Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treasuretheday

What style of art would you choose for my masterbath?

treasuretheday
11 years ago

Our masterbath was designed to have a TV at one end of the tub and a gas fireplace at the other. After a nearly year-long overbudget reno, my husband nixed the gas fireplace and we bought a tabletop firepit instead. Someday I hope to get my gas fireplace but, in the meantime, the wall needs some art. It's the only real place for art in the room so I am hoping for something in keeping with the style of the room (whatever that is!) that speaks to us and hopefully brings in our accent colors, dark purple and a tawny gold.

The wall area I'm working with is 40"w x 53"h. Eventually there will be a valance over the windows but I'd like to decide on art before committing to a fabric.

I've included a link to my reveal post with more pictures of the elements in the room. I'd really appreciate it if you could take a look and tell me how you would describe the style of the room. Art is so subjective, of course, but I'd welcome any suggestions for art subjects, style, etc. just to get us started. Art.com, Etsy, etc. are great but very overwhelming if you don't have a clue what you're looking for! I was planning to go with a stretched canvas so I wouldn't have to worry about moisture affecting a framed piece.

I really appreciate any input and suggestions!

Here is a link that might be useful: Masterbath reveal post with many pictures

Comments (35)

• mitchdesj
    11 years ago

I've had all kinds of frames in bathrooms and would not worry about the moisture issue; a frame stabilizes and protects a canvas from warping in fact.

As for the style and subject, I would pick something strong and vibrant, no matter what style, you have many elements to compete with.
    it's a lovely room !!

• EngineerChic
    11 years ago

I would look for a classically styled, classically painted piece because the room feels very traditional and classic to me with the rich browns and warm beige undertones against the crisp white.

I googled for pictures of bathing women (super typical, I know ...) and found two that are sort of the style I think would work:

A Camille Pissaro painting of a woman demurely washing her feet and ankles ...

A Rembrandt of a woman bathing, I liked this one because it shows someone closer to my age who looks happy. She seems like a fun person to hang out with.

These are obviously things you would need to get prints of ... But if you are worried about the fire pit or humidity damaging the piece, that may be a good idea anyways.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

This sounds familiar....did you post on this before? As I recall I suggested looking at garden sculpture too...

• treasuretheday
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions!

Mitchdesj... Thank you! I should clarify that I wasn't planning to use a picture that is under a mat and glass. I think a stretched canvas, probably with a frame, might be the best way to go. I agree that it needs to be something vibrant enough to be noticed with everything else going on.

EngineerChic... Thanks, your description is really helpful and I like the examples that you posted, especially the first one. They remind me of a picture that has been hanging in my bedroom but will be coming down when we change the style and color scheme of the room within the next year or so. I'll have to take a picture of it in the space and see what you think... it's actually close to what you're describing.

AnnieDeighnaugh...You must be right, sorry! I wasn't sure so I did several searches to see if I could find a previous post on this without coming up with one. My memory is getting so bad that I just figured I never asked the question out loud before! (Another time when it would be great to be able to bring up a list of all of our own GW posts.) I do love the garden statuary idea and I think that would look lovely in the room but I have my heart set on getting some color on the wall there... if I can find the right piece.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

That's fine...just wanted to make sure I wasn't having deja vu!

Art is so individual that it really has to be something you love, which is not necessarily anything I would like...so my ideas may fall flat on you, but since you asked.

When I think a bath like yours, I like some nakedness and a classic look.

Or some water as part of the theme

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• jerseygirl_1
    11 years ago

My vote is for the Rembrandt that Engineer Chic posted. It's fun and elegant at the same time but that is what my eye sees. Art is so subjective. It will bring just the right amount of color into the room and brighten up your beautiful space.

• graywings123
    11 years ago

I would do something unexpected and not too detailed, such as a galloping horse line drawing. Horses seem to be in vogue at the moment.

• Sidney4
    11 years ago

I think I will be the dissenting voice in this discussion but I love to see art work that contrasts a bit with the style of the room. It adds an element of the unexpected and is therefore more interesting and less predictable. Veranda magazine often features rooms that have very ornate or traditional decor that have large abstract canvases on the wall. Houzz has a nice article about mixing contemporary art with traditional decor. Given that line of thinking I would go with an abstract painting that offers a pop of color.

Here is an example where a traditional bathroom showcases contemporary art. The colors are all wrong for your room but it gives you the idea.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Modern Art in Traditional Rooms.[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/opposites-attract-modern-art-in-traditional-rooms-stsetivw-vs~385428)

• kitchendetective
    11 years ago

I'm seriously considering a Botero for my bath. Afraid DH might not appreciate, though.

