Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drjoann

Extending Wall Color to Tray Ceiling

drjoann
13 years ago

Our new home is nearly done & we got to see it last week (doing a remote build in Upstate SC while living in Houston). When we met with the "paint lady" back in July, I thought we had discussed carrying the wall color (SW Peacock Blue from Jazz Age collection) up onto the ceiling, but not into the tray. Basically, the outer edge of the tray would be peacock.

It didn't get done that way & I think it would be better the way I had it planned. What do y'all think?

Thanks - Jo Ann

Comments (18)

• redecor8
    13 years ago

Tray ceilings lose some of their drama when they aren't defined properly with paint.

• nhb22
    13 years ago

I am from Upstate SC - Anderson, but live in TN. Where is your home?

Normally, I would agree, but I am not sure with this room (very pretty BTW) having the high wainscoting. Maybe it's the angle of the photograph, or maybe it's the dark paint, but I like the way the ceiling looks as is. Do you have a wider angle photo?

The cream painted covered entrance... what does that lead to?

• drjoann
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Our house is in TR with the neighborhood bordering on Paris Mtn. Silly us didn't take any wide angle photos. We kick ourselves everytime we get home & say "I wish I had a picture of ..."

Here is another view looking back the other way toward the foyer.

This picture captures the French doors that open out onto the stone front terrace. The stuff sitting in the corener is the dining room chandy. I think we may need to wait until the chandy gets hung to have a better idea of what we should do.

That cream painted entrance is a barrel arch that has a little butler's pantry tuck into it. Here is a picture of the butler's pantry from the kitchen.

It's been a real effort to pick colors, hardware, fixtures, etc. & only get to see it sporadically. There are lots of things that I think we will have to live with for a while before making decisions.

Thanks for the inputs - Jo Ann

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

hey Jo Ann, the place is looking great from what you showed in the photos. I'm sorry I can't offer any advice to you about the tray though. Although I do recall from looking at photos, that I always love it when there is color up there, somewhere.

We need some kitchen photos over on Kitchen forum!

-Bee

• cardamon
    13 years ago

Looks so nice as it is. I'd put up the chandy and see how it feels later. You must have so many decisions. Yes, pictures in the kitchen forum and don't forget the butler's pantry!!

• drjoann
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the advice. As much as I would like to get it done, now. It is probably best to wait until after we move in.

I did put up some pictures in the kitchen forum. Thanks for asking.

Jo Ann

• annzgw
    13 years ago

I'd paint it..........and preferable before you move in so one doesn't have to work around furnishings.

I painted the tray ceilings in both my MBath and DR the same as the wall color. It makes the molding on the edge of the tray stand out.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I think the paint would make a nice frame for the tray and since it is a dining room with a tall ceiling, it would make it feel cozy as well. It really would look great either way, but I think the added color would be more dramatic.
    Since you do not have full walls of the color, it gives you more license to put it up there as well.

• caminnc
    13 years ago

Maybe this will help
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• nhb22
    13 years ago

Sorry I am just coming back to the thread. Sunday always seems to go by so fast with church taking up half the day. ;-)

OK, for some reason I thought your room was a bedroom. I like the 1st mock-up that caminnc did for you, but think it makes the ceiling look low. Can you skip painting that part, and go up to the next level?

Here's what I did in my bedroom and my study. For the study, we waited until after we had moved in to realize that it needed paint. Only took an hour for the painter to finish it off.

TR???? Gosh, I haven't heard about Paris Mt. since my friend and I skipped school in 11th grade and went there for the day. :-) My mother was waiting for me at the door when I returned home. OOPS!

• caminnc
    13 years ago

I knew I forgot one.
    {{!gwi}}

• nhb22
    13 years ago

If it can be done...that's it!

• caminnc
    13 years ago

Sorry I accidently deleted the first two pictures. Here they are again.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• caminnc
    13 years ago

One more
    {{!gwi}}

• User
    13 years ago

I prefer the original one, more elegant imo.

• caminnc
    13 years ago

I think I prefer the original one also but I would love to see the fabric that will be in the room. It could make a difference IMO.

• nhb22
    13 years ago

If she wants to paint any part of the ceiling, it should be the very top, but I agree that it should be left alone.

• drjoann
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow! Thanks for all the responses and the photoshopping. I kinda dropped out of the loop on Sunday, too.

I forgot to mention that the ceiling is at 10' and the tray goes up to 11' with the rope lighting tucked into the crown molding at the 10' level. The tray comes in 2' from the walls on all sides. The room is 13' x 15.5' and the doors are 8' high. One of the reasons I thought about painting the 10' portion of the ceiling peacock is to make it feel a bit cozier. The problem with doing the inner part of the tray in peacock it that it might swallow up the effect of the rope lighting.

I wish I knew what I was doing with fabrics, as well. We don't have a rug in our current dining room, so I figured we would find a rug we like and then take it from there. I plan to make drapes to pull across the French doors for privacy since the DR is at the front of the house. I will also recover the dining room chairs once I have the other stuff figure out.

Here is a picture of the chandelier. It may just dominate the space & I won't want to do anything else.

Also, I thought I would include a picture of the house (screened porch on back right isn't done, yet), just so you got the "flavor".

We don't mind doing the painting ourselves after we move in. DH suggested we get some foam board, cut it into 2' wide pieces, paint it peacock and then tape it up there to see what we think.

The only furniture in the room besides the table & chairs will be a 1930's (I think - bought it 2nd hand & never got the full story) mahogany sideboard with low hutch that has very square, clean lines. Ideas for fabrics, etc. would be greatly appreciated. The great room is camel and the hallways are the same color but 1/4 strength. The nearby powder room is also peacock and I plan to stencil a very large peacock on the wall in gold which is inspired by Whistler's Peacock Room at the Freer Gallery in DC.

Here is a link that might be useful: Large Peacock Stencil

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH