Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prettykitty1971

Prettykitty's Classic Vintage White Victorian Lacanche Kitchen

prettykitty1971
15 years ago

I have been asked by several to post my kitchen redo so, here goesforgive the repeatsÂforgive the length...

We began designing a rework of our home in 2004. The back of the house (where the kitchen is located) was okay and livable, but it did not flow or have any stylistic continuity to the front of the house, which is so amazing in itself. I felt like I was in a different house when in the kitchen. The main part of the house was built in 1890 and still has a Victorian feel, the kitchen and breakfast room and porches were built about 1920 in the Craftsman era and kept being added onto and changed  to the point that an "extra" half bath had been added jutting out into a hallway and disrupting important flow. There were a few things that had been done that would make me stare and say "why???" The kitchen also felt very far away from the living areas of the house.

I have slipped in "before" shots where appropriate on the web album.

before:

From Our 1890 home and kitchen remodel/restoration

after: same view

The house was near museum quality in the front rooms, but it was like entering the twilight zone in the kitchen and breakfast room, breakfast room (yes, 2 of them) and bathroom(s). Our house had 2 nightmarish half baths downstairs, one of which had been built in the middle of a major passage way and was so small a space that the previous owner who had built it bumped out the opposite wall just a funky bit to accommodate the space. I would not even allow people to use that bath as it was not vented properly (think smelly) and would not flush well (think plunger). Mainly, we wanted to restore the architectural integrity to the back of the house, which included removing a diagonal path and countertop that was the main path to the kitchen, raising doorways up to 10 feet to match the doorways in the original house  kitchen doorways etc, were all 7 & 8 feet, one directly behind a 10 foot opening, so it was readily apparent something was amiss. Another goal was getting a back door and opening up our back porch which had been totally enclosed and door removed  the room that went nowhere with a window looking into the current kitchen. I also was determined to have French doors from the kitchen that went out to a deck which was the same elevation as the kitchen floor, to the North, shady side of our property.

We hired an architect that we had worked with previously with great success  we saw eye to eye on everything. After several attempts, he fired ME  not the other way around. He would not draw what I wanted, kept giving me drawings of what he thought we should do, that we should work with what had been done to the house  "donÂt open the old back porch, build on a new one; put the bathroom in the old porch," etc. That was $3000 down the tubesÂwe were already starting out in the negative! A dear architect friend of mine said she would work on the design. She drew what I wanted. I would ask for suggestions, but she assured me that my ideas made sense and would be really improving our home. The drawings were not cheap, but it was well worth it and we are even better friends, although, I was afraid I would be fired at any moment!

Our cabinet maker said he was going to get me a nice "johnny-back" cabinet for over the toilet, I said no, you're going to make this...

A word about the bathroom: I loved this apron sink but knew I could not use it in the kitchen with the island we wanted, so I came up with this cabinet. The floor is American Restoration Tile and includes encaustic tiles. I almost went with white subway tile, but I felt it would be too utilitarian for the space, so these are travertine stone cut into bricks. They are the kind with holes and I paid a large fortune for the tiler not to fill the holes with grout! Many like the bathroom more than the kitchen. We had a family member who was very much a sportsman and inherited all his fishing and hunting items and gear and have chosen to use it in decorating to add a bit a masculinity to the house and we loved him very much so we enjoy having it around us.

I have to say that I am proud of myself for coming up with this design, the architect drew it, but it was all me and my husband thinking it out and after living a year in the house, we knew what we needed and how we need it to look. I am picky if you havenÂt figured it out.

The basis for the design was figuring out where the openings had to be in the rooms. I wanted the French doors on the north wall, we had to have the passage to the dining room, and we needed a double opening to the breakfast room. So with all that, that dictated where we could and couldnÂt have cabinets, a stove, a sink, etc. We were also returning the flow to the back of the house, so that made it easier to figure out where the back hall need to go and what was left over would become the new full bath. I will admit that in the days leading up to the wreaking crew coming, I was still trying to figure out if we could get a better layout out of the space.

after receiving yet another delivery from ebay, my husband asked how many historic fixtures I had purchased, my quiet response "I don't know..."