• susieq07
    11 years ago

These are art pieces in my bathroom, however you need to choose art for your color scheme.

• patricianat
    11 years ago

I have September Morn in a similar location but my space is wider, not taller.

September Morn has special meaning to me and I love the rose and telling the story. ;-)

• Vertise
    11 years ago

I like the idea of a classical line drawing. I think its lightness would be complementary and serene.

• treasuretheday
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the great suggestions... keep them coming!

AnnieDeignaugh...Those are all good thoughts and the classic style of each appeal to me. The first one is somewhat similar to a picture (below) that I could relocate from the adjacent masterbedroom.

Jerseygirl... That's a good description, fun and elegant!

Graywings... I have always loved horses and spent countless hours drawing them as a child. I love that idea actually so I'll add that to my searches.

Sydney4... I do like some abstract art and it's a great way to bring in color. I tend to like "semi-abstract" where there is a recognizable subject. Thanks for the link to the article.

Kitchendetective... a Botero would definitely bring some fun into the bathroom!

Susieq07... I really like the variety of art you've used. Blue is my favorite color but for some reason I never seem to decorate with it.

Patricia43... September Morn is a beautiful piece. I'm not familiar with the story of the rose though(?)

Snookums2... I'm definitely going to look at line drawings. Since I'm looking to add color, I may lean to something a little bolder than what I picture most line drawings to be.

I hadn't previously thought of moving this picture which is perfect in my master bedroom but since I hope to change the bedroom decor later this year, it may have a place in my bathroom, at least until something else speaks to me.

What do you think?

It's a canvas print that I had brushstroked with acrylic to mimic an oil painting.

This past summer, I fell in love with the vibrant colors and whimsical art of Robert Lorenz and picked up a small one of his Eloise pieces. (He has about a 5' tall more elaborate version of this that is amazing!) I had no idea where it could go in my house when I bought it but I was thinking of putting this and a companion piece that was still being painted behind the toilet in my water closet. It makes me smile but do you think it could work since it's in a separate room off of the main bath?

I love the sentiment written on it...

What do you think?

This post was edited by treasuretheday on Tue, Jan 1, 13 at 14:12

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

I agree with Sidney and would choose something modernish but really, art is so subjective that you should get something that makes you happy to look at everyday. What difference does it make otherwise?

• bethohio3
    11 years ago

I like the feel of the piece you might relocate, but I think it might be a bit small for the space.

• teacats
    11 years ago

This artwork is made for outdoor spots -- and so it would work well in this area -- plus it has enough depth of tone and color to work ...

You may want to check on other sites for more outdoor artworks ....

Here is a link that might be useful: Grandin Road -- outdoor artwork -- waterlilies

• annzgw
    11 years ago

I can see why you like Robert's work! Do you have any info on him, or website? I couldn't find anything via google.

Not crazy about the framed piece.....too small and too subdued.

• allison0704
    11 years ago

DD2 recently remodeled her MB and while the room has subway wall tile, hex floor tile and painted wainscotting, the artwork about the tub is a contemporary wrapped canvas (ordered online). She loves it for the color (goes with her towels) and herringbone pattern.

fwiw, we have always had fine art in our bathrooms without any problems. As long as there is a decent vent fan, the artwork and frames will be fine.

I think a large, modern piece would be a nice contrast with the rest of the bathroom.

btw, DD2 ended up buying the PB chandelier for her MB after I showed it to her in yours. :)

• Olychick
    11 years ago

Treasure, I think that gold framed piece would be gorgeous in your spot, but agree it is too small. but I remember seeing here where someone took a beautifully framed piece like yours and surrounded it with a larger frame that was filled with a solid mat and the original piece was mounted inside, on top of the matting. There was maybe 4 = 6" of matting showing, then a plainer frame, maybe a simple gold frame for your piece. It was really a stunning way of increasing the size of the piece and showcasing the art and original frame.
    None of these are great, but for illustration:

Kind of like this but with a colored mat:

No mat, but just the wall. Imagine a beautiful mat:

• Vertise
    11 years ago

That's a good idea to create a larger piece, although expensive! It's often done with fillets, an interior frame, seen here:

• Olychick
    11 years ago

Thanks for the better pic of what I was trying to show, snookums. I think it wouldn't be that expensive if the outside frame were the plainer one though. I can see with the more ornate/elaborate frame you posted that it would be costly.

