Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2littlefishies

Bar/Desk Not Symmetrical- Does it bother you?? HELP!

2LittleFishies
11 years ago

For those not familiar with our plans...

Our 16x12 dining area is attached to our kitchen & will have 16' of wall that we are doing an 8' banquette bench in the center surrounded by 4' each of built-ins.

I'm having trouble getting the function of what I want with keeping the design symmetrical.

Does this bother you?

The LEFT SIDE will be my Organizational/Desk area so the kitchen counter doesn't have to continue to have small piles of magazines, school papers, bills, invitations, etc.. on it. Also, my laptop and phone charging, etc...

The doors are so I can close my mess off from guests and even myself when I don't want the clutter. (I hate clutter but if there's not a spot for things it's hard to avoid!)

The RIGHT SIDE is a bar area (no sink) for barware, liquor, ice bucket, linens in drawer, beverage fridge, etc. I like having a countertop there so we can even put food on it or pitchers of drinks during mealtime.

Anyway, the only thing that bothers me is that the sides are not symmetrical. Does that bother you? Any suggestions? It would be ideal if both sides were the same and I could even put my china and other serving pieces in the 2nd side... however, I need an organizational spot and can't find a place for it!

HELP!

Here is our first floor and other plans:

Some of the measurements here have changed but just for an idea...

Thanks so much- framing has started and I know it's time to firm up these decisions!

Comments (25)

• ginzing
    11 years ago

My architect has a similar set up with cabinets of the same width flanking a doorway in her hallway/bar. She has different refrigeration units in the base cabinets. On the upper part of the cabinet she put full length doors with a linear glass, that keeps the look airy while obscuring the clutter inside. It's a great look. I think if you put the same material on both sides of the cabinets the look would be more cohesive. Either all wood, or an obscuring glass. They wouldn't have to be the same length, just of the same material.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bendheim EcoGlass� Pyramid

• labbie
    11 years ago

I am no design expert, but to me it looks balanced and the bench seat in the middle offers enough of a "buffer" between the two zones which are symmetrical in size/shape and overall design if not 100% matched in terms of features. Imho, you are making the most of the space you have, and will be happier living in a kitchen with the features that you want and will use in your day to day life.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

You could panel the backsplash on the right side to match the cabinets especially since there is no sink there and it would reduce the asymmetry.

Also you could see if the dividing rail on the long cabinet could line up with the bottom rail on the right side cabinet.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks-

pal- you mean instead of a tile backsplash to use a cabinet panel for the backsplash? And, by dividing rail that would be the "countertop". Yes, I thought they should both be the same height and same material.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Maybe getting rid of the glass on the right side would also help?

• 1929Spanish
    11 years ago

I did not notice. I think that as long as form is not insulting, function should take precedence.

You have designed a lovely kitchen with a variety of cabinets that suit your needs.

• ginzing
    11 years ago

The asymmetry, and the function of the design is very good, 2LittleFishies. I wouldn't worry about that. I'm intrigued by the use of paneling for the back of the bar. I do see that you are using tile in other parts of the kitchen, so I'm sure that will tie it into the overall look as well. I just wanted to share the idea of the obscuring glass. My cabinets are always a mess, so that is functional for me. As everyone says, you should do what makes you happy! I'm in the design process, too, and the devil is in the details!

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

The dividing rail is the one toward the top of the cabinet doors that come all the way to the counter. I would see if they could line that up with the bottom of the glass doored cabinet doors.

• aliris19
    11 years ago

Apologies if someone said this already... any chance to make the glass fronts on the right match those on the left, the overall design that is (I think the ones on the left are not glass, right?) -- so what about, say, losing the lower-third horizontal piece on the glass cabinets so it mimics the vertical asymmetry on the left. Is that making sense???

Pal -- good eye! Those dividing rails are off, aren't they. On the right I think they have to be because that thing in the lower right must be an appliance of some sort. But on the left? If the one on the left is also an appliance and therefore immutable, maybe ... I just know designers wouldn't like this because I've learned by now they are *really* into symmetry... but what if you did line up those dividing rails on both sides. That would leave the uppers not the same width; the outside uppers right and left would both be larger than their counterpart cabinet. You could fudge them, maybe, to be the same asymmetrcial dimensions inner-outer and then they would also be asymmetrcial vertically (up-down). I think it might look cool and would emphasize the symmetry across the bench seat. So make that lower left cabinet the same width as the lower right appliance, line uppers on top of the lowers on both sides and mimic the pattern of the left pair of uppers in the right pair of glass-uppers.

Or ... maybe -- what sort of cabinet doors are they? Is that molding making the pattern? If so you could add a pattern in the middle of the expanse on the pair of left uppers so it matches the pattern of the right upper glass. Alternatively, especially if these are shaker fronts, you could have the glass in the cabinets be more arts/crafts style, maybe with the nine lites, small around the outside.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the comments! I have to read through them again to make sure I am understanding.

Just wanted to clarify that the lowers on the left side has a file drawer (I assume they have to be a certain width?) and then regular drawers & door.

On the Right lowers is the bev fridge.

Are the sizes of the fridge and file drawer the reason the dividing rail isn't lined up?

We haven't really specified the style of the doors yet or of those 2 glass doors. I think he just put them there for now. Same with the 2 in the kitchen surrounding the hood. I may just make them plain glass. Any thoughts?
    *The kitchen window over sink is a picture window (no grilles) surrounded by casements with grilles. *The DR bay window is a picture (no grilles) surrounded by double hungs with grilles.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kitchen window over sink:

• marcolo
    11 years ago

What are the countertops in that area? You could make sure that a bit of the countertop material peeks out on the left when the doors are closed.

