Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beekeeperswife_gw

Ben Moore Color Stories--Anybody Try Those Colors yet?

beekeeperswife
12 years ago

Just curious if anyone has experimented with the full spectrum colors from BM yet.

If you have used any of these BM colors, can you post some photos, how it went on the wall? etc.

Comments (14)

• chispa
    12 years ago

I bought paint about a month ago and my nearest BM store had no clue what I was talking about when I asked about the full spectrum colors.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    12 years ago

chispa, really? They are on their website now. I know I asked a long time ago when they were test marketing it and my local store looked at me like I had a 3rd eye....in fact they didn't even know what "full spectrum" was......

• indygo
    12 years ago

Same experience here. Ellen kennon here we come!

• graywings123
    12 years ago

indygo-girl, I was doing a search for EK seafoam and found a post of yours from 2007. Do you still have your pics of seafoam?

I'm looking for a very pale green for a windowless bathroom.

• chispa
    12 years ago

Bee, yep I also got the third eye look when I tried to explain full spectrum!! There are two main guys that work at this store. I think they are good at color matching and dealing with painters and customers, but they aren't interested in the "science" of color. They can competently fill your order, but don't ask for advice on how you could improve that order. They don't know and probably don't want to know!

I used to live in Mass and had a couple of very good paint stores nearby. I recently moved to CA and now realize that that level of expertise is not the norm. I won't even get started on the local SW store ... they don't even try to be pleasant!

• indygo
    12 years ago

Hi graywings. The only picture I have of the seafoam is the one you saw online. It's a definite aqua blue though, not what you want if you're looking for a green. It looks more like SW rainwashed, but with that full spectrum dimensionality.

• amielynn
    12 years ago

While on my semi regular trip to my little BM store I asked about the Color Stories colors becauseI I didn't see anything about them in store. Sure enough the guy had a color deck and let me peruse it while he was mixing up my paint. He said it was very interesting because none of the colors use gray or black to tone them only pigments so they do have a more full spectrum luminescent quality. He seemed excited about them.

Then he told me that the color of the year was Wythe Blue, I laughed and said I'd heard that.

• liriodendron
    12 years ago

If you're intrigued by full spectrum, you may be interested in Donald Kaufman colors and by the Citron paint line.

DK is the "original" full-spectrum line. EK told me that she was "inspired" by his colors; some of hers seem, to my eye, to be knock-offs of DK colors.

To get more info (and gorgeous inspiration pics) check out the Donald Kaufman books (one also by Suzanne Butterfield) from your local library. I believe the middle one (possibly the one by Butterfield) actually includes (in the back matter) some f/s paint formulas to mess around with on your own. All have luscious pics.

Keep in mind that there are two issues: color quality (the full-spectrum color choice/mixture) and the paint film quality. My experience with BW, P&L (DK's carrier these days) and SW has been very good with regard to paint film quality and consistency. ICI/Dulux is less pleasing to work with in my opinion. Plus there's the issue of the needed precision in measuring being done locally at a paint store that may or may not "get" the whole tiny-but-many-different quantities required to make up true f/s paint. That's the inherent weakness in EK's business model.

OTOH, EK personally gives lavishly good, and attentive, customer service by email and phone.

L.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    12 years ago

Kaufman colors are mixed in paint stores just like the Kennon colors unless you order from Cox Online or The Color Factory in Jersey. See link for stores that carry Kaufman paint.

Kaufman mixes in Pratt & Lambert Accolade - P&L is owned by Sherwin Williams and Accolade is the top tier offered for the P&L brand.

ICI has several grades that exceed Accolade quality. LifeMaster (favorite is eggshell) will give Accolade a run for its money any day of the week.

ICI is now owned by Akzo Nobel and marketing paint under the Glidden Professional brand.

As far as full spectrum color now available in Ben Moore stores, it's kind of a hot mess because paint store staff notoriously know how to sell paint, not color. That's the state of affairs no matter what brand. Paint store is the last place you're gonna find color expertise.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click Where to Buy

• amielynn
    12 years ago

I like to frequent the small family run BM store where they have been super kind and helpful to a noob including some brief lessons in the way that the colors are mixed than go a bit farther down the road to the fancy SW store where the 2 times I dared to darken their door they were unknowledgeable unhelpful and just plain rude.

I will take good service with a smile any day.

• kitchendetective
    12 years ago

I've only used EK paint one time (Giverny Blue) and ordered it directly from Ellen after a lovely, accidental, Saturday morning phone conversation. It is very nice paint. DH commented on this as well, although neither one of us enjoys painting with it as much as we do with Farrow and Ball. The EK paint is on the wall above the boot-putting-on bench in the mud room and has withstood the clanging, hanging dog leashes, gardening hats, back rubbing, mud splashing, you name it extraordinarily well. EK recommended and sent the paint in Velvet Sheen--shinier than is my usual preference--but I am very pleased with it. It did have considerably more odor than F&B, which is what is on the other walls in that room.
    As to the color, it has fascinating permutations, most of which I like, some of which I adore, and one or two of which run to the Disney/harsh edge. (The DSes have been known to harrumph that Mom is watching paint dry, again.) The light that hits it comes from the north and slightly east, influenced by some trees.
    Years ago, I attempted a paint purchase at an ICI store. The personnel were oriented toward professional painters who specify an order and come pick up the paint. No discussion of color, texture, etc. possible, and no experience with EK. I wouldn't be surprised if that varies greatly from store to store, as has been my experience with Sherwin-Williams branches.

• sadie709
    12 years ago

I went into my local BM store asked if they had in the new paint yet. My guy pulled out the new paint deck and mixed me up a quart. No problems. Unfortunately, with the holidays its still in the quart and not yet on the wall. Well only a little square/splotch is on the wall; not enough to give a review. They mix it in the aura paint.

• mjsee
    12 years ago

They can ONLY mix it in the Aura paint. My paint guy seems to be well informed--clearly has taken some sort class. I want my own fan--he's trying to get me one (which I will pay for). Our local dealer was given ONE FAN. It's not allowed to leave the store.

Maybe I should cruise over to the Ben Moore site and see if I can order one...

• mjsee
    12 years ago

Ordered my fan deck! Linked the online store below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Color Stories Fan Deck

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!