Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicepants

Unsure of my Granite Selection

nicepants
15 years ago

Just had my new kitchen template made for granite countertops. We selected the "Mohave Cream" color, but I'm getting cold feet now on the color selection. Our cabinets are Kraftmaid Cherry, the color is "peppercorn"....a very dark near-black finish. We chose a lighter color of granite because of the darker cabinets, but I'm wondering if that will go. Appliances are all stainless, and we're planning to paint the walls a light green. (Behr color name is "Grass Cloth.

Any recommendations? Is Mohave Cream too busy? Will this type of countertop look good with darker cabinets? The samples looked good but I know it's not the same as having them in.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (16)

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

I like it with your cab color (and I like the granite itself, too)!!!

• patti823
    15 years ago

I think it looks great! Goes with your cabs very well. I don't think it's busy at all.

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

The contrast will look great and I think the warmth of a soft green will balance the coolness of the granite and SS appliances. Relax and enjoy... you did good!

• User
    15 years ago

Well I think the cabinets and granite look really nice together, except for the granite looks like it has some pink in it, which may make it harder to match colors with.

Also, I have to let you know, Grass Cloth is not a light green. It's more bold and alive so to say. I originally bought it for my kitchen too, but it was too bright so now I have it in my pantry, the entry wall of my foyer, a hall wall and inside my mudroom closet. Don't misunderstand, it's a great color, it was just too bright for my kitchen and has been great to use as an accent color. I tried to take some pics for you, hope this helps. I also did a very light green in my downstairs bath that works perfect with the Grass Cloth, called Celery. The pics don't represent the color very well, but it's really soft and pretty, very easy on the eyes.
    Mudroom
    {{gwi:1538976}}

Wall in hall

{{gwi:1540481}}

{{gwi:1462103}}

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

I think your granite and cabs are gorgeous! Not so sure about the green for the walls, but that can be chosen after everything is in. The pinkish tones of the granite will go with the burgandy undertones of your cabs. Good match!

• kevin_ii
    15 years ago

The wall color will draw colors out of the stone so keep that in mind.

I personaly like your choice of cabinet and stone colors and agree that the stone is not to busy.

• jb1176
    15 years ago

I like your choices of cabinet and stone colors but I'm not sure if I like them together. I think Mohave Cream is better suited to a gray stained or white cabinet. I think there is too much pink in your stone to work well with the beautiful cabinet color. Sorry to be the odd one out here, but you asked.

JB

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

It is a busy granite....but busy is GOOD!! I like it very much. Not sure about the granite with the paint color though. What are you doing about a back splash? If you go with something very neutral and lighter (like a cream subway tile with maybe a small accent strip) it would look fantastic.

• fran1523
    15 years ago

I think the granite is lovely with the cabinets, but I would not make any decisions about the paint color until it is installed. Then I suggest you get some sample pots and paint sections of your wall before making a final decision.

• caminnc
    15 years ago

I agree with fran. I don't think green is going to be the best color next to that granite. Beautiful granite and cabinets though.

• Laurie
    15 years ago

I think your granite and cabinets will look great together! My granite (Luna Pearl) looks very similar to yours, but without the pinkish tones. I agree with mustbnuts and her comment about the burgandy undertones in your cabinets going well with your granite. I originally wanted to get darker cabs, but my husband wanted very light. We compromised on a medium stain. It looks fine, but I think darker would have been better : )

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

Agreed with everyone here. Like laurie_2008, I had wanted a darker stain on our cabs to go with our light granite. Hubby was afraid it would be too dark so we wound up going lighter. I seriously dislike it as it washes out the granite amd makes it look dingy.

Your granite and cabs look great together. When we were out searching Hubby had a mantra that we stuck by - paint color is the easiest thing to change/modify. Focus on the granite and cabinet color.

Here is a link that might be useful: pics of our kitchen in progress in case you're interested

• nicepants
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the replies! I'm happy to say that I stuck with my original choice. The walls are painted and most of the granite is in...here are a couple of photos.

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

I think it looks much better than the sample in the store. It looks so much better in the kitchen than it did in the lot at the fabricator too.

I never really (and still don't) notice the pinkish hues that some of you mentioned, but I do have trouble with some colors.

More photos to come once everything is done!

Laurie - I love your subway tile backsplash....I'm thinking of doing that in one of our bathrooms.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

I am loving, loving, loving your kitchen! It looks gorgeous! GREAT choices you made. I even love the green color on the walls. It looks so pretty! I am so happy for you. I am also loving the glass fronts on the upper cabs. Do they lift up to open or do they go to the side?

• Laurie
    15 years ago

Your kitchen looks amazing!!! I love the dark cabs with that granite : ) Those white cabinets with glass add visual variety to your cabs. It's hard to tell on my monitor...are those nickel or ss square hardware knobs on the cabinet doors above the white doors? What faucets are you going to install?
    Keep progress pictures coming!

pbrisjar - I tried to pick on your link twice and got an "error report"....I'll try using a different browser and see what happens. I would really like to see your kitchen, too!

• redroze
    15 years ago

Nicepants, your kitchen is so beautiful! Love that pop of green paint. Are you keeping it that way (since you mentioned you wanted a backsplash)? It provides a nice contrast to your dark cabs and light granite.