Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
farmhousegirl_gw

How to get rid of big furniture???

farmhousegirl
13 years ago

How do you guys get rid of the big stuff when you redecorate? Seems like the charity organizations never want anything big anymore. I'm not organized enough to do a garage sale...and it's getting cold here in the northeast.

Should I Craigslist it?...putting FREE as the price?

Any success with this?

Comments (19)

• folkvictorian
    13 years ago

Yes, use Craigslist and put it in the "Free" listings. Be sure to add a statement as to whether you will deliver it or not and if you'll help load it or not, since you WILL get requests for anything and everything. Also, get a firm commitment as to if/when they'll show up to get it. Some folks can be awfully flaky about keeping their word.

• rafor
    13 years ago

Post a pic. Maybe someone on here would come get it!!

• Sueb20
    13 years ago

A friend of mine just had the Salvation Army pick up a sofa and loveseat at her house, so I guess some organizations will still do that.

Or see if you have Freecycle in your area?

• pammyfay
    13 years ago

Some of the charity groups that help people get their own apartments or homes actually want furniture. They're hard to find, but many of them work with churches and other worship-based groups.

• htnspz
    13 years ago

If free doesn't work on Craigslist, put it on for like $20 or something. Sometimes people don't respond to free for some reason.

• Carol_from_ny
    13 years ago

I my neck of the woods if something is in good condition and you put it out to the curb with a free sign on it chances are it won't be there for more than a hour or two!

• annzgw
    13 years ago

What condition is it in? Could you go with a consignment shop?

• jakabedy
    13 years ago

We had to get rid of quite a bit when we moved. A nice leather sofa, a sage chenille loveseat, a floral arm chair and ottoman, four skirted parson's chairs. All of these things were nice. I kept dropping the pric on CL until I got rid of all but the parsons' chairs. I took those to a local consignment shop, which turned out to be a nightmare. I went in and saw that they had sold. I gave my "ticket" to the employee and she said for me to call back because the owner was out. A few more visits and calls and the owner saying"I already paid you" and then "well it was somebody who looks like you". I eventually wrote a nasty letter threatening small claims court and got my money. By the time they sold they had been marked down to half (my theory was it was a friend of the owner who wanted them, so they got "held" until the price reduction).

So, consider consignment, but be aware that sometimes these are not run terribly well. Also, if you know of anyone who has kids going off to college, or getting their own places, they can always use nice older furniture.

• hoosiergirl
    13 years ago

St. Vincent de Paul takes furniture/appliances.

• ghoghunter
    13 years ago

I gave away an entire living room set on Freecycle. A very nice couple came and took the sofa, loveseat and chair.
    Joann

• pharaoh
    13 years ago

I dont even bother with thrift shops anymore.

Just put it on CL and leave it on the curb. It is gone before you can blink your eyes!

• bonnieann925
    13 years ago

Recently I got rid of some big pieces (one big curio cabinet and a huge desk). I listed them on Craig's List under FREE and also listed them on Freecycle.com
    Both went the weekend they were listed!

• texanjana
    13 years ago

The Salvation Army picks up everything here except they don't take desks.

• Meghane
    13 years ago

My friend started a now-traditional furniture burning party when every charity he contacted refused his old sofa. It was really fun.

• gwbr54
    13 years ago

Depending on where you are in the Northeast, Mission of Deeds may be an option for you. They pick up items.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mission of Deeds

• neetsiepie
    13 years ago

Our thrift shops won't take upholstered furniture...yet for some reason I always see it in their stores. Hmmm?

CL is the easiest way to get rid of big stuff you don't want to be bothered with. Everything else I take to charity for the tax deduction.

• loribee
    13 years ago

Ditto- end of our street...in an hour it's gone and I feel good that someone else can use it!

• camlan
    13 years ago

Salvation Army in my area is very, very picky about what they will take.

If you can get the furniture to the curb, trying putting it out there and then posting a "Curb Alert" on Craigslist in the Free section. Just tell people what is out there, with maybe a picture if it's easy for you, and let them know whoever gets there first with a vehicle large enough to cart it away has it.

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

I agree, look into charities that help set up people in need into apartments, etc. They took our old (but still very functional) coiltop electric range and refrigerator. They came to pick it up, too.

Another place is Habitat for Humanity Re-Store if you have one near you. If they can't take it, they may be able to recommend someone who can.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm