Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flora2_gw

Skylights vs solartubes

flora2
10 years ago

I am remodeling my master bathroom and one thing I know is that we need more light in that room--it looks like a cave during the daytime. Anyway, this is an expensive remodel and I have been wondering about my options. I love the idea of solar tubes (less expensive, a much quicker project, etc) but I am afraid it might "cheapen" the final look of the remodel. Am I being silly?
Thanks a lot for your input

Comments (17)

• Fori
    10 years ago

Solar tubes don't look cheaper than skylights to me. They just look different. I think you have to evaluate it on how it fits into the room. To me, a skylight is more of a window wannabe while a solar tube is a strange alien sunlight teleporter. Both are good, but they are different!

But they don't look cheap.

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    10 years ago

We put a solatube in our cave-dark (no windows and next to a dark hallway) main bathroom. It's the best!!! It brightened up the bathroom amazingly. It does look kind of odd when you see it popping up from the roof, but from the inside it's just a nice light coming from the ceiling :-)

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I agree with fori. I have both in my house. The 14" solatube is at the junction of an L-shaped, interior hallway. It transformed it from a dark murky space into a walkway bathed in light. If you want light, this is the way to go.

I have a skylight in my living room (same company). I wanted more light, but I also wanted a window and a shot of the sky. It was sort of a compromise. A lot more money. I can also open it up and it comes with a shade since it's on the sunny side of the house. I never use the shade. :)

They are two completely different looks. Think of function, the kind of light they bring. I think solatubes are better at bringing the light. Because my skylight is in a vaulted ceiling, i.e., you see more of it on a vertical plane, I decided I didn't think I would care for the look of solatubes on the ceiling of my living room. But it might have turned out okay. Function comes first.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I've had my solatube for 13 years and I still sometimes reach for the light switch to turn it off.

• hilltop_gw
    10 years ago

Ditto what others have said about the amount of light a solartube brings. Our powder room and laundry room have no windows so we installed a 14" Velux sun tunnel in each. During the day I do not have to turn on a light fixture.

Can't speak for skylights. My impression is they add a bit more interest to the room than a solartube but would also be a concern for cleaning and potential moisture leaks.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Solatubes are much more energy efficient that sky lights.

• withoutanh
    10 years ago

We have one in our main bath that is also a light fixture and ceiling fan. My only regret is that we didn't put the same thing in the guest bath, which is small and dark. We also have solatubes in the DR, hallway, and LR as well as a skylight in the DR. They serve different functions. The skylight is the main source of natural light in the DR and the solatubes illuminate specific dark areas. I'm very happy with both.

Sara

• localeater
    10 years ago

The thing about bedrooms is.... we use them to sleep. And, a lot of people like it dark when they sleep. I love natural light and I am a self proclaimed natural light junkie, but having slept in a bedroom with skylights without window coverings I dont want them in my bedroom. So when you are making your choice about solartubes v. skylights please consider how you will sleep, and the cost and aesthetics of covering your preferred option.

• flora2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for your responses. I saw one picture in which the solar tube looked square (at least from the inside of the room) and I found it a little bit less confusing (looked more like a skylight) so maybe that is an option. My primary concern is to bring light into that room and I am not too worried about the light waking me up because we have a pocket door that could be closed and that would take care of the problem. I feel more reassured about the option of using a solar tube after all your feedback. Thanks so much.
    Now, the question is to do the research and find out which brand to go with...

• amykath
    10 years ago

I can see the benefits of the solatube but sometimes they look like a large can light to me. My friend's husband put one in their living room, right above where he sits to watch tv and my friend hates it. I have sat there before and it is an odd placement.

If I had to choose I would go with a skylight or a square solatube.... never have seen them but sounds cool. However, I guess I am just a lover of a more slightly lit home.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I also think solatubes are less prone to leaking and ice damming if that's a concern for your area.

We put them in interior spaces....the laundry room and the dressing area...I don't think I'd like it in a formal space, mainly because I want to be able to control the light.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

I'm considering putting one or two of the solatubes in the ceiling of my studio, which is a finished bonus room over the garage. The room will have the sloped ceilings and long bowling alley type space associated with attic rooms. Finished space will be 16'x35'.
    I have a window at each end but fear the interior space in the middle will not get enough natural light.

Anyway, all this to say I've been researching them, and the Solatube brand has a daylight dimmer option with built in baffles that let you control the amount of light.
    They also have a light add-on kit option, either LED or incandescent bulbs.
    I figure since they're going to look like can lights maybe they can act like can lights and I can forgo one of the florescent ceiling fixtures that I abhor.

Here is a link that might be useful: add_on_kits

• arlosmom
    10 years ago

A nice thing about a skylight though, is that you can install one that is operable with a remote control. I think either will add a LOT of wonderful light.

• housefairy
    10 years ago

I'm going to be the dissenter. To me they look like oversized can lights. If you are doing this remodel for future resale put in an operable sky light. I don't think future buyers would appreciate and look at that as a bonus towards paying more for a home. The other side is they are probably better about not having to worry about leaks or snow penetrating the structure.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

housefairy, you are right, they do look like oversized can lights. That's one of the reasons I didn't put any in my living room, especially with the vaulted ceilings whose angle makes them more visible.

However, in a hallway or more utilitarian room (office, workroom), the look doesn't matter so much. I don't get snow where I live, but there have been zero leaks in 13 years. My next-door neighbors have at least 7 solatubes in their house with no leaks from any of them. They are a good product, solidly made.

• User
    10 years ago

I totally agree that solatubes look like an oversized can light.

I like the one I have in my hallway, but I'm not sure I'd want it in a living room. Different people certainly have different perspectives on that too though.

I like skylights because you can open them. But they have a certain "look" to them too - and yes, I agree they would probably be more prone to leaking.