How I came to have a Lacanche range (www.frenchranges.com): One day I was researching Thermador rangers and ended up on the Gardenweb forums. Someone had written that if you are considering a Thermador then you should take a look at one of these and provided a link to a photo of what turned out to be a Lacanche range. I showed the photo to our neighbor, who we had been taking care of everyday for the past 2 years, just to show him. He was always taking cooking classes, taking photos of his food, practicing garnishes, buying every kitchen gadget on the market, etc. He had a digital Wolf range that he was in love with so I knew he would appreciate seeing this beautiful stove  I didnÂt know such a thing even existed. Paul saw the French Range  the Lacanche  and said "You NEED that in your kitchen!" I said "No, I donÂt need anything of the sort" (our previous range was 30 years old, so anything would have been better, a camping stove would have been an improvement!) and he said "You NEED that stove!" He insisted on buying me that stove as his gift to the kitchenÂit was also his idea that our cabinets go all the way up the 12 foot walls  "you might as well go all the way with this." My husband likes to say he had to pay for the kitchen to go with the Lacanche!

Given how my main hobby has to do with historic preservation, I knew I wanted a classic kitchen. I wanted marble countertops and inset cabinet doors and those French doors! I spent hundreds of dollars buying kitchen magazines and found several key ideas from that process. The glass front cabinets and the stainless steel countertop on either side of the French Lacanche range came from one layout I found, the open shelves from another and the pink pantry from yet another photo from a magazine (theirs was bright yellow!). Our butlerÂs pantry was actually in our historic house plans from 1920, so we just recreated it. About our butlerÂs pantry: the bottom 2 cabinets on the left are false fronts  they donÂt open  they are where the air return in located. The vents are on the opposite side in the back stair hall, so this just camouflages the box of the air return.

air return in the bottom cabinets

The glass cabinets, I thought about that problem of food storage and how unattractive that is and how to make glass front cabinets work for me. I just felt glass would be more appropriate for the look I wanted - it just looks elegant to me and says "original" although IÂm sure that most true Victorian cabinets had wood fronts. I planned what would go in the cabinets before we got too far in design. I have about 3 complete sets of china in addition to two sets of everyday dishes and needed a place to put/display them, so then I needed a place for food. ItÂs hard to visualize how much space you need for food when your food is all packed up for construction! I happened to have a little nook (it was our downstairs half bath, you could get your knees knocked off if someone tried to enter the bathroom while you were on the toilet!) that we originally designed as a desk area, that I made into "the pink pantry" which actually goes around a corner and is behind the refrigerator, where all the mess of the pantry is along with microwave and toaster oven. The part of the pantry that is visible (if you're at the main sink or range)stays neat and tidy given the way that it is designed - narrow shelves for spices, baking ingredients and display. I saw it in a magazine with its Victorian-ish trim and gave it to my carpenter and he just went to work. The counter in the pantry is just wood - out of money for any other surface and since there is not a sink in there it is not a problem. It is painted pink as that is the color that my 4 year old picked out - it was a compromise as she wanted the entire kitchen to be pink! She also wanted Dora the Explorer knobs - yes, there is such a thing - but I put my foot down on that!

Where the "extra bathroom" had been removed at the back stairs and other demolition had taken place near the new/old back door, we found exterior sub walls under the plaster and sheetrock. In old houses this material is something like 1 x 6 set on the diagonal. I had been thinking about paint colors and what I was going to do with all this extra wall and I decided how wonderful it would be if it were returned to its exterior foundations  wood siding. I love texture and my contractor thought I was nuts, but he did do the siding for me and milled corner pieces for near the back door. We painted the siding the cream trim color like the rest of our interior house. This really added a wonderful historic and unique quality to the project. The house really looks like itÂs evolved and been added on to in a rather careful way.

Exterior siding and trim on the inside

For our back hallway we mimicked the wainscoting that is in our foyer and dining room, but on a cheaper level  we used bead board and MDF. The bead board wainscoting is the cheaper stuff: it does not have as deep cuts/lines/beads as the good stuff and the flat vertical and cross pieces are not wood, they are that MDF that they are always making stuff out of on HGTV. The top piece is wood trim.

bead board wainscoting

When I was picking out materials for our kitchen I finally reached a moment where I was afraid that the kitchen would be nicer than the rest of the house - which I did not want at all - so I began to try to pick out elements from the original house that could be reproduced in the kitchen, if only in variation, like the wainscoting and the slider doors instead of pocket doors.