• teacats
    11 years ago

Artwork

Here is a link that might be useful: art.com -- vase of flowers

• Miz_M
    11 years ago

Gorgeous bathroom!

I initially didn't want "tub" art for mine, but fell in love with this canvas, and put her over my tub:

• Miz_M
    11 years ago

Close-up:

• teacats
    11 years ago

another one ....

Here is a link that might be useful: home decorators -- art

• alyx_c
    11 years ago

Purple is my favorite color! We also have a TV on one side and a blank wall on the other. I used a slender, long picture of a modern woman in a long red dress, standing on a staircase with her back to us. This house is very modern so I went modern classic with that art. In your bath I would put metal art with some purple in it or make it all purple (shades of purple). The other option would be a tall sculpture (check out Austin Sculptures). Have fun.

• patricianat
    11 years ago

Miz M, is that a Brighton bag I see there in your bathroom? Or are my eyes fooling me?

• jamie81
    11 years ago

Have to say...love the Lorenz! Made me smile too.

That one should go where you will see it most often. I think you should pick art for the reaction. The most important thing, is does it give you pleasure? Does it make you feel happy, or calm, or bring back pleasant memories?

I guess for me, how it looks to others is less important than how it makes me feel. I think "decorating" misses that point sometimes. What I enjoy matters more than whats "in style".

• Miz_M
    11 years ago

Hi, Patricia....no, it's a woven basket bag that I keep hair supplies in (ponytail holders, clips, etc.) I do have a Brighton, but it's in my closet. :)

• pattyxlynn
    11 years ago

I thought of this thread when I picked up a "Horses in Art" magazine this week. This is the cover artist, Elise Genest, and the artwork is Manes to the Wind.

Patty

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

I would choose something tall and slender, but that fills the space better, to cooperate with the proportions and grace of the wall. The first one you showed is, I think, too small, and too elaborately framed. Something simpler, more classical and less rococo, I would think.

I also think something that is contemplative and has depth of field would please you more, and you'd be more likely to actually look at it. The bathers and other live critters are fine, but I think you will stop seeing them after the initial flush wears off.

• treasuretheday
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for all of the thoughtful replies. You've really helped me start looking at my options differently. I agree with those who said that whether art "goes" the best or not, it should evoke an emotion and bring us pleasure to have it in our space.

I really appreciate all of the links and suggestions and I'm looking at each one.

The framed piece from my bedroom is back where it belongs. Although I still like it, I also felt that it was too small, too subdued, too fussy, etc. The blank wall is just fine until the "right" art comes along.

Annz... I'm going to find more info on Robert for you. I misplaced his card so I read his name off of the picture (possibly getting the spelling wrong since it's somewhat hard to read.) I've emailed the organizers of the art fair where I purchased his work. I need to find out if he's finished the companion piece since I planned all along to buy it as well.

Allison0704... I'm happy to hear that your daughter liked the PB chandelier enough to buy it for her room. I turn it on, day or night, whenever I'm in the room for more than a few minutes because I love it so much.

Olychick and Snookums2... Thanks for the great idea to enlarge a framed piece. I'm filing that away for the future.

Miz M... That looks beautiful over your tub. The colors are perfect with your valance. And what a clever way to store your hair supplies!

Pattyxlynn... I love that picture! Although I really hope to bring color onto that wall, I am really drawn to that artist's work.

Bronsynsmom... What an interesting thought... that one would stop seeing art after the initial flush wears off. As I think about this, I completely agree! Of all of the art I've had, there have been some pieces that I never tire of and smile each time I look at them and then others which become invisible after awhile. I think it goes back to choosing art for the emotional connection, something with personal meaning, rather than fulfilling a certain design criteria.

All of your input has been hugely helpful so thank you! We have dinner guests coming 3 out of the next 4 nights so I need to put this aside for a little while. I'll post some options when I find them. Hmmm...maybe I can even get my 14 year old to show me how to photoshop the images into the picture of my room!

• kateskouros
    11 years ago

if you feel you must hang something, i'd do a couple professionally matted/framed old pics of the residents during their potty training days. as far as "art" goes, i have never seen any while inside the stalls at the met, moma, guggenheim or the louvre. just my .02.

• teacats
    11 years ago

These might work well in the space too! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Grandin Road -- four metal panels with flowers

• rosie
    11 years ago

VERY handsome so far, but definitely modern--if you found some you really like--to shake things up a bit.