Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beverly14_gw

Show me your kitchen floor (Tiles Please)

beverly14
14 years ago

I have to pick my tile this week and I am lost on which flooring to choose.

My cabinets are Kraftmaid canvas with cocoa glaze and my island is cherry autumn blush.

I will have hardwood in DR which opens up into the kitchen!

Thanks!!

Comments (9)

• Jean Farrell
    14 years ago

We have Mexican Saltillo floors. You will find a lot of detractors on this site, but I adore them.

• plllog
    14 years ago

The cabinets are just going in now, but here's the floor. :)

Thanks for giving me the kick I needed to start processing these. :D

• cncnh
    14 years ago

Ahhhh.... tile! I lost many a nights sleep over my tile selection. There are hundreds if not thousands of choices! Take your time if you can. It's easy to get overwhelmed. Bring the tile samples to your house. Look at them next to your cabinetry, countertops, and adjacent flooring. My tile looks totally different in my house than it did in the shop.

By the way, we put warming mats under the tile so it won't be cold. It was my prerequisite for going with tile!

Here's my yet-to-be-finished mudroom with my tile. I wanted a real stone look and definitely wanted a rectangular tile for the pattern. I ended up with Naxos Pietra Sacra in celio. It's a warm taupey brown with a lot of variation. I will tone down the grout for the kitchen. This grout turned out much lighter than I wanted. Good luck!

{{!gwi}}

• rbsohio
    14 years ago

Don't know if you can see our floor tiles well enough in this photo. Our cabinets are maple; granite is typhoon bordeaux.

From New kitchen
    From New kitchen

• Laurie
    14 years ago

Porcelain tile 18" x 18". Cabinets are maple with a chestnut stain.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

Laurie, again I LOVE your tile and when I am ready to do my kitchen, I am going to find a Lowe's that sells the tile.

I am going to have to buy two reducers for my floors right now in the kitchen due to having Linoleum there. But I am not ready to remove that flooring until I buy a new dishwasher which looks like it has to wait until next year.

How thick is the tile? I wish I could buy it now, since I have a feeling it will need a T-molding with my wood floors and then I will have to remove the reducers and buy T-moldings. I wish now I went with bigger tile in my foyer areas since I am finding out how much I dislike grout even when it is an Epoxy type of grout.

Since I lost most of my old email when my hard drive died at 3:15 PM on 06-15-09, will you let me know the exact name of the time, so I can print it and save it to my new hard drive?

• Buehl
    14 years ago

We have cherry cabinets, mandarin orange stain, coffee glaze cabinets. Our floors are a beige porcelain tile, 20"x20".

This is the best I can find in my "finished" pics of the floor w/cabinet:

Here's one from when we were still choosing components...

And one b/f the cabinets went in...

Here is a link that might be useful: Emser Vecchia Corte Glazed Porcelain Tile

• Laurie
    14 years ago

lynn2006 - We purchased the tile from Lowes in April 2008. I believe it's made by a company called Master Tile. It's called Pietra Series/Bone. It was $2.45 per sq.ft. It is not rectified. The grout is Keracolor U Ivory #39.

We installed the tile on top of our old sheet linoleum which was securely glued down & not peeling up anywhere. DH figures our Lauzon engineered wood flooring will need t moldings as opposed to reducers in the two openings where the tile meets the wood. He's prepared to use reducers if it ends up better that way..we'll have to wait & see. Wood should be delivered next Friday, hopefully.

The thickness of the porcelain tile is 1/4".

• tonyg3
    14 years ago