We have 4 countertop surfaces(it works because you can only see 2 at anyone time), one of which is unpolished black granite, which looks a lot like soapstone, then marble, polished granite and stainless steel. I really wanted a veined marble for the island and despite everyone, even the marble contractor telling me I did not want that as my island, I got it.

I chose polished marble on the back splash so the gray veining would pick up the gray of the stainless steel, but I also considered bead board (we used it on our butler's pantry, I really love the look and it can be an economical choice if you get the "fake" stuff) and painted pressed tin. We have the marble island and love it and all of it's etchings that my 3 kids inflict upon it. They are not really noticeable unless you look for them.

We have slider doors on reproduction barn door hardware (www.barndoorhardware.com) that divide our kitchen and breakfast room. Our house has pocket doors, but we could not afford to build 2 walls, so this was another research project and something we are really happy with and that everyone marvels over. I really think it turned out better than pocket doors would have and it is unexpected, which I like.

Our cabinets are creamy white with feet for an unfitted look. I did choose to get appliances that will take a custom panel, to be hidden into the cabinetry - careful if you get inset cabinet doors (where the door closes flush into the cabinet box) appliances that take a panel are designed to take full overlay doors  we just barely avoided a crisis situation that would have required me to be tried for murder. The main cabinets go all the way up the 12 foot walls, it is quite impressive looking, but fits the style of our home. Our bathroom cabinet is painted a red to give the impression of old wood - I could not afford to have "good wood" so came up with a color that happened to work really well for us. I bought most of my reproduction hardware from Van Dyke's restorers, Historic House Parts, and Rejuvenation, all online. I have different types of drawer and door pulls, just one or two in key areas, to help the kitchen look as if it evolved (Two are fish pulls, I love them!). Our kitchen finally feels like it goes with the rest of our home.

One other thing that worked out really well for us: you will notice in the web pictures that originally there were 2 windows on the wall where the stove goes. The outside of our house is a rough stucco (it was "smothered" in stucco about 1920, the Victorian gingerbread and elements are under the stucco  visible in our attic!) and I doubted that my contractor could match the stucco to my specifications  we had already had previously unsuccessful attempts on other stucco repairs. On the outside of our house, the windows appear to be there  I had wood shutters installed in the openings, the windows simply look shuttered. ItÂs a nice touch to our exterior and I did not have to worry about the stucco being less than perfect.

Lacanche Range, Sully Model - High performance, dual-fuel, double-oven stoves from France, one oven is electric, the other gas, top is gas and has the French cast-iron simmer plate over one of the two 18,000 BTU burners.

16 colors and finishes available www.lacancheusa.com

Bosch Dishwasher

Range vent-a-hood: Rangecraft

Ice maker  Marvel Industries

Compactor - Kitchenaid

Shaws Original Fireclay Apron Front Farm Sink by Rohl

Blanco stainless steel bar sink

Perrin and Rowe nickel plated sink faucets and sprayers Stainless Steel Countertops and range shelf by Bray Sheet

Antique fixtures bought on ebay, polished and wired by local craftman

Comments (44)

• minette99
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Stunning. Just beautiful in so many ways. Thanks for sharing the photos and the descriptions. It was so enjoyable to read this.
    How do you like the range? Also what is the size of the kitchen now?
    You must be so thrilled and proud of this!

• alice462
    15 years ago

Exquisite! A true work of art -- your attention to detail and willingness to "think outside the box" have given you a kitchen that maintains the historical integrity of your home and will be a treasure for years to come, thanks so much for sharing -- it is beautiful!

• sayde
    15 years ago

Thank you so much for sharing this. You should expand this into a magazine article a la Tracy Kidder's "House." I loved your story about your neighbor and the Lacanche -- your kitchen is a work of real love. Also enjoyed hearing how you came up with the idea for the cabinet around the bathroom sink. You are really an inspiration. Can't thank you enough for sharing all this!!!!

