Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ash8177

Bombe chest in my foyer - help me dress it up?

ash8177
12 years ago

This is the view when you first walk in the front door. Can you guys help me dress it up/accessorize?

{{!gwi}}

Comments (10)

• teacats
    12 years ago

Let's see:

-add a round mirror with either a painted frame or perhaps try to match the wood color of the chest.

-add a lamp. Perhaps even a pair of tall thin buffet-type lamps.

-add a larger wood bowl in the center and fill with pinecones for the cooler months. Switch to a dark woven tray and a white silk orchid in a pretty pot or cachepot for the warmer months.

-IF needed -- add a low dark woven lined basket underneath the chest to hold any seasonal items like gloves etc.

-IF there is room (always hard to judge by a photo) -- perhaps add a small pretty backless stool just by the stairwell?

• gwbr54
    12 years ago

Depends on what you have available for accessories (I LOVE the second photo below) -- but lamp, mirror or art, are a good start. Doesn't look like you have the height to hang a good-size mirror, but leaning mirror or art looks great in these photos:

• ash8177
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you both!

I have a lot of "stuff" available to me but it's all mix matched.. mostly vintage/antique items. We clean out estates so I'm always coming across "stuff" I just never know what to keep and what to auction. Home decor is not my thing! Anyway, will anything pictured below work? I can always switch stuff up later if I come across something better..

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

I have a couple desks lamps.. one kind of similiar to this..
    {{!gwi}}
    And another smaller one.. brass with a small green shade.

• gwbr54
    12 years ago

I think you have a winner in your last two photos! That lamp is great, and the dark colors in the artwork would look terrific with it.

• ash8177
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks gwbr54. Unfortunately I don't think the two will work together. :(

{{!gwi}}

Do you think the lamp is too big? It kind of takes over the painting.

• lindac
    12 years ago

I like the lamp and the first picture with the roses and the roccoco frame.
    And how about also a collection of "smalls"...say a little tray...in silver or EAPG with pretty things on it....perhaps a pair of kid gloves....an old calling cars....maybe an antique pair of opera glasses....or go the other way a lovely pipe tamper....a few old keys.....maybe a small antique porcelain clock?....they could even go on a doily with a tatted edge....perhaps an old book and a pair of antique glasses.
    My first thoughts were a vase of silk flowers, 3 mis matches silver, brass or glass candle sticks and a verticle mirror hing off center.
    Nifty chest!
    Linda C

• teacats
    12 years ago

Actually -- the lamp will work brillantly -- simply slide the chest over to the left slightly -- and then place the left on the left-hand side of the artwork! :) You may have to play with the angle of the lamp -- make it sit across the left-hand corner .....

Well done on your choices! :)

• gwbr54
    12 years ago

I would move the lamp to the left side of chest, and lean the painting a bit to the right of center of chest. They do look nice together (IMO)!

• goldengirl327
    12 years ago

Unfortunately, I don't have a photo, but your setup is similar to mine. I have a picture a bit smaller than yours hung over left of the chest and then a tall lamp sitting on the right of the chest to balance things out. On the top of the chest I also have an arrangement with a clock, a family photo and a candy dish. I hope you can visualize this. Right now, we have our Christmas tree in that corner, so it will be a while before I can take a photo for you. Good luck!

• Leslie.in.NC
    12 years ago

I think the 3 elements you've got so far look great together. I think the black in the largest picture really compliments the black in the lamp and on the chest (which I love!). So... put the lamp to one side of the picture, then you need something else relatively tall for the other side (candlesticks?), and then something more horizontal in the middle, could either be a bunch of things or greens in a planter . You want them all to slightly overlap. Just look at the overall shape the accessories make, it should sort of flow. I think going for a semicircle-ish shape over that chest would look really nice.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH