Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
azwildcats70

Oh No! Faucet won't fit - Granite too thick??

azwildcats70
13 years ago

So, I bought the La Toscana bridge faucet and the plumber said it won't fit because the max counter thickness is 1 1/2"... does anyone know if there is an extender or something?

See link for the faucet I bought. I got it in brushed nickel.

If there is no extender, do you know of a similar faucet under $400?

Here is a link that might be useful: La Toscana Faucet

Comments (18)

• azwildcats70
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Anyone ever heard of this or used one?

• azwildcats70
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The plumber was here... and said what we have wouldn't work. Then I found this link. See below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Faucet Shank Extender

• weissman
    13 years ago

Yes there are extenders but granite is either 2 cm or 3 cm and 3 cm is less than 1 1/4" so I think your plumber is wrong. Is your granite actually installed and he found he couldn't install it? I would try another plumber.

• Sharon kilber
    13 years ago

My husband, bought a extender, and fixed it. Our granite, is 3cm. Your plumber, should know what to do. sharaz

• weedmeister
    13 years ago

Looking at this particular faucet, I'm not surprised. You didn't say if there was any wood underneath the countertop to support it behind the sink. Also the faucet uses a big nut to tighten it down. So there might not be enough room left on the shank to attach and tighten down either a hose connection or this extension. But it's worth a try and looks fairly cheap.

• azwildcats70
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Still researching... sometimes it's all about terminology. I found something called a Deck Extension Kit.

• mountaineergirl
    13 years ago

You shouldn't be the one searching everywhere for a solution. The plumber should know exactly what you need and be trotting off to the hardware store to get one.

• azwildcats70
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Mountaineergirl - he just told me the faucet wouldn't work and that I needed to buy a faucet with a longer shank. :(

• mountaineergirl
    13 years ago

well I'm just surprised that he expects you to purchase a new faucet, when there's an easy solution. One that he should have experience with. Go to a hardware store and explain the problem and they will help you get what you need. But I still think the plumber could/should do that, but of course he'll charge you for the part. Maybe I shouldn't say this, be he appears to be either lazy or inexperienced. At the very least - not helpful.

But again - don't spend $ on another faucet. Go find a longer shank/extender whatever you call it and maybe a new plumber. :)

• azwildcats70
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm so amazed at how rude these people are. I was just talking with our electrician who is a really nice guy and does great work... and he was agreeing and saying that he's not sure what's up with plumbers and tilers - they all seem to have an attitude and are getting lazier and lazier.

• dyno
    13 years ago

It's par for the course. All they want is to slam in your fixtures as fast as possible and be out. When customer supplies taps, any minor hitch is the customer's fault and that gives them license to whine. My plumber wasn't bad but he was certainly the biggest whiner of the bunch. lol

If you show them you have a cauldron of hate welling up, they usually back down.

• azwildcats70
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm a veritable cavalcade of hate! ;)

• Sharon kilber
    13 years ago

We, had the same problem. My husband, who is a GC went to Ace hardware, figure out what to to buy, and fixed ours, like I, said in a post above. So a license plumber, should be able to think a little bit and figure it out. Your plumber, must want to have it real easy, collect his check, and not have to think to much. I, would keep the faucet, you, like and find another plumber, install it for you. sharaz

• pharaoh
    13 years ago

We cut a large hole in the plywood supporting the granite. This allowed us to secure the faucet to the 2 cm counter.

• azstoneconsulting
    13 years ago

Find a plumber that knows what he's talking about - the guy you have right now is a clown......

3CM granite is 1 1/4" thick - even IF your shank is too short, an extender will
    solve your problem. Sounds like your plumber is just a big Waaaa Waaaa Baby!!!

I have been in the trades for 32 years (Tile & Stone SLab Fabricator) and every so often I run into some idiot premadonna who got his plumbing education from HD or online.....

Here in AZ - This is an easy fix - HIRE A MORE KNOWLEDGABLE PLUMBER!!!!!

hth

kevin

• azwildcats70
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone. You all have been a god send.

All of these contractors speak to you like "duh, you should know this stuff"... maybe I will talk to them about encryption in transit and at rest and the fine virtues of two factor authentication... and then be like.... DUH!

• walshp8
    10 years ago

We found extenders for our faucet at a local hardware store but unfortunately our faucet (kingston brass) has a side sprayer and there isn't anything that we have found that works with it. The holster shank is too short to go through the granite and no one seems to be able to point us in the direction of a holster with a longer threaded shank. The holster measure approx, 13/16 OD and KB has been NO help at all. Any suggestions? Someone suggested just using silicone to secure the holster and collar to the countertop...