Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
junkyardgirl

Anyone have a quick tip on how to

junkyardgirl
16 years ago

make a small, ranch style stucco house look more like a cottage? I love my house (inside) and my yard, but it's just so....TRACT! I want it to stand out from the dozen or so homes in the neighborhood with the same exact floor plan.

I know I should post a picture, but I'm sort of scared of posting pics of my house online. I was cyberstalked once.

Anyway, it has a very large sliding glass picture window in the front, and it really is a challenge to the cottage look. Are there things you can put onto it to make it look like a paned window that won't interfere with the sliding? There are three sliding glass windows in all on the front, two large ones in the back, but the front is what I'm concerned with right now.

Comments (8)

• oceanna
    16 years ago

I have the same thing -- a huge front window without grids, and it's too new to buy new windows. :/

I've been thinking about doing something like this. Anyone know about this stuff?

Here is a link that might be useful: Snap-in window grids

• kec01
    16 years ago

yes, we tried them once. They look like fake, plastic grids in our opinion. The package we purchased was returned.

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Bummer. What did you end up doing, Kec? Did you make them yourself out of wood? Or give up? I like the looks of them, but there's another reason for me. I had them installe with new windows in my last home and they stopped my parrots from flying into my windows. So I really want them again.

I'll be watching for ideas here too.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

They seem to be doing integral grids a lot these days, and I was told it was hard to find the snap-on types now. I'd say that was popular maybe 15 years ago, but people found they snap and break quite a bit, whether plastic or wood. I think they tend to be kind of flat looking, not as substantial or raised as the real thing, but if you like paned windows I'd say they look better than the vinyl integrals.

I sure miss beautiful wood windows!!

• sweets98
    16 years ago

What if you look at different trims and things to make your own? You'll need to measure and see how much room you have to work with but they make trim that is pretty flat that you could always use to get the effect that you want. I'm not sure what you would want to use to attach the trim to the window but it would have to be something that could handle the temp and moisture changes that glass windows go through throughout the day and year.

I wouldn't see anything wrong with the grids in the link either. They probably look plastic because they're either not all wood or it's the paint sheen they used for durability. It's one of those things where you have to decide if you want the grids or want them to be wooden grids more. I mean, if really want the grids, you can see past things like what they are made out of. You're going for the overall look of the door from a distance more than right up close where you can see what they are made out of. Most windows today don't even have wooden grids because plastic holds up longer.

If that doesn't work, what about something like the Gallery Glass or try taping off areas and frosting or something. They wouldn't be actual grids but it would look like it. Someone I know, can't remember now (BIL and SIL maybe?) have something on their windows that looks like tape or paint that makes it appear that they have those grids.....

Good luck!

• bbcjohn
    16 years ago

Is there anyone who makes these grids that aren't the vinyl ones with a big square at each place where the cross pieces meet like the ones that popped up when I googled them.

I can handle just about any kind of grids. A decent vinyl one even.

• oceanna
    16 years ago

A different idea -- my son wants a row of small colored squares all the way around his LR window. Getting all that tape straight would be difficult and time consuming doing it in Gallery Glass. So I'm going to do it by cutting up this window film I hope it turns out well. A friend of mine used the window film to get privacy on one of her windows and she was very happy with it. Anyway, something like that is always an option.

Here is a link that might be useful: Window film - squares

• kec01
    16 years ago

The 2 windows we attempted this with were the front attic windows on our bungalow. A previous owner had taken out the original wood windows and put in vinyl. Instead of using these grids to try and make the vinyl windows match the rest of the house, we saved our $$ and bought new wood windows which matched. And, yes, this is about the most expensive route we could have gone, but we'll be living in this house forever and we decided to do what, for us, was the only proper solution.