Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pb_abby

2 pulls or 1 on Dish Drawers?

pb_abby
13 years ago

Do you have 1 pull or 2 on your 30" drawers and does this cause issues when you pull open with 1 hand? I'm adding dish drawers to my island and the KD has put one 3" cup pull centered on each of the drawers and I'm not sure if two would be more appropriate. I don't want to compromise function since I'll be opening with 1 hand.

Comments (15)

• marcydc
    13 years ago

I have 1 6 inch pull in the middle of 36" drawers.
    What I read was one would be better since one tends to open drawers with one hand and it would mean not pulling on only 1 side only.

• davidro1
    13 years ago

for drawer appliances like dw or fridge or freezer I would only put pulls in the middle so that (as mentioned above) the yank only pulls from the absolute center.

• stacys
    13 years ago

There have been previous discussions, and it seems common to use 2 pulls on drawers over 30" and 1 on less than 30".

I have 2 30" drawers and I put on 2 pulls, I use only 1 to open them and they function fine. It's all about the drawer hardware.

Note I have a small drawer under an upper cabinet (rests on counter), I put 1 pull on it and knobs on the cabinet doors and it looks like a smiley face. Wish I stuck with 2 pulls now that I see it but oh well!

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

I plan on using one longer pull but I want a more contemporary look.

• bostonpam
    13 years ago

I use one pull for my larger drawers per marcy and david's comments above. I went with restoration hardware since you can buy the same pull in different widths - 3", 4", 6", 8", 10" and 12". I got the Gilmore pulls in 2 sizes.

Here is a link that might be useful: restoration hardware pulls

• jakabedy
    13 years ago

We used a single 9"-wide pull for all drawers, 15" to 36". Ours is a contemporary slab kitchen and the pulls are modern. If I were using smaller cup-pulls in a traditional kitchen, I might go with 2 on drawers wider than 30".

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

I have 8" pulls on my 30" and 36" drawers and love them. My son's dresser has two pulls per drawer and I don't understand it. One pull is way more comf for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: my drawers with single pull

• auzzy
    13 years ago

I have the dish drawers and have one pull on each drawer. Don't see any reason to put two on.

• sue36
    13 years ago

I have one 4" pull on all, including 36". Two is not necessary and can be an issue if "some people" don't use both.

• marcydc
    13 years ago

Hey, I know those dreaded "some people"!

• theresse
    13 years ago

I agree with everyone who is hesitant to put two on, unless the drawer is so incredibly wide and fully-loaded that two hands are necessary to pull it out (e.g. on my old built-in buffet drawers in my dining room...those can barely open when using two hands!). I think having a free hand in a kitchen is a good thing.

I think I'm getting the Gilmore pulls from Restoration Hardware because I too like those different lengths. I'll put the 4" pulls on my wide drawers (they're about 24.5 or 25" wide, not including their frames around them) and the 6" pull on my integrated dishwasher front. The only beef I have with them is that they're SO COMMON (I see them on just about every picture, everywhere)! But then I also have to remember that most people who see them will be family, friends and neighbors and most of them won't know how common they are out here in cyberspace like the rest of us do - haha.

Here's a pic of my husband holding up the 6" pull to our 25"-or-so-wide drawers (prior to drawer fronts being installed, so the drawers look strange, sorry!):

...and here's the 4" pull held up to same drawer:

You can see the 6" bin pull sitting on the counter above our dishwasher in the following photo. Its front hasn't been put on yet but when it has, it will be a little wider (whatever standard width is for dishwashers):

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Theresse...so excited to see your finished kitch. Loving the uppers with that hardware!

• marcy96
    13 years ago

I have one 6" pull on my 33" pots/pans drawers. It works fine, even with the heavy pots/pans in the drawers. It's much easier to just use one hand to open the drawer, especially when you are cooking.
    {{!gwi}}

• calypsochick
    13 years ago

We put two 3 inch bin pulls on our drawers which are 30 inches wide. I just thought it looked better aesthetically, and you can still easily open the drawers if just pulling on one. I would recommend using some good quality hardware, though!

• theresse
    13 years ago

Thanks Sabjimata! However it's nowhere near finished, sadly! :( Yes the lower cabinets and face frames are in and painted (and the sink/faucet's in), but the drawer fronts and cabinet doors and hardware aren't on yet. The upper cabinets and their hardware are all very old, actually! They're staying that way...although I'll probably paint them.

Friday, they're installing the stainless countertop, and soon after (let's hope!) the white honed marble subway tile will go in behind that. THEN the outlet plates, etc., THEN the under-cab lights, THEN the pendant light above sink and semi-flush-mounted light in center of kitchen ceiling. Our island's too small for any nice pendants there. We'll also remove the pot rack for more openness above.