Also is the setup on the right "enclosed" like a hutch, with a panel/wall to the right and left of the open counter area? I think that's an important thing to consider, because otherwise your banquette ends with a panel on the left and open space on the right if you don't.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Just thinking outside the box (or off the wall) ...

the different materials bother me, but so does the different cabinet heights.

Can you make the left side have an upper cabinet that matches the height of the one on the right and then do something else to obscure the bottom, like retracting doors (do they do roll tops???)

Nothing says the big cabinet door has to be on the bottom.

Or you could have them as a single door, but look like 2 different doors that open

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

marcolo- I think I'm doing white cabinetry with walnut countertops so yes, definitely having the countertops show on both sides would be good. Also to the best of my knowledge both sides will be against a wall so both ends will be closed in.

Annie- Some great ideas! I wonder if I did that on the left if I should also do it on the right so they would both look the same when closed? I think the bar side might always be open though so maybe not worth it. However, doing that on the left so that both uppers are the same height would help I think.

My left cabinet was to have those upper doors slide into the unit. I wonder if I put separate doors in the "middle" section as you suggest if those could slide in as well?

• bmorepanic
    11 years ago

I think I would ask for doors that slid into the unit or two hinged together that opened to the left or started with a lift door. I know you're seeing art and reminders pinned to the cork board. I'm seeing cabinet door opening at head height to anyone seated on the bench.

I would wish for a paneled drink or wine ref. I don't think one of those dark tinted glass doors is adding anything to the decor.

On your sink elevation, consider doing drawers instead of pull outs next to the ref. The way that cabinet plays out is that it can't be used if someone is using the ref - or if it is, it's likely someone will open the ref door anyway and the ref door and/or cabinet door will become dented. It's also likely to be a real pita when the dishwasher is open.

Try out looking at television where its base is 6 feet up in the air before committing to that cabinet over the ref. The only people who can see it will be those seated at the island and it just seems kinda high.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks bmorepanic-
    Are you referring to if we do what Annie mentioned by adding a middle door so that the top doors on the l and r sides of the banquette would be the same size?

Good thought on the paneled beverage fridge.

Yes, I already changed the pullouts to drawers next to the main fridge but don't have an updated picture yet : ) Thanks!

A spot for the TV has been an issue throughout but this seemed the only option as most disliked putting it in an appliance garage next to fridge as shown here... You can see we also removed the non-functioning trim kit so that the cab above fridge could be larger.

The kids will view it from island more than likely and I'll use it mostly for "listening". Another spot is above double ovens but that's on the opposite side and no one at island would really see it. (It would be better for me when prepping food though)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

We put our TV above the fridge and DH uses it all the time as it's opposite the island. He sits there and watches the news every a.m. with breakfast while he reads the paper. It is behind retractable doors so I don't have to look at it all the time. It's not where we watch TV all the time, but while we "watch" or rather "listen" while we do other things, so the height isn't an issue. He wanted that very much....like the TVs in bars...they're there to watch if you want, but don't interfere when you're doing other things. And the space above the fridge is difficult to access so it's not giving up valuable cabinet space.

FYI, the smaller doors in the pic I posted above are retractable....they hide the microwave.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Also to the best of my knowledge both sides will be against a wall so both ends will be closed in.

I'm not sure I'm making myself clear.

On the left, the cabinetry will be entirely enclosed, top to bottom, with the side of the panel separating it from the bench.

On the right, it looks like the countertop area will be open, with no separation between it and the bench.

In other words, sitting on the bench on one side, you could hold out your hand sideways and it would hit the side of your desk area. Move to sit on the other side, reach in the other direction, and your hand will float over the open counter with no panel to stop it.

If that's the way it works now, I wouldn't do it that way. I'd make sure the open counter space is closed and paneled on all three sides--bench side, back side, and right wall side, like a hutch.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks!

***What about the DEPTH of the cabinetry? The bev fridge requires 24" (do fridge drawers require same?)... so cabinetmaker said he'd make the base cabs 24" deep on both sides being we need it for the fridge. However, he also has the uppers 24" deep on both sides assuming b/c the piece on the left is shown as an armoire look which would all be the same depth). However, I'd prefer the uppers not be so much into the space.
    Would it work for the organizational area (left) to have the uppers be 18" or 20" deep and then do the same for the bar area uppers?

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

marcolo- I'm with you now. YES, I believe it is as you say but will make sure that "the open counter space is closed and paneled on all three sides--bench side, back side, and right wall side, like a hutch." Thanks!

• marcolo
    11 years ago

I like the idea of recessing the uppers a bit. Less imposing and will block less light.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Are fridge drawers good for a bar area as far as storage for wine, cans, etc? Do they come in pairs? Wondering if that's a route I should go down or stick to the beverage fridge. What size are they usually?

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

How does this compare? The Cab maker put a door in the middle of the organizational area on the left and a paneled "backsplash" on the bar side so both sides would look more similar.
    Also changed to paneled refrigerated drawers on the right side, but I think now I should have drawers on the left side instead of the door that is there...

The uppers on both sides are 18" deep.

Lastly, I think getting rid of the glass on the right may look better???

• maggieq
    11 years ago

For more symmetry on the lowers, you could use "fake" drawer panels on the door on the left to make it look like your refer drawers on the right.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Do you think I should leave the glass in the right upper cabs for the bar area?

If so, I cheaped out by not spending the $400 to have lights in there with dimmer, and am wondering if I should have them throw that in before it gets sealed up.