• Vivian Kaufman
    15 years ago

Oh, that's lovely... Wow. The barn door hardware is EXCELLENT. Everything is perfect.

Definitely on my favorites list!

If I ask nicely, can I see your pink pantry? :)

• deegw
    15 years ago

Thank you for posting this. You seem to truly be a graceful person. You did a spectacular job designing your space around an amazing present.

• tkln
    15 years ago

Absolutely stunning.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

It is gorgeous. Elegant and gorgeous. I would love to see the rest of the house as well. You have an exquisite attention to detail. I KNOW the house is loving you for that. I am so glad there are folks like you out there that love old homes and are taking care of them. They are gems to be treasured. Yours shines brightly!

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

Prettykitty,
    What a great post about a very incredible kitchen. Thank you for sharing with us the pics and details. It is surely to be one of the GW favorites. Loved hearing about how you found your Lacanche, as we found ours here on GW as well. Paul's generous gift to you speaks volumes about the kind of person you must be.

• farmhousebound
    15 years ago

Thank you so much for your post and pics. I will echo others in that this would make a great article in one of the home/kitchen magazines and would love to see the rest of house. You did such a wonderful job w/ all of the details - just hope mine comes out half as nice! (And thank you for answering my barn door hardware question in the other post. I have shown to DH and it has been bookmarked for when we get to that portion of our reno.)

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

I found by clicking on any of the pics it take you to prettykitty's photoalbum which has so pics of her lovely home.
    What a house! and you are a very talented lady! Just beautiful.

We are awaiting the installation of our Lacanche and I wanted to ask you how you like cooking on your Cluny?

• igloochic
    15 years ago

Your kitchen and your beautiful Lacanche (just like mine heh heh) is gorgeous. I actually so much love this I'm bookmarking it because we're looking at buying two victorians and your kitchen is exactly what they should be!

I have to tell you...I lost my coffee when I read this:

"after receiving yet another delivery from ebay, my husband asked how many historic fixtures I had purchased, my quiet response "I don't know..."

Literally...DITTO here too LOL We're finally installing them (after the inspections were finished) now and I absolutely love my antique fixtures. The kitchen went up Friday and today will be the master bedroom and bath as well as the closet.

So my question to you is....How many extra's did you end up with LOL I have five eight antiques I don't have space for in this house, and five reproductions that don't fit either. So honestly I didn't know how many I purchased heh heh Oh wait, there's another one in the garage here at the rental that was supposed to be in the powder room...Ok 11 extra's :oP Did you fit all of yours in?

• prettykitty1971
    Original Author
    15 years ago

To All you kind people: you are making me cry! I feel like I am getting my academy award for all my hard work in your comments, thank you so much. Several of you with the comments about my character - all I can say it that I am a character!

As pluckymama found, you should be able to get to my web album by clicking on any of the photos in the posts. I have tried to do the album in a logical manor with how the house is laid out and some before pics thrown in the appropriately with after pics.

Pluckymama, our range is a Sully and we absolutely love it! Like I said in the original post, our previous stove was 30 years old and anything would have been an improvement. However, I spent the last 2 years cooking on Paul's digital Wolf, which has every bell and whistle imaginable, oven light, self cleaning, bread proofer, built in gridle, blue interior and I am here to tell you that I love my Sully! I have really enjoyed teaching our girls to cook on it and everyone is excited to cook - we "get" to cook, especially since we are soooo out of money - no eating out for us!

There were several things I meant to put in the posting,but forgot, I was really afraid the forum would reject all the copy! We built this HUGE deck off the kitchen but I did not want a railing - I did not want it to look like a deck - I had steps wrap it on three sides, now it looks like a Mayan temple, or our own person stage, but we really enjoy the look and people in our neighborhood are starting to mimic the design. There are 2 simple built-in benches that act as barriers on sides that tie into the house. I'm not sure that's apparent in the photos.

Thanks again for all your compliments. We feel so fortunate to get to live in our particular house and to have gotten to do our kitchen, etc., and enjoy sharing it, especially if it helps anyone with their design and ideas.

