Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
victoria_g

Ideas For A Florida Home

victoria_g
10 years ago

I am moving to Tampa from Tennessee soon for a new job and I am getting rid of most of my furniture so I don't have to bring a lot. Plus.. 70% of the furniture I have was given to us from other family members and it does not really reflect any cohesive style. This gives me an opportunity to think about various style possibilities.

I like the whole bright, sunshine, beachy theme but I definitely don't want to go super tacky with it and plaster shells and fishes all over the place. I plan to buy pieces slowly over time and I am not afraid to go get deals from flea markets and shops for tables/accessories etc.. though I plan to purchase only brand new couches & chairs... (had a really bad experience with a pretty antique one I bought once.)

Any ideas for designs that fit the Florida feel are welcome.

Comments (9)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

If you like used furniture, you are going to a real haven... so many people are snowbirds or elderly or whatever that there is a huge turnover of good used furniture in FL. Mom did her entire house in it and it came out great. Her bent was toward the off white italian furniture which is not everyone's taste, but it made her happy.

Also, there are a lot of low mileage older cars available there as well. Mom bought her camry in FL and had it shipped up here and saved a ton of money...it was like 10 yrs old but had only 30,000 miles on it...amazing.

Best of luck to you on your move.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Maybe you can get the beachy vibe more in your color palette as opposed to pictures of fish, shells, etc....If you like those colors....blues, blue/greens, aqua, coral, yellows....good luck with your move and the new job!

• maddielee
    10 years ago

Have you found a house in the Tampa area? If you've had the chance to look around, you know that the area has numerous types architecture.

Once you know where you you will be living, let the house help you decide on the furnishings.

Welcome to Tampa! Let me know if you have any questions about the area, I've lived here most of my life.

ML

• maddielee
    10 years ago

Deleted, double post. Sorry

ML

This post was edited by maddielee on Mon, Dec 9, 13 at 10:23

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

Stay away from the kitschy shells fish etc. instead take the colors of the beach (if that's your thing) and use those throughout the home to give yourself the light airy beachy feel.

You should check out the missing piece-- great used furniture finds there

Edited because I should really spell check submissions made on an iPad. Sorry. Yes and triage is great! I forgot about that store.

Here is a link that might be useful: The missing piece

This post was edited by iheartgiantschnauzer on Mon, Dec 9, 13 at 13:11

• maddielee
    10 years ago

I agree about The Missing Piece. Great place, sometimes a little pricey. Triage is another consignment store in S. Tampa.

ML

• teacats
    10 years ago

For gorgeous seaside style -- here is a link to a remarkable collection of inspiration photos from interior designer Phoebe Howard -- just click on one of three large photos on the home page to see LOTS more photos ....

She also has a wonderful décor book out too! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Phoebe Howard website -- lots of inspiration photos

• amykath
    10 years ago

My in-in laws live in Tampa and they look online and go to yard sales. They also hit many thrift shops. They get the nicest things for so little money It blows my mind!!!

I spent a week there and spent about 20.00 and could barely fit everything I got in my suitcase!!!

Enjoy......Happy bargain hunting!!!!!

• victoria_g
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Awesome! That excites me because I love finding unique things.. and yeah.. I bet there are a lot of good furniture finds with all the transplants and retirees around. I think the aqua blue/greens might be a good pop against some neutral furnishings and maybe I can do a vase or glass bowl with some cleaned shells etc in it to let my kids have a hand in things. They already volunteered to collect shells. :)

I am waiting for approval on a gorgeous little rental home in a nice neighborhood.. I hope I get it because there is a cute pond behind it with ducks etc. I plan to invest in a nice screened gazebo though since unfortunately that home did not have a screened porch area and with the pond right there.. no way to sit outside without being eaten alive by mosquitoes without one.

So to those of you who have lived in the Tampa Area I welcome thoughts on things to do and places to see in the area. Good spots for food, family, the best flea markets etc. I read up on the pirate festival, and I hear the state fair is fantastic.