some thought, with your soapstone and Americana feel, the chrome is just too shiny. If it was brushed nickle or pewter I would say yes. I have to lean toward the copper or something else.

• artemis78
    12 years ago

@kmcg, I love having two handles---and thought we'd hate it when we first moved into our house. Instead, we chose the same style faucet for the remodel! We do have our hot water heater set at a pretty moderate temperature (enough for nice hot showers but low enough that it can't scald). So that means we can (and do) turn just the hot tap on when we want warm water, and just the cold tap on for cold. I rarely mix the two unless I'm running a big sink full of water for something or need lukewarm water for bread, so it effectively functions as a single handle faucet for most uses. If you keep your heater on a higher setting, you'd probably be mixing the two more. Our new faucet also has levers on the top of the faucet (like the two here), whereas the old one had cross handles on the front. I prefer the cross handles aesthetically and had fully intended to replace the levers (which just happened to be what came with our model faucet, since unlike most of the Chicago faucets in only came in one version...yay California regulations!) But I've found I really prefer the levers functionally, so we're keeping them. We have a bungalow-style kitchen, so the traditional look fits in nicely with the aesthetic (mix of white inset and gray frameless, soapstone counters, and white cast iron sink).

• kmcg
    12 years ago

Thanks for the thoughts on levers. I, too, like the look of old-school cross handles, but levers come in so handy when prepping a chicken!

• brickton
    12 years ago

Okay I don't know this for a fact, but I'm pretty darn sure that Kingston Brass and Elements of Design are the same company / same product. If you look at a KS1171 vs a ES1171 (KB v EoD) they look like the same thing.

That said, I have bought a Kingston Brass bronze faucet and it was garbage. I knew from the price that I wasn't getting a solid brass last 100 years masterpiece but I was hoping for better than the finish chipping off in the first 3 months, leaking in the first 8 months and getting so gunked up in the nozzle that it had to be replaced in under a year.

We replaced with a Grohe Bridgeford that we bought on eBay. It was also crazy cheap but Grohe is supposed to be a good brand and I think we got maybe a discontinued model color or something? We're very happy with it. They have some chrome ones listed for about $100 on eBay right now.. and we're pretty darn sure ours is a legit Grohe (original box, all sealed pieces, legit paperwork, etc.)

Lever Faucet:

Cross handles

• kmcg
    12 years ago

brickton - Do you know if you can get a side sprayer with that Grohe faucet? I saw it yesterday and it looks great for the price, but I'd really like a sprayer.

• sayde
    12 years ago

julize, I like the Perrin & Rowe very much. It feels solid and works well. I can't tell if it is really worth the difference- I really did not do a lot of comparison shopping. There are threads on what makes a good faucet and I think the bottom line was, so long as it is brass and has ceramic washers, it should be good. I'm sure that there are other faucets that are just as durable as the Perrin & Rowe. But the ones I happened to look at were just not in the same league as far as look and feel. I'm very happy with it so far.

• Jody
    12 years ago

I vote for the Perrin & Rowe ... I have seen that in a showcase store and it is gorgeous!!!!