• amck2
    15 years ago

Thank you for sharing the photos of your beautiful kitchen and especially for the time you took to describe the process that went into its creation. Most times when we see Before & Afters in magazines and on TV there's that huge gap of information on how you get from formulating the plan to the end result - and rarely a mention of any snags on the way.

This post will inspire a lot of people in the planning stages of a renovation. And for those of us who've recently completed our kitchens, well, we'll file away some ideas for future remodels....

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

Now THAT'S a Cinderella story complete with photos! A joy to look at and to read your narrative. I could move right in. It is truly a lovely, lovely kitchen. Tell your 4 year old that the pantry is just THE perfect pink color! any more photos?

• jrtgal
    15 years ago

Prettykitty thank you for sharing I LOVE your kitchen - it's more inspiration for me when I needed it!

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

Me too -- I loved reading your story(-ies) alongside your photos: everything made sense and even though I don't know you at all, I feel a great connection to your new space!

My two favorite things are: 1) the glass front cabinets holding food. I love that. I just love that. That's how you know a kitchen is real and not just for show. I have pretty much zero regrets about my kitchen, but when I see that (open food display, not just pretty tchotchke display [as, admittedly, I have!]) it does give me pause, making me think "what if I'd done that ...". 2) Your pink pantry! Pink's my favorite color and I'm not sure this world can ever have enough pink. I smiled smiled smiled seeing your (incredibly organized) pink pantry.

Good job!

• cotehele
    15 years ago

I doubt I could find anything more to say that has already been said; your kitchen and addition are just perfect. I appreciate the explanation and story with your photographs. It is such a help working through the design process. We are adding a porch and laundry to the side of the house, and I never thought of using the wood siding as a wall surface. You bet that is on my list now :) Thanks again.

• kelleg69
    15 years ago

It is wonderful. My favorite part is the pink shelving. Love the detail on it. I don't know how to do it, but you need to get your kitchen into Mary Engelbreit's Home Companion. It is perfect for her magazine. Great job. Love the barn hardware too. What is great is that your kitchen has a ton of personality.

• prettykitty1971
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Aw Shucks, you guys are the best!!!

Pluckymama and Igloochic: are you members of the Lacanche owners forum? They have something going right now that if you are one of the 1st 10 posters(since last week) you will receive a Lacanche apron. Stan emailed just awhile ago tell me my apron was on the way - I'll sell it to the highest bidder to help offset cost overruns on my kitchen! Just kidding...although my husband would like everyone to know that he is taking donations to help having to cope with "my exquisite design taste."

Glad so many of you like the wood siding idea, I really enjoy looking at it everyday, no kidding. We also have siding in our upstairs sunroom/office, which it what inspired me. It used to be the exterior of the house with a porch and the porch was enclosed with the triple hung windows in the '20's. I don't have an interior shot, but the triple hungs are on the second story in this shot. Again, click on the photo and it will take you to my album of the house and kitchen/bath remodel.

We had a TON of ups and downs with our project. We were supposed to be in construction for 4 months, but it really took a year and we were out of our home 9 months (we moved in with Paul our next door neighbor - all 5 of us!) Toward the end, May 2007, I actually said to our contractor over the phone, in my most stern and reprimanding voice "it's hard to appreciate how beautiful you have made my kitchen when you keep screwing up even the new stuff that you put in!" His response, "I know." He did not want to put the siding on the wall, but later came back and asked me if "he" hadn't had a good idea(he was kidding, telling me I had done good).

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

Prettykitty,
    I got the email from Stan as well. I don't think our kitchen will be done in time for me to get an apron. When you get yours, post a pic :)

I have to tell you, I keep studying your kitchen pics and it just gets better and better. What an amazing kitchen! So very glad you took the time to write all of this up.

• annes_arbor
    15 years ago

Prettykitty,

This is one beautiful kitchen. I love the story of how you got your Lacanche. Paul is a gentleman of great taste--the Lacanche *and* the cabinets to the ceiling. I echo the sentiments of the previous posters--this would make a great magazine article. Thanks for sharing.

• prettykitty1971
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Pluckymama, thanks again for the compliments, I am glad if it is of any use to you or anyone else, I love to share.

