Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xmkx

GE Duel Fuel Range Not Flush Against Wall - Help!

xmkx
10 years ago

So I'm into the finishing touches of our kitchen reno. I have the GE Cafe Duel Fuel Range with the Baking Drawer. But my contractor can't seem to get it flushed against the wall. It sits about 1 inch from the wall. Is this normal?

I've posted a pic of what it looks like. From the front, you can't tell it's sticking out.

Any advice? Opinions? Thanks.

I'll post finished pics in a couple of weeks!

Comments (10)

• xmkx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Jellytoast. If there is a gas line or electrical in the way, is it reasonable to ask the contractor to fix it if he followed the specs? Or is it a ton work?

• gpraceman55
    10 years ago

I could just be the flex line for the gas getting in the way and maybe just needs to be pulled aside. You should be able to pull the range our a bit and take a look down there.

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

That's a possibility, too, gpraceman, but I just assumed that the contractor already checked that when he was moving the range into place. Could be that he didn't though, so hopefully that's all it is.

NYMK, if the contractor followed the specs, I don't think it would be reasonable to ask him to correct the location of the line(s) without compensation. When we installed our range, we followed the specs exactly and they were wrong ... both the gas line and the electrical outlet had to be moved a bit, which involved cutting into the drywall, moving the electrical box, adding a couple of fittings to the gas line, then patching the drywall and the paint. Was it a ton of work? No, not really, but it did take a little effort and a couple of hours. Totally doable.

• hotdog_2010
    10 years ago

I have the GE Cafe Dual Fuel range. It sits flush against the wall. It was installed 2 years ago. Two things I know about the back of the range and installation: There is a recessed area in the back of the range for the electrical outlet to fit into so it CAN fit flush against the wall. There is an anti-tip device that was screwed into the floor that the range had to connect to. Maybe one (or both) of these items is causing it to be unable to go all the way to wall. Hope this helps

• elissahart
    10 years ago

We had this exact same problem with our Cafe gas double oven range. When I googled the issue, I found a GE forum where several people discussed having this issue, so I don't think it's a fluke. Our contractor discovered that there is some metal on the back of the range that sticks out about an inch. He was able to gain about half an inch by creating a groove or dent in the drywall to accommodate the protruding part, and we concealed the remaining half-inch gap by running the backsplash a couple of inches below the range. I think he may have disabled the anti-tip device too, but I can't remember. It's still not fully flush, but the gap is much less noticeable now and I have made peace with it. I've put a picture of our range below so that you can see how it looks. Good luck!

• xmkx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for all the feedback!!! I really appreciate it.

• lowmileage
    10 years ago

My new #PGB940sefss gas range also does not fit flush against the backsplash. It has a protrusion on the backside behind the controls - I cannot fathom why - that leaves a inch and a half gap to the backsplash. Really a real bad design unless it can be removed but right now it is pushed as far back as it can go.

• Aveek Dutta
    5 years ago

There is a rear trim piece that came with my range (model - CGS995SELSS) that is mandatory to install, which will fill any gap between the range and the wall. Anybody know what screws to use with that part? I misplaced the screws.

• kim k
    5 years ago
    Aveek- did you ever figure this out? Just found this piece lying in my garage after the workers are long gone :/ where did you see that it is mandatory to install?