Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellic_gw

New bathroom counters! and a question

KelliC
10 years ago

I was waiting for some help with this, but my parents kept giving me excuses and I decided to do it on my own.

This was the bathroom during home inspection. It has a skylight as well so I get a lot of natural light, but the ceiling was painted the same beige.
{{!gwi}}
{{!gwi}}

This was my bathroom after I took away the shower doors and painted.

{{!gwi}}

And now, today's process:
{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

I'm in love! They're Magickwoods cultured granite in walnut. I got them on sale at Menards, $250 for both the 36" and a 48" for my master bath.

Now for the question. Before the sink had a built in backsplash that went all the way up to the mirror. Now I have some space. I have two options. I could paint this the teal, or I could do some tiles. This is how much space I have:
{{!gwi}}
{{!gwi}}

What kind of tiles would you guys put here and what size?

Comments (24)

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I think I would just paint it and call it a day....I think it will look odd to have such a narrow strip of tile.

• Fori
    10 years ago

Wow. Come do mine!!! I like that a lot.

Yes, just paint it.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I think the teal paint would look great! You have done a terrific job.

• countryatheart
    10 years ago

Love your transformation. I am having an infatuation at the moment with peacocks and that lovely shade of blue /green. Am looking for just the right peacock print for my dining room.

As for the strip above your counter, I agree with joanie I would just paint it and then run a bead of clear caulk along the back if you haven't done so already.

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    10 years ago

I would just frame the mirror with wide white trim.

• sochi
    10 years ago

Another vote for painting it teal. Lovely job.

• gyr_falcon
    10 years ago

Your bathroom looks nice! The owls made me smile--looks as if they are dreaming up a way to escape through the skylight or something.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Could a tile border work there?

• beaches1980
    10 years ago

I would paint it or add a frame to the mirror.

Love your bathroom - it looks awesome!

This post was edited by beaches1980 on Sun, Nov 10, 13 at 21:21

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    10 years ago

Can you lower the mirror?

That "moves" the extra space to the top, above the mirror where a newly painted strip of wall may be less noticeable

Also the mirror above the counter lip will help protect the drywall from water damage. Paint is magical but it doesn't always do well when repeatedly splashed.

• williamsem
    10 years ago

Oh, those colors are just gorgeous together! I LOVE those owls too!

I'd just paint that strip. You already have a small backsplash to contain water. I'd just paint above and maybe caulk along the top if you feel it's needed. I think large trim around the mirror would not be consistent with the look of the room, though I'm sure there is a style of trim that would prove me wrong there.

• KelliC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I decided to go ahead and paint it since everyone seemed to have the same idea. :)

{{!gwi}}

I have thought about doing the frame around the mirror in the past, but after getting the trim and tacking it up there, I really didn't like how it looked. Something just seemed off about it. I think the fact that my light fixtures are so close to the mirror is what made the frame look bad. I also cannot move the mirror, it's glued to the wall. The only way that thing is coming off is by breaking it lol.

Thank you guys for all of the compliments! This was the first room that I started in my house and the first that I was able to finish today! It's pretty exciting.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

It came out great! Love the bright color and the owls. The countertop makes such a such difference.

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Wonderful transformation! It looks so nice!

• pammyfay
    10 years ago

Love the color and the shape of the sink!

A question for you, now! Is there a light in the shower? It looks kind of dark over there, even with the skylight!

• KelliC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

There is! I have a recessed can light in the shower. I put some 60w equivalent daylight bulbs in there and its nice and bright.

• xc60
    10 years ago

Great job, love the fun color and owls! Enjoy your new space. :)

• KelliC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Installed the counters into my master bath! Last night I started to do it and the faucet cold water supply broke before I had turned the water off. My whole bathroom was flooded, and my carpet was soaking. By the time my dad got to my house and found the main water supply (I had no clue where it was. Thankfully he lives 5 minutes away) I had cut up my hands. There was blood and water everywhere. This was definitely my hardest project.

Before:
    {{!gwi}}

Now:
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

Any ideas on how to put some finishing touching on the room? I don't like the clock, but I need it in my bathroom so I can look while I'm getting ready. They initially had that towel ring over the outlet too. Can you say fire hazard? This place was a rental before they were foreclosed on and I bought it.

• badgergal
    10 years ago

Wow both of your bathrooms look fantastic. Love the colors in both and the floating shelves above the toilets. The new countertops make a big difference in updating the look. You were brave to tackle the job by yourself. Sorry to her you had a flood and an injury to. Hope that all is well now.

• KelliC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you! It's funny my father told me not to remove the counters or the shower doors. He didn't think I could handle it on my own. Despite the flood I think I did pretty good lol. This is my first time doing anything like this ever, let alone by myself.

• erinsean
    10 years ago

How about centering the clock over the door?

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

They initially had that towel ring over the outlet too. Can you say fire hazard?

I don't really think that's a fire hazard, but I do think it's out of place. I'd take it down, touch up the paint, and if you want a hand towel in that area, hang a small straight towel bar (12" long) BELOW the outlet. As for the clock, do you really need something so big?

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

It looks great. Were the countertops just a fit for the cabinets or did you have to modify something? The more I hear about Menards, the more I wish we had one.

• KelliC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I already did move the towel ring up. It was directly over the outlet before. If I tried placing it below the switch then half towel would end up resting on the counter. And if I had something plugged in and it sparked that towel could have caught on fire.

The clock is only maybe 9" wide. I need something that I can quickly glance at and see the time.. My vision isn't great without my glasses so I need something I can easily see. I could probably move it above the door though.

The countertops are a standard size and I just bought ones that would fit the existing cabinets. So one was 35" and the other was 48", so I got a 36" and 49" counter and they fit with a little bit of a hangover. I love menards. Especially when they have 11% rebate sales, where you get a check for 11% back of what you spend.