I have thought of yet of a few more things. (It's been a year, so it's all slowly coming back to me - something along the lines of post traumatic stress syndrome!) Originally, our architect drew in a sub zero frig(she did this on her own, I did not even consider one until it showed up in my plans), but the only place it would fit was on that same wall with the stove and I knew I wanted those glass front cabs all the way across, I just needed that look, so we gave up the sub zero. Our stainless front fridge (whirlpool) we had and it was relatively new so we just went with it. Perhaps (one day) it's replacement might get a paneled or glass front? who knows...the Shadow Knows, sorry, that's a Paul thing.

About design. We also had the opportunity to get the Kohler Cook Sink. We still think it is the bomb, but I could not figure out where to put it, beside the stove seemed the logical option, but I just felt like it would really be cluttering up what seemed like perfection. At some point, you have to stop and realize that less really is more. That is my lesson for today, class...

I am looking for before and after floor plans, will get them posted.

I also wanted to point out that we did not add on, in fact, we reduced floor space by opening up our back porch which had been enclosed. The kitchen stayed in the same space - really! - it is just totally reconfigured and we gained the bathroom and back hall by divvying up an extra breakfast room - it had once been another back porch that was also enclosed! Floor plans soon...

• yesdear
    15 years ago

Simply magnificent. Quiet elegance, great details, and obvious respect for the integrity of your wonderful home.

The Lacanche range is an inspired choice that looks perfect in your space. (DW and I are the happy owners of a new CornuFe--obviously we share an affinity for French ranges.)

Thanks for the pictures and the narrative. Great work!!

• janefan
    15 years ago

Just echoing...out-of-this-world STUNNING!!! Your kitchen is gorgeous, thank you for sharing with us!

• catsam00
    15 years ago

You have a gorgeous kitchen and home. There are so many details - I love your range hood. Can I ask you the dimensions of the kitchen?

• irishgirl1007
    15 years ago

Lacanche Lovers: My architect has strongly recommended a Blue Star. I have a question about the Lacanache's. They are beautiful, no question. Are the ovens too small? My architect says they are quite small. Many thanks

• Nicole Valentine
    15 years ago

Stunningly beautiful - I'm all about the details and you've done great with them!

• shelayne
    15 years ago

Breathtaking. Your home is just breathtaking. Thank you for sharing the whole process. I clicked on slideshow, and then I stopped on every photo to drink in all the details. I absolutely adore old Victorians, such as yours.

Amazing job! Well done! And your Lacanche has me drooling! What a wonderful gift from someone who obviously loved you so much. Wow.

• marthavila
    15 years ago

Here's a perfect example of a kitchen I swooned when I first saw it but failed to post my praises at that time. Now that this thread has come back around and I've taken another look, I can't help but tell you that I'm still swooning (and even have a bit of drool falling from the lips!). Prettykitty-- that's one pretty kitchy! :)

Btw everyone, as Shelayne has noted, the best way to get full appreciation of this most amazing house/kitchen remodel is to take in the slideshow. What a treat!

• clash
    15 years ago

What an incredible kitchen!! I'm using your pictures for inspiration in my own kitchen project. I love that color green in your back hallway. Its so unique and goes so well with the bright white trim. Would you mind passing along the color name if you remember it?

Thanks!

• prettykitty1971
    Original Author
    15 years ago

irishgirl1007 - my daughters are Eilis(pronouced Ilish), Brogan and Rory...we went with the Sully because it has the larger ovens. I already own some very nice cookware that I wanted to be sure I would be able to use and one of my nicer roasters would not fit in the smaller/less expensive ovens, so measure your cook ware, if that helps you make a decision. I just measured and my Sully ovens are 21 1/8 wide and 12 1/2 inches tall and about 19 inches depth - to the back of the oven. Lacanche has all the different model dimensions, you owe it to yourself to check it out!

Thanks for the compliments, it really gives me the warm fuzzies!

• prettykitty1971
    Original Author
    15 years ago

marthavila, shelayne, ndvweb, and clash, thank you for all the compliments, you bring tears to my eyes, really. That kitchen was such a labor of love and not many can appreciate all the details that went into it, but I know you all do, and thanks so much. We fee we are very fortunate to get to live here, to have done the kitchen and to get to share it. I'm glad you are getting inspiration from my perspiration!

