Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandlll

Cabinet Hardware Horizontal or Cup Pulls?

sandlll
13 years ago

We're getting closer to the end and I need to pick out cabinet hardware. I have always like the horizontal pulls like in theanimala's kitchen (below) but my kitchen is going to be a bit more traditional:

But, my GC said doing horizontal pulls on the cabinet doors may weaken the hinges over time if people don't pull on them correctly. I don't anticipate a lot of non family members opening our cabinets enough to hurt them though. My other favorite is the traditional cup pull, but it seems almost too typical to me now. Which one do you prefer? Not new pics, but here are my cabinets:

Maybe I could do the long horizontal pulls on all drawers and 42" upper cabinets and pantries, then do knobs on the smaller cabinet doors, and cup pulls on the small pencil island drawers? Is a mix like that interesting or distracting? They would all be a brushed nickel/stainless finish... There will be 2 of these chandeliers over the island (marble top)

Comments (6)

• marcydc
    13 years ago

I put mine on horizontal. We've only been using them for about a week, but I really don't see how it could weaken the cabinet. It's not like your pulling something really heavy in a cab door!

I'm not a cup pull fan. I just picture dirty fingers going in and no one ever wiping them out :) Or more likely I mean I know I wouldn't be one to wipe them out as frequently as I should! My 13 year old baked cookies yesterday and the pulls had flour and powdered sugar all over them. Probably butter too!

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

I love theanimala's kitchen. Thanks for showing it again! I love the horizontal pulls myself, but they seem ergonomically strange to me to have them on cabs that swing open to one side. I'm planning on horizontal like above on the drawers and cabs that pull straight out (trash cab) and then putting the pulls vertical on cabs that swing to one side. The long vertical element will alredy be introduced in the fridge doors. Is that an option for you? Maybe you could ask Theanimala how her cabs are holding up?

I've seen several kitchen lately with the combo of the three you described. From the pictures, it seems slightly too much for me, but I'm more into simpler, cleaner lines. I haven't had knobs on cabs in many years, but I remember moving into this house with pulls and realizing how much easier it was to open cabs as there is more surface area to grab than a knob.

Great chandy, BTW. What's the source?

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

Two more thoughts:

A larger kitchen could pull off the mix of three pulls better than a very small one.

I agree about cup pulls and cleanliness. I'm a freak about touching dirty knobs, pulls, door handles, etc. I wipe my fridge handles down several times a day because my 4-year old and DH seem to somehow open them with dirty hands.

Kitchen looks great!

• sandlll
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We actually got the chandelier at Home Depot. My dh could both agree that it was a good cheaper alternative that we can change out in 5 years if we want when our budget bounces back! It figures, I am leaning towards the long pulls and my dh is leaning toward the cup pulls!

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Put the horizontals on drawers and go vertical on the doors that swing. Mix it up all you want... it is your kitchen, so you make the rules.
    BTW - love the light... it has a great balance.

• theanimala
    13 years ago

Thanks for the compliment. Sandlll, our kitchen has been done a little over a year now and we have had no issues with hinges from having the pulls horizontal. I would think you would really have to pull the doors excessively hard to do any sort of damage. Granted, it's only been a year but I don't see how we will have issues with it in the future.

You kitchen looks lovely, and I am jealous of that nice long island with all of that seating, looks great! Best of luck in your decision.