Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theresse_gw

Anyone remember discussion re. *right* type of plumber's putty?

theresse
10 years ago

Hi there (and long time no talk for some of you)!

I'm the one, if this rings a bell (unless there are more of us), with the infamous pics of the Shaws farmer sink that had cracks coming out from the drain. I eventually got it replaced by them which was good - at no cost to me. My then-contractor may have damaged it when overtightening the flange (?).

Anyway, today's problem is that ever since the new sink has gone in, we're a little paranoid about overtightening and it's possible that's why the disposal keeps coming loose and starts leaking water into the bottom of our cabinet below the sink. : - / My husband believes it's cause we have too much crap under there (cleaning agents and such). He thinks we push things around under there and it's dislodged something.

He doesn't know anything about any of this stuff but he's going to attempt - via googling - to fix this himself. I told him I thought I had a memory of reading something on here about some sort of putty being the kind that should be avoided. Not sure of details...perhaps because a flexible kind's required? Or maybe it's the opposite? Maybe it had something to do with a putty that will help prevent/avoid fireclay sinks cracking somehow? I have some funny memory of that, I think.

Hope this makes at least some sense!

Thanks!

Comments (9)