Clash, I believe that green is Sherwin Williams Split Pea, I do not have the number handy. It's a fun color, good luck!

• la_koala
    15 years ago

prettykitty, would you please share what color you used for your dining room?

Your dining room looks *exactly* like I want mine to look, when I am done taking off my wallpaper. My husband is afraid the dark color will be overpowering. I'd like to use your photos to convince him just how awesome it can look :-)

Thanks in advance!

• prettykitty1971
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I could not remember the name or the company of the paint, so I had to go out to the garage - just for you!

It is Portsmouth Spice by Farrell Calhoun. Thanks for the compliment on my dining room, it has only taken 5 years to get it to the right color and everyone loves it! It was the last room I painted about 4 years ago and turned out to be soooo wrong, but I was sick of painting and just left it. It was basically Tennessee Vols orange! I really did put in lower wattage light bulbs to cut down on the brightness - didn't help too much, but some! If your husband is concerned about brightness, tell him that story. Another color that was in that room was a maroon red, which was way too dark - the color when we moved here. It is a north facing room and is sandwiched between other rooms which receive natural light, so it gets virtually no sunlight, thus making the room dark on it's own. I think you will be very pleased with this color as it is brighter than most terracotta/reds...Good Luck!

• la_koala
    15 years ago

Hey, thanks for looking up the color name for me!

I apologize for not thanking you earlier. I lost track of this thread when it got bumped down by all of the frequent Kitchen postings. :-)

It is a really great color, thanks again!

• joy20
    15 years ago

Beautiful Kitchen! Would you mind going into further detail about the potential problem with inset cabinets and panneled appliances? I'm getting inset cabinets & want panneled appliances but don't want them to stick out or be obvious as I have seen in some pictures. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

• labradoodlemom
    15 years ago

Your whole house is amazing! It gives me hope that we will eventually turn our 1700 house into a masterpiece like yours! :-) Job superbly done!
    I'm wondering, do you know the paint colors for your cream kitchen cabinets and for the red hutch cabinet? These are exactly what I'm looking for! TIA!!!

• prettykitty1971
    Original Author
    15 years ago

joy20,

all your appliances will have spec sheets and your contractor/cabinet builder should be fully aware of the specs(measurements for depth and width) and if you are having inset doors, they need to accommodate for the doors shutting flush within the cabinet box by building the cabinet box deeper...this is so simple, but critical if they screw it up. Most spec sheets only allow for "overlay doors" - doors that close on the outside of the box, not into it...make sure your carpenter takes this into account!

labradoodlemom,
    benjamin moore's coppermine is the red cabinet...the white cabs are custom to match our trim, but very close to Sherwin Williams Navajo white 6126

Good luck!

• antiquesilver
    15 years ago

Prettykitty, I don't know how I missed your kitchen showing last fall, but I'm sitting at the computer with my jaw dropped, muttering WOW over & over! Everything I saw on the slideshow was sensational. As the owner of an old house with cabinets all the way up, I'm raising a glass to you for having the b*lls to build unstacked cabinets to the ceiling - & your ceiling is a foot taller than mine! I don't remember seeing any others like it.

• buddyrose
    15 years ago

lovely. How wonderful to have a kitchen so large you can have stainless, marble and granite counter tops. Wow. Good job.

I love that your original guy fired YOU. LOL.

• lizg_inmd
    15 years ago

Hi Prettykitty,

You have an absolutely gorgeous kitchen. I was wondering if you would share how you like the stainless countertops. How are they holding up? Is it hard to keep them clean? Do they scratch easily? Also, any details you could provide about them (what gauge, finish, etc) would be great. I am considering one stainless area near the stove as well with the rest of the kitchen being marble. Thanks for any information you can share.

Liz

• rbbloch_earthlink_net
    12 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful! I was wondering, did you buy the stainless backsplash with the Lacanche range, or is it from a different company?

• cupofkindnessgw
    3 years ago

Thank you, PrettyKitty! What a beautiful and unique kitchen. I love your choices. Gorgeous!