Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16331601

X post...New Years Eve in Alabama...

User
15 years ago

DH at the ivories and me at the front of the house and DS1 in the kitchen...he is a whiz. Happy New Year to ya'll. Caroline

Here is a link that might be useful: New Years in Alabama

Comments (17)

• mitchdesj
    15 years ago

I'll take the veal, since I'm from Quebec, lol !!!!

Happy New Year to you and I wish you a full house tomorrow night and all year long in 2009, ,
    the menu looks amazing.

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

Happy New Year and best wishes to you all! Wish I was there! Maybe DS1 would serve me a White Anchove Salad! Have fun!

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

What a fabulous evening! I love the menu and only $55 a person! I guess that is just one difference between Alabama and Baltimore - prices are ridiculous here and the choices are not as wonderful either! And wouldn't include piano music! Definitely put your son's restaurant on my itinerary if I ever travel to 'Bama.
    Happy New Year to you! Hope you and your family have a healthy and happy new year.

• texanjana
    15 years ago

Wow, that sounds delish! Wish I was there.

• newdawn1895
    15 years ago

Caroline, I have got to make it down to your restaurant one of these days.

Hope you have a great turn out and a very happy New Year. Your menu sounds wonderful.

.....Jane

• chicoryflower
    15 years ago

Caroline - that looks like a beautiful, sweet sounding, delicious experience. You must be so pleased!!

I'll have the oven roasted pheasant breast please! I'll have the Eyrie Pinot Gris!! :) March would be a good time for Alabama, no?

• chicoryflower
    15 years ago

And a happy new year to you too... I got caught up in the food *drool*!

• saltnpeppa
    15 years ago

Oh, yummy!!
    I looked at your previous menu's, too.
    I just did quail & pheasant for the 1st time this year myself:) Not to your level of gourmetness(not even a word but a huge compliment, my dear!)

Happy New Year!
    Smiles:)

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You guys are so sweet. Thank you !! DS1 has a way about him, that is for sure. We are lucky to get to share in his success. I hope the restaruant will do well this year. We are off the beaten path and until the owner sent out a short note 2 weeks ago we were really down in numbers. People have rallied around and the figures have picked up. With all the changes in the economy aand the country it is anybody's guess as to what will happen. The menu is going to really be restructured to feature more of a Bistro feel for the new year.It will be less costly tp prepare but still very interesting in flavors. Stay tuned !

Jane you do need to get down here ! Missed hearing from you for the porch tour.

Sue we would love to see you ! We used to live in B'more...I think I told you that ...back in 1973-74. Don't remember the restaurants though...we were poor poor students then LOL.

Thank you chicory...I got it on the way !

Texan and bodica wish you were too !! Maybe next year.

Mitch the veal melts in your mouth. The broth is based on the same starter that he has had going now for 4 years. It is so rich and savory that you just can't believe...you gotta come down. Ds1 and DIL will be in Montreal and surrounding areas for 2 weeks starting 1/1. They are visiting DIL's family.

scooby I have never tried to cook either one...you are very ambitious ! I wish you could come see us . c

• mitchdesj
    15 years ago

Email me if they want any info on mtl, since they are visiting family they must have all the info they need; I spend the holidays in florida, they'll see plenty of snow and ice this year, I guess it's a novelty for them.

does your DH sing, or just play the piano.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am sure you are glad to be where it is warm ! My DIL's Mom is a native CN. Some of her family still lives there in Montreal /Quebec and areas near there. The family has had a wonderful cabin on a lake at the VT border for 50 years or so. My son and DIL will be going there with her parents for a few days. It is closed down so her Dad has to un- winterize it. He loves them so he is going to all this trouble !! They will cook good stuff for everyone as a pay back :)

DH only plays...no singing. Thanks for the offer of info. c

• teacats
    15 years ago

Sounds simply divine! The veal would be my pick too!

I went to school in Montreal twice over the years (went to Lindsay Place High School in Pointe Claire --- then a few years later after living in London -- I attended Marianopolis College in downtown Montreal) -- and we lived in the western suburbs!

Tortiere remains MY personal favorite dish from Quebec! Love that touch of cinammon and spice to the meat pie ..... yummy!

Jan

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jan , my dil's Mom talks about tortiere the way you do. I also just heard about the Raincoast crackers. Her Mom loves loves them . I found a recipe for them and am going to make them and see how they compare to the real thing. Are you familiar with them? I believe they are from the Vancouver area but they have them all over CN.

The veal is melt in your mouth wonderful. Thank you...wish you could come dine with us ! c

• lynninnewmexico
    15 years ago

The evening sounds heavenly . . and so does that menu! Wish we were closer, as this is the way I'd love to spend our NYE!
    Lynn

• teacats
    15 years ago

Not familiar with the crackers BUT there ARE two typical Canadian dessert treats -- Nanaimo Bars and Butter Tarts that are favorites from coast-to-coast. Might make interesting dessert offerings in the restaurant too! LOL! Of course bakers across Canada have their own ways-and-and-means of making the "perfect" ones!

Jan

• mitchdesj
    15 years ago

teacats, did you mean ground cloves, not cinnamon, in the tourtière ?

I know both those schools you went to, I raised my kids on the west island.

I love nanaimo bars, the recipe gets passed around on the Cooking forum at this time of year !

trailrunner is probably already at the restaurant to greet the early birds, lol.

• parma42
    15 years ago

OMG, I read each and every menu. It is sublime!

All of my favorites and some repeated (duck confit). Dark chocolate (the only chocolate) is in so many of the desserts, too. Goose breast, lamb shanks, Roman artichokes, chevre...just everything!

I only wish we were closer...a lot closer (Chicago).

Jan and mitch, my mom made tourtiere (our heritage is French Canadian) but she called it something different. It sounded like tout care sp?. Is